1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reverse 3:2 pulldown

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by aderose, Mar 29, 2002.

1. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I correct in assuming all video cards (at least those with video in) support this? Computer monitors are non-interlaced so they must have built in hardware/software conversion if they accept interlaced video signals.

Assuming I'm right, how good is the PC's pulldown? Would I be better off with a high-end dvd player?

Thanks,
    Adriano

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I'm nit HTPC guy so if I'm wrong Jeff please say...

Some PC's will do de-interlacing in software, some are encoded in a chipset. I do not think that all feature 2:3 recognistion. Event those that do may not all be created equal. This is because there isn't always a 3:2:3:2:3:2 sequence in a film based DVD in NTSC. Sometimes there may be sections of video based material sometimes there may be bad edits...a great de-interlacing solution will recognise what is going on and use the best de-interlacing algorithm for the job.

Some HTPC solutions will just look at the data flags encoded in the DVD to decide what to do with a disc. These flags can be missing or wrongly flagged causing the wrong type of processing to be used, even when the unit has 2:3 recognition. Solutions that look at the actual picture content and work on that tend to be more robust.

Hope this is a bit of use. HTPC guys please correct any mistakes I've made.

Gordon

3. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Adriano

All the recomemnded software players are flag based. This means that the pulldown is controlled by the MPEG encoder rather than the player. The only other way of doing inverse telecine (or 3:2 detection) I know of is to use DScaler.

What does this mean in practice:

Almost all films that I've ever seen have been encoded with correct flags, so if you're going to mostly watch mainstream titles then a PC player will give great quality.

Exceptions:

Animations e.g. Anime & Stuff like the Simpsons. I have seen this stuff poorly flagged but you can get decent quality by forcing BOB on most players.

Making of and extras: Some extras where they cut between studio and film sections are poorly flagged and you may see weaving on some players.

John