Revenge Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Phil Hinton, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,503
      • Thanks Thanks x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      My copy arrived from Amazon in time to watch on Saturday night. This film will certainly have it's critics for a few justified reasons, but I loved it!

The story-line is topical and it does carry off a very similar vibe to "I Spit On Your Grave", but the look and feel of this really is maxed up to 11.

Yes, some scenes are absurd and it's difficult to comprehend that some shots are directed by a feminist director, but it really is compelling stuff.

Some nice aural touches add to the tension and the colour palette is vibrant without being excessive.

What will prevent me from keeping "Revenge" on my "go to" shelf are the ridiculous situations that the protagonist finds herself in, and gets herself out of. There's also a daft nod to Kubrick's Clockwork Orange late on that is almost embarrassing.

Still, it's a fun gory throwaway bit of fun - ideal for a Saturday night actually!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,230
      Thanks Cas, This sounds like some good cannon fodder for a Saturday night!

Will keep an eye out for it on my streaming services :thumbsup:

4. Ripley18711

Ripley18711
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,063
      Loved this. Totally implausible, but a fair amount of the red stuff on show.
      PQ looked amazing on my Oled and AQ was great too.

5. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,587
      Thanks for the review Cas, i'm really tempted by this film

6. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +967
      Thanks for the review, Cas, though I found it overly generous.
      It clearly has other films in mind but goes OTT all too often and disappears from some muti homage to a joke. There's so many scenes that go beyond odd to nonsensical with lingering shots that look more like the DoP had a seizure and the directer an arse fetish. But then, due to its well chosen locale, there's also some beautiful desert scenery on offer.
      The music is yet another example of 70s/80s electronica that seemed fresh then but tired now.
      Overall it reminded me of the glut of cheaply made 80's thriller/horrors that never really worked. Sure, it's OK as part of an alcohol enhanced night with a streamed package or cheap rental but that's it.
      Oh and there should be an add for giving blood with this because, apparently, humans have lots and lots to spare without fear.

7. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,778
      I found the film insulting to be honest; not just its implausibility but the rather unpleasant sexual politics it wants to revel in. However I'm going to give it another go.

I'm going to attempt another (possibly more plausible) interpretation of events: that
      the girl died after being impaled on the tree. In her final moments she ingests the hallucinogen and fantasises her entire revenge spree before expiring. There is no way she even survives, much less transforms from Lolita to Lara Croft in an hour.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +967
      Never underestimate the spiritual and healing power of beer - to oft quote the Philosopher Homer.

9. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,489
      Thanks for the review Cas,i must admit i rather enjoyed it :)

10. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,778
      Just watched it again. Enjoyed it more this time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    11. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,821
      I thought this was utter drivel. Unlike Lucas, I have neither the time or the inclination to give it another ago.

12. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,778
      I fancied it again (then again I did fork out for the blu-ray so decided to try and get my money's worth). And once you accept it as pure symbolism with no connection to anything approaching real life, it can be enjoyed as a bit of violent fun. Better shot than I remember too.

But I agree with Barnaby as well. It's a hyper-dumb fanatical feminist fantasy aimed at men in general. The male characters aren't even human; they are exaggerated caricatures derived from feminist theory: Mr White Male Privilege, Mr Rape Culture, and Mr Male Gaze. The kind of monsters they need us to be in order to justify their ideology; there to be taken down by the re-born dragonslayer for the entertainment of the kind of women who read Buzzfeed.

Enjoyable for the gore and for the protagonist, but total bollocks and insulting to real life people. Pretty on the outside but ugly on the inside.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    13. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      Yeah, the lingering shots were VERY poorly executed homages to Kubrick (imho) and the arse fetish was surprising for a supposedly feminist director with a tenable agenda.

Herein lies the clever bit. As a red-blooded male, the knicker-shots were very welcome. Very welcome, indeed.

BUT, with that in mind, doesn't that put me on the same ladder (albeit the bottom rung) as the misogynists in the film? Should I be questioning my own agenda, opinion and attitude towards women?

The director has made a film that, on the face of it, has a broad appeal to "lads". In it's execution, those same "lads" (if they have a conscience) should end up questioning their own selves.

Deeper than I'd originally expected, just a shame that so many elements were poorly thought out and delivered.

14. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,778
      Yes, that was entirely the point. She wants us to be thinking "she's a bit of a cock tease isn't she. Maybe its her fault what happens to her". This is what I found so reprehensible about the movie.

She's essentially saying we need to reconsider our attraction to sexy women, as deep down we're all rapists in waiting.

And its not clever, certainly not deep. Its pure agenda.

Hateful, hateful film. Please don't allow yourself to be taken in by it.

15. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      I accept your point but there's a lot of grey area betwixt considering the attitude of man(kind) towards women ... and being considered a rapist.

It's all down to interpretation. I may be wrong, but I suggest your opinion on Jen's character may be based on the poolside dancing scene? I interpreted that as teasing her boyfriend, not his friend. At this point, SHE was in control.

Thankfully, the majority of folk will NOT think that she deserved what happened. But, for the minority that DID, they'll see that karma can slap you in the face - big time.

For 100+ years, women have been treated terribly in films, as they have in real life. This movie won't make a lot of difference to that, but it is representative of the justifiable movements & campaigns we see today (#metoo etc.) in the wake of Weinstein and his ilk.

16. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,778
      It isn't my opinion of Jen's character. Its the opinion we are set up to have. Its a trap for male audiences to fall into, so the director can say "see, you think she's asking for it".

Her goal wasn't to show a woman being empowered. It was to show men being destroyed. It was a deconstruction of everything the director thinks is 'wrong' with the male psyche. Gluttony, obsession with violence (contract sports/ hunting), self-gratification, complete lack of empathy or compassion, and untamed, uncontrollable lust. A mate of mine pointed out that one guy is shown drowning a spider in urine- literally killing with his penis. Absurd exaggerations of maleness that aren't remotely representative of normal blokes (ie the audience). And it seems to have worked: you yourself just questioned your 'red blooded' maleness, for simply having a healthy response to seeing seductive young girl with a great body. That response does not make you an animal, nor does it impair your ability to see hot women as human beings.

There are genuine examples of this type of misogyny happening in the world, but they occur in other cultures that the director was clearly to PC to consider. White western men are simply an easy target.

They wont, because the scenario is too laughably far fetched to work as a cautionary tale.

If you want to see a genuinely satisfying film showing an empowered woman getting revenge on a rapist, I'd suggest another look at The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (either version). Decent, well deserved revenge executed by an intelligent, cunning woman without recourse to hating all men (or developing superhuman survival abilities ;)).

17. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      We could easily go off on a massive tangent, here. So, let's just agree to disagree.

Secondly, thanks for the recommendation, I'll seek it out again this weekend,

18. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,778
      No worries. Incidentally the actual
      rape
      in that is horrifying so I recommend with caution. Although Irreversible takes the biscuit for sheer savagery. Neither is an easy watch, although the revenge aspect in TGWTDT is wonderfully cathartic.

Back to Revenge, I'm a bit all over the place with it to be honest. I find its message offensive, and its just preposterously implausible. However it is well made, well acted by Lutz, and the violence is enjoyable. That's as far as I can go with it though.

19. INXS

INXS

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      not forgetting her wonderful arse, of course.

20. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17,778
      Misogynist! :nono:

But yeah...;)

21. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +967
      Let's face it, this film is never going to be taken seriously as a warning by any man with violence toward women in mind. The warning would more likely be seen as that the men ultimately folded/lost to a woman. In short, they failed to control and maintain dominance.
      Given the continued decades long poor rate for rape/molestation convictions against males, they are not necessarily going to even fear conviction that greatly. And the current climate of some seeing the, particularly, white male as a victim for lying woman (as has been seen in the US and here with false female allegations making the press lately), conviction rates and occurrences aren't expected to change to females favour.
      A well written and played out film that had a court trial at the end, with the male/s being convicted would surely be a better deterrent - somewhat like The Accused.
      @lucasisking @INXS re revenge films, lest we forget the male victim side of the coin and remember the cinema release of Pulp Fiction, where there's the brutal rape scene of Ving Rhames and his 'getting medieval' revenge.

22. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,491
      Finally got round to seeing this.. utter sh*te, nicely shot but otherwise sh*t.