Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Revamping old speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stereo Steve, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've often heard it said that speakers have a useful life of 10-15 years before they start to 'degrade'. I have been forced into thinking about this by the failure of the tweeters in my Ruark Epilogues and was wondering what it means.

I love my speakers and they cost a pretty penny. They look superb and I have yet to find a speaker that either my wife or I like better aesthetically. They also perform superbly. Realising that they are probably nearly 5 years old (although still mint) brought into focus the fact that I may have to replace them in another 5 years. But is this so?

The cabinets look as good as they did when new. So, what I'm really asking is what is going to go wrong? The drivers obviously but what else? Will the crossover degrade after time? Could I, in another 5 years simply replace the drivers (assuming I can still get the rights ones) and have as new speakers again fit for another 10 years? If so this has to be an option as the 2 tweeters look like setting me back about £20 each.

So, why should I buy another £2500 worth of speakers when I can probably replace all the drivers for a few hundred?

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Aside from the drive units, the crossover components such as inductors will degrade over time. It is generally a good idea to replace the internal cable not only to improve sound but very cheap cable will oxidise quicker.