• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

reversing a 50mm lens

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I want to have a go at reversing a 50mm lens for macro stuff. I need one with an aperture ring. What is the cheapest one that will be alright for this task? A photographer I was speaking to a couple of weeks ago said I should be able to pick one up on ebay for about a tenner, as any lens would do, so doesnt 'matter if it one from the older film cameras.

Is this right, and if so, what should I be looking for on ebay?

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Another question, if I reverse the 50mm onto another one of my lenses, do I need to change any aperture settings on the 50 or just let the camera control the aperture on the lens attached to the camera? Would the 50 by default be wide open?

shotokan101

Banned
...or put a WANTED ad on the Forum Classifieds - someone may have an old one kicking around for postage price...

ned61

You just need a reversing ring, to suit the filter size of your lens and mount direct to your body. As you say any 50mm lens with an aperture ring and manual focus will do the trick. Most macro lenses are F2.8.

Killwilly

This is a pic of a ballpoint pen taken with a Helios 58mm reverse mounted on a Helios 135mm. I prefer to use manual lenses for reverse lens work, simply because I find them easier to set the aperture and focus.

When I took this one. I had the reversed lens fully open, f2 and the focus set to infinity. The aperture setting and focusing was done on the 135mm lens attached to the camera.

A few years ago, it was possible to buy a lens for as little as £10 off eBay, but sadly today they appear to be demanding higher prices. I would suggest trying your local charity shops. I have bought several manual M42 fit lenses from charity shops, which have been in perfect condition.

2x Helios stacked by killwilly, on Flickr

shotokan101

Banned
What does this mean "Adapters will depress an auto pin so that the lens is effectively manual. This lens does not have an auto/manual switch, but does have a spring loaded stop-down button."?

I think that's referring to if you mount the lens directly to your camera via a mount to M42 adapter (i.e. not reversed) and in that case the pin on the lens that would allow the aperture to be auto controlled by a compatible camera will be pressed to disengage that...

shotokan101

Banned
Just done that. Any chance you can check it, as every time I try to open the ad I get a 403 error. Very odd.

I can see the post but not it's contents - 403 forbidden and that's wih any classified ad... :(

shotokan101

Banned
Canon FD lens work ok? There seems to be a load kicking about on ebay pretty cheap.

The mount isn't important as long as the lens has a manual aperture control ring - and not even that if you're using it as KW says above with it reversed on another lens :)

shotokan101

Banned
BTW - anyone else having problems editing their posts at the moment - I can post but get "Error 403 Forbidden" if I try and save an edit :(

RobDickinson

You can reverse a canon EF lens too. Just set the aperture you want normally, hold the DOF preview button so it stops down, and unmount the lens at the same time.

its a pain, but then reverse mount lenses for macro are all about pain I think...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom