revenge of the sith dvd at your local car boot!!

You seriously think dvd would be cheaper without piracy? nah

anyway, Ive seen the film at the pictures, gonna buy the real dvd, but the pirate will do me nicely for now

pjclark1 said:
If you intend to buy the real Dvd when it is released, is getting the pirate copy first, theft?
(and if so, who are you stealing from?)

you are still participating in a crime, and in most cases passing on funds to organised crime(those dvds from the local car boot dont just turn up in the guys car by them selves you know. :D )

There is absolutly no justification for buying pirated material. And why watch a rubbish copy of the movie anyway? even if you dont like going to the cinema, its got to be better than watching poor quality dvd material thats either got a bloody great time code on it and poor sound, or peoples heads moving around in the picture.

Piracy is against the law. Now weather you agree with this law or not, at this moment in time if you buy it you are comiting and helping to comitt an ilegal act. :eek:

CrispyXUK said:
You seriously think dvd would be cheaper without piracy? nah

anyway, Ive seen the film at the pictures, gonna buy the real dvd, but the pirate will do me nicely for now

:suicide:

Part of the enjoyment of this hobby (home cinema) is watching high quality transfers and sounds, I think alot of pirate copies go to the man with just a tv and dvd player where the flaws arnt as obvious.
Cheers Gonzo.

My first pirate was an awfull copy of E.T. It was the last pirate I saw. I still don't know why people still watch them anymore.

My brother came back from New York a month ago and saw a couple of movies while there and said not only were they cheaper with better quality picture/brightness, but that the DVD's were on sale in the cinema on his way out of the films he had just seen.

He thinks we get a bad deal here.

gonzo said:
Part of the enjoyment of this hobby (home cinema) is watching high quality transfers and sounds, I think alot of pirate copies go to the man with just a tv and dvd player where the flaws arnt as obvious.
Cheers Gonzo.

Which is exactly why I will buy the proper DVD when it comes out, I don't care if im participating in a crime, I buy cheap (import) cigarettes from a guy down the pub which as far as I know is also a crime, the real crime is how much we get ripped off.

Whilst it is obvious that we the consumer are ripped off big style when purchasing dvd/cd's through legitimate sources, I would rather choose that, than help fund terrorists and drug cartels............who do you think the money eventually ends up with - some happy chirpy Del Boy type???

Hooky dvd's are just wrong for so many reasons.........end of.

CrispyXUK said:
Which is exactly why I will buy the proper DVD when it comes out, I don't care if im participating in a crime, I buy cheap (import) cigarettes from a guy down the pub which as far as I know is also a crime, the real crime is how much we get ripped off.

That's an interesting spin on things.

So do you also go into your local HMV and help yourself to anything on the shelves?

I agree that we do suffer from the effect of "Rip-Off Britain", but that doesn't mean that we should also support criminal activities because we feel oppressed by this fact.

It this black-market economy that is forcing the high prices on the high street.

As it is, you're just aiding and abetting crime.

you are still participating in a crime, and in most cases passing on funds to organised crime(those dvds from the local car boot dont just turn up in the guys car by them selves you know. )

any proof ? even fact cant prove that one if your against then fine but if you must state a "fact" please check your sources.

also is nothing is paid for the copy then no money is changing hands therefore no copyright theft takes place,
why do you think they have not made it illegal to buy copied media???

an anamorphic copy will do me till the dvd comes out that i will buy on day of release

05516f3b.bmp

dvdmike007 said:
...also is nothing is paid for the copy then no money is changing hands therefore no copyright theft takes place,
why do you think they have not made it illegal to buy copied media???...

:suicide: ?!? How can you BUY something if there is no money changing hands?

I think you will find it is illegal to buy or even download/upload copied media. Otherwise on what grounds would the record industry be able to sue peer-to-peer mp3 file sharers. (There is also news that some divx file sharers are currently being sued)

dvdmike007 said:
also is nothing is paid for the copy then no money is changing hands therefore no copyright theft takes place,
why do you think they have not made it illegal to buy copied media??
Photocopying more than a certain % of a book is theft of copyrighted materials (even if the book is in a public library)

Personally I think pirate dvd's are a waste of time & money. As I said on a previous thread my mother-in-law used to bring dvd's from Indonesia when she came to visit us. This country has such a giant problem with pirate dvd's that nearly every dvd you buy in their RETAIL OUTLETS are PIRATE! I would tell her not to bother bringing them and she would insist they are the real thing as the shop keeper hat told her this (and the cover would normally say stuff like DTS, and Special Edition, Special Features, etc.) But when I show her the movie they would all be rubbish. Things to expect with a pirate copy:

1) Bad picture quality :mad: : Grainy, blurry, lacking in colour, contrast, and brightness. Sometimes with the odd person walking about (to get popcorn, go the the toilet, etc.)

2) God awful sound :mad: : Buzzing, hiss, rustle of crisp packets, popcorn, etc. DTS? (Dire terrible sound, more like!)

3) Missing ending :mad: : This is probably the most annoying thing (and was the one that finally convinced me to stop bothering with pirate copies). To get all the way through a film and find the ending cut or more annoyingly the dvd just freezes up towards the end with a pixelated mess (this is very common) really pi**es me off and ruins my evening's viewing. One crazy example got all the way to the end of the cartoon Pinnochio to find that all important song, 'When you wish upon a star' cut after the first bit of the opening verse only to jump straight back to the dvd menu:mad: :mad:

4) No special features :mad: : None whatsoever ! No trailer, no documentaries, no commentaries, most of the time no subtitles either. Despite what it says on the cover.

Now tell me why someone would want to pay up to £5 for that tat.

As a side note, every dvd that my mother-in-law bought I ended up buying the original afterwards.

As for the original comment at the beginning of this thread about releasing the dvd at the same time as the film. I can't really see the film companies doing this due to the time involved in preparing the dvd content.

This would mean more releases of the same film: first the joint cinema/dvd release with no special features, then the 1 disc release with the trailer, commentaries, and a few music videos, then the 2 disc SE with documentaries, deleted scenes, etc., then the directors cut with an extra 10 mins of 'character development' added, and finally 10 years later the 10th anniversary 'all singing and dancing' 4 disc set with interviews from the whole cast including the 'key grip' and 'best boy' (what does he do ?).

Not to mention the other editions: the japanese LE with teak hand crafted bedside cabinet box, individually numbered from a limited run of 370,000. or the Woolies box set with 'free' cuddly toy. Or the £10 more expensive version that has a 'free' reproduction comic with it (Constantine, Spiderman 2, Blade 3 anyone). Or the Criterion 'cult-fans-will-pay-anything' Collection (come on, £25 just to watch the only worthwile dvd of Brazil, I ask you :rolleyes: )

why dont they just create a easy to follow timescale for the films release e.g.

month 1 , cinema release (worldwide please)
month 2 , rental (again worldwide)
month 3 , retail (worldwide)

dvdmike007 said:
any proof ? even fact cant prove that one if your against then fine but if you must state a "fact" please check your sources.

why do you think they have not made it illegal to buy copied media???

an anamorphic copy will do me till the dvd comes out that i will buy on day of release

05516f3b.bmp

so you are actually telling me and showing people that committing an illegal act is ok?

Again, I must stress that even if there is no proof of where the funds end up .
It is against the law!

There is no reason or excuse to have anything to do with pirate material.
It does not matter that you will be buying the proper dvd when it comes out. you are still breaking the law. Now weather you care if you are breaking it or not is a different matter and one for you conscience to decide.

Where is pooch when you need him :D

This may be stating the bl**ding obvious...

...but if the industry is so concerned about piracy - why are the Police, Trading Standards and any other interested party not swarming all over the Car Boot sales, local markets etc...

Whenever I go to one of these markets, people are openly selling them, all neatly laid out. I know that there are probably hundred's of markets and car boots every weekend, but surely a concerted effort to nick, and I mean charge and arrest, the people involved, would make a swift impact in the problem.

I just know that this Bank Holiday Monday, my local market will have stall after stall of pirated DVD's and CD's tucked next to the knock off mobile phones and chavvy tat.

i dont think that the are enough police, trading standards etc to do anything about it.

Gary

they had a about 100 officers at the car boot by me the other week arrested lots of people , impounded vans , etc.
also if the guy who runs the boot does not clamp down they will stop him from doing them.

Sly said:
they had a about 100 officers at the car boot by me the other week arrested lots of people , impounded vans , etc.
also if the guy who runs the boot does not clamp down they will stop him from doing them.

Yeah, but its hit and run stuff from trading standards isn't it. there not omni-present or anything. if there are 100 officers there then there aren't 100 officers elsewhere.

in short - i'm saying that if the profits are high, then they will perceive the risk as worth taking.

Gary

Legion said:
Whilst it is obvious that we the consumer are ripped off big style when purchasing dvd/cd's through legitimate sources, I would rather choose that, than help fund terrorists and drug cartels.....
I suppose the situation might be a bit different in Britain than in Germany (where I live), but I hear the same complaints here as well and find them unwarranted. Sure, new releases of popular films are often fairly expensive, but there are so many bargains out there for great movies -- some just a year or so after the initial DVD release. So patience is well rewarded. I find 10 EUR a reasonable price to pay for a film I like, and there's no lack of offerings at that price or lower.

The same goes for music. There are enough bargains out there to keep me happy (3-CD sets for 15 EUR -- not bad!).

Garyd said:
Yeah, but its hit and run stuff from trading standards isn't it. there not omni-present or anything. if there are 100 officers there then there aren't 100 officers elsewhere.

in short - i'm saying that if the profits are high, then they will perceive the risk as worth taking.

Gary

i have to say this is the only recent raid i have heard of and these stalls have been there every week making 1000's.........

i dont BUY pirate copies myself, i do have a few given to me but they have to be top quality.

but the way i look at it, the people that do buy them don't go to the cinema anyway, so they are not loosing money that way.

where they are loosing money is in the 'home' arena. so better protecting the source of the films (security at the studios) and copyright protection on disc needs to be better.

if a copy of sith is presented to me then yes i will take it, it will do till the retail versions come along and then i'll buy it, i did it with the first 2 and the original trilogy. i then bin the copy's.

I'm against Pirates myself. Too much parrot **** down your back for my liking although I do look good in an eye patch.

Back on cinemas, i hate the places i havent been since i was young and went to see the lion king. I have a half decent setup now and wouldnt bother with cinemas at all even for a film i was longing to see.

Better protection of discs? Any protection will be cracked in no time at all.....I thought people had worked this out by now.

IMO, they need to drop prices to a point where:

a) Its not worth buying a pirate, and

b) More people will 'impulse' buy becuase of the cheaper price.

The prices for the Region 3 releases seem about right IMO, as for cinemas - well they will always have their regular goers and I doubt that will change much at all.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom