revenue from youtube?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by alexsally, Aug 23, 2010.

1. alexsally

alexsally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently put a video on youtube YouTube - Sea eagle meets seal on the isle of mull with Alex Sally "IMPROVED HD PLAYBACK" avchd m2ts and have just been asked to be a youtube affiliate or something like that. Basically it means get paid per click...I have used some photos in the video from my dslr...Now the amount of views I get I will probably get a cheque that will by me a coffee by Christmas :)
    But seriously putting videos together made from photographs isn't difficult and some of the pro's probably get a lot of views so I wonder if it ever gets to be even a "little" income. I also wonder if it is a "safe " way to show photo's as it wouldn't be easy to download stills from the video without a bit of hassle.
    food for thought?
    Youtube has some criteria for partner videos but a lot of photographers would have no trouble ie family friendly, original, your own work etc...
    Roll on when I can afford a dslr with HD video....
    Alex Sally

2. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    for f*** sake mate, you really have a bee in your bonnet about youtube :rolleyes:

3. Lisame

Lisame
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did youtube ask you or did some external partner ask you to add some affiliate links to your videos?
    If it is the last one, I would be careful.

With less than 5K views and only 4 videos you will not make partner. And once you make partner you will not become rich. I know a youtube partner with 800K views a month and she makes around 200-250 euro a month. An average video take 3 hours to record, edit and so on and she has around 12 videos a month. She also spends around 1 hour a day interacting with her followers.

So basicly 3 to 3,50 euro an hour. Take away the investment in camcorder, software, mic and so on and your are left with less. Plus it took her 2 years to build-up the nr of views and followers!

If you live in a 3rd world country, then 200-250 euro a month is great, if you live in west-europe or UK, then making 3 pounds an hour is not going to make you rich!