Reverse Macro Technique

And you do that how? I don't recall there being anything on the lens to indicate infinity?

Cool.
Is there much advantage of reversing over extension tubes other than the available light needed? I see you mentioned compact size too.

This symbol, should be on all your lenses.

infinity.jpg

Thats bout it, extensions dont really worsen IQ as theres no extra glass. Could say thats all, but the light thing makes a big difference as with most photography and lenses.

Last edited:

Thats bout it, extensions dont really worsen IQ as theres no extra glass. Could say thats all, but the light thing makes a big difference as with most photography and lenses.

I don't recall but will check when I get home.

Hopefully the light wont be an issue when I get my flash, however, will mean the flash will always need to be on there!

Might try the reverse technique too.
Do you bother with the adaptor or just hold the lens?

Last edited:
Adapter, to cumbersome without. Can hold to test the first few times to see if youre actually gonna get into it.

Flash does help but you may find it bounces over the subject so may need a diy rig to angle it.

Adapter, to cumbersome without. Can hold to test the first few times to see if youre actually gonna get into it.

Flash does help but you may find it bounces over the subject so may need a diy rig to angle it.

Good point.

Will any reverse adapter ring do? They seem to start at around £3 upto around £20 on ebay.

See the one I linked to, it needs to be the same size as your lenses filter thread.

See the one I linked to, it needs to be the same size as your lenses filter thread.

Yeah I worked that bit out :laugh:

I just meant in terms of quality etc. I'll just bite the bullet and try one. :thumbsup:

I ordered from the same place I got my extension tubes from on the bay - Digital Accessories. Was pleased with the tubes, so hopefully they will be as good for the adapter too. :)

Man this is hard.....had a go on some "not so static" flowers and its really tricky to get focus...how you do this with insects is beyond me.

I saw this on flickr

"In order to do macro, you need at least F22. If your lenses only close to F16, chances are they will not be good enough for macro work."

Why is that ?Is it DOF ? My lens only shuts down to f16 but I find if I use that everything is so dark I cant see anything on the screen, which is obviously only going to get worse stopping down even more :confused:

Man this is hard.....had a go on some "not so static" flowers and its really tricky to get focus...how you do this with insects is beyond me.

I saw this on flickr

"In order to do macro, you need at least F22. If your lenses only close to F16, chances are they will not be good enough for macro work."

Why is that ?Is it DOF ? My lens only shuts down to f16 but I find if I use that everything is so dark I cant see anything on the screen, which is obviously only going to get worse stopping down even more :confused:
That statement is far too general to be of any use. The higher the magnification and larger the subject the smaller the aperture needs to be to get a big enough depth of field. At F22 and smaller the viewfinder starts to get so dark that it is unusable on all but the brightest of days. At 1:1 magnification (50mm reversed) F11-16 are absolutely fine - bright enough to focus properly and enough DoF to show the whole insect.

The best trick to get keepers is to take hundreds of shots :smashin:. A slight wobble back is enough to completely lose focus so getting it in one shot is almost impossible without a tripod, no wind and a dead subject.

Last edited:

That isn't on the nifty fifty, so guess you can't focus to infinity with it. :(

Cheers Twist.......although the grass was easy.....it dont move :)

Excellent. Was this reversed or with extension tubes?

How did you take this pic? Flowers-12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Is the flower in some sort of picture box?

The grass shot was with reversed 50mm...

As for the flower....well you wouldnt believe how it was actually taken. I didnt have a black background so used my 46" samsung, the only problem with this was any light in the room reflected in the tv screen, so I had to set everything up and then with flash in hand turn all the lights out, set the camera for 10 second delay, fumbled around in the dark till I found the shutter button and then "guesstimate" where to hold the flash. Metering on the camera was useless as it was metering for when the lights where on, so again this was just guessing.

The flower itself was wedged in a glass with kitchen towel to make it stay where I wanted

The grass shot was with reversed 50mm...

As for the flower....well you wouldnt believe how it was actually taken. I didnt have a black background so used my 46" samsung, the only problem with this was any light in the room reflected in the tv screen, so I had to set everything up and then with flash in hand turn all the lights out, set the camera for 10 second delay, fumbled around in the dark till I found the shutter button and then "guesstimate" where to hold the flash. Metering on the camera was useless as it was metering for when the lights where on, so again this was just guessing.

The flower itself was wedged in a glass with kitchen towel to make it stay where I wanted

Blimey, that was a lot of work for that shot. I'm going to pick up some thick black cloth soon - I was reading somewhere about this guy that uses a 2m x 2m piece of black felt. Got to make the whole thing easier :smashin:

Blimey, that was a lot of work for that shot. I'm going to pick up some thick black cloth soon - I was reading somewhere about this guy that uses a 2m x 2m piece of black felt. Got to make the whole thing easier :smashin:

Indeedy....the things we do for our art....and when were bored :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom