Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

returning XS34, what to replace it with????

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cejsmith, Jun 24, 2005.

1. cejsmith

cejsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm returning my tosh XS34 to RGB direct becuase it has a few problems and it won't play some of my region 1 disks.

The question is what to replace it with?

I'm want the recording function to back up my sky+ when it gets to full.

The picture quality on the tosh is pretty good and a Ilink would be handy.

Any thoughts

Col

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I guess it depends on what those "few problems" are; to understand if other models also have these. Panasonic EH50 is an option, but no DV-in. EH60 coming soon will have it.

As for the won't play some region 1 discs, these are probably RCE discs. Not sure if any recorder will play all RCE discs.

Mark

3. cejsmith

cejsmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main problems where it didn't seem to want to record more than about 20 mins with cutting off.

As for playing discs, why can't they play all discs? Does the laser head have less movemnent range or something?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Ok, no recorder should cut off after 20 mins; so you got a faulty one.

All of the recorders you buy in the UK are region 2 only out of the box; for multi-region they have to be modified. This is nothing to do with the laser, this is a scheme the film studios came up with to stop us from buying cheaper discs from USA or China. RCE is a more restrictive way of protecting this region coding, so an RCE R1 disc won't play unless it thinks the player is a R1 player.

Many players can have the region coding changed by remote control codes, including changes to support RCE discs. But these "hacks" aren't available on any of the recorders from the major manufacturers.

Mark

5. DJBenz

DJBenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My RDXS-34 from RGB also won't play RCE protected titles. It was quite a shock, because the first disc I put in (Spiderman) came up with the world region map and "Buy a disc for your region" message so I thought it wasn't modified at all! Tried some other titles and they were OK though.

When I spoke to RGB about it, the girl on the phone said "I don't even know what RCE protection is", and when I explained, "Mm, yeah, they're a bit hit and miss to be honest" :confused:

I'm glad I've still got my old Tosh player to play RCE discs. :clap:

6. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't you ask a question about chapter creating because you had filled up your HHD with a recording? How did it do this if it's cutting off after 20 mins?

What did RGB or Toshiba tech support advise? If you've decided to send it back I would say that it would be worth waiting for the EH-60 for the DV in and the 160gb HD. One thing that a scan of this board should tell you is that none of the current batches of recorders, from any make, is immune from problems, glitches and QC issues so if you find a mainstream recorder whose features meet your needs, is well-reviewed on here and you're just unlucky to have one with a problem, then surely it's better for ask for a replacement rather then to bounce on to another machine. I'm not saying this particularly in respect of the XS34 but of any subsequent machine you chose.

As mentioned above the RCE issue seems to be dependent on who the retailer uses to do the modification rather than the manufacturer.

7. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +738
    My XS34 has been working beautifully since I got it 2 weeks ago. As people have mentioned, the inability to play RCE titles is not a manufacturer problem.

The other two machines I considered were the Pana EH50 and the Sony 510. All machines have great points, but in the end the Tosh ticked more boxes for me.