Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Reversed 7.1 Surround Sound?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Hawklord, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Can anyone recomend a decent sound card that has digital optical s/p dif out. I have a home cinema setup at one end of my lounge and my pc directly opposite. I would be connecting the card to my av receiver and would require the imaging to be reversed so that any signal that would go through the fronts in actual fact would come through the rears and vice versa.I know a lot of games allow reverse stereo but I've not really heard of reverse 7.1 surround sound or if it even exists.
    any feedback would be much appreciated

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I think the only way to do it would be to just connect the soundcard to the amp via the analog outputs to the 7.1-in on your amp, that way you would attach the Front Left output of your card to the Rear Right input of the amp and so on.

I presume this is so that you can play games on the pc whilst facing away from your amp/TV. If so why dont you get a video card with TV out and just play on your home theatre? Wireless mouse and keyboard and you'll be rockin!

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I had thought of that solution but my sacd player is already utilising the 7.1 inputs. Thanks for the suggestion but it's back to the drawing board!!!!!!
    thanks m8

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Well in that case you only have 1 choice - The nvidia soundstorm. Seeing as your SACD is taking up your analog inputs, you will need a sound card that will encode games into a Dolby Digital bitstream in real time. The only sound chipset that I know of that can do this right now is the built-in one on the Nvidia Nforce 1 and 2 motherboard. Other sound cards will have SPDIF out, but this will only pass DD and DTS bitstreams from dvds (or divx movies with AC3 sound). Gaming and music and so on when passed through the SPDIF will be in stereo pcm only.

I doubt there will be an option to remap the channels before encoding to DD, but you never know....

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I'll check the usual suspects for this card. I had a quick look at the audigy 2 but will compare specs with the card you suggested. My mobo is an msi K7ng2 but only supports on board realtek alc650 6 channel audio but doesn't come with toslink out as std. I could purchase the t bracket but I think I'll go the upgrade route ultimately.
    thanks again

6. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Are you sure you dont mean K7N2G? I couldnt find any info on the K7NG2, however the K7N2G is an NVIDIA Nforce 2 based board.

AH but it needs the MCP2-T chipset which only comes on the K7N2G-ILSR!

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    your quite right it's k7n2g-L i got a bit dyslexic