1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning Tosh 46" because ...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jhkanguk, Jan 19, 2005.

1. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If computer with DVI is turned on first, TV won't wake up from standby mode.

They are connected via DVI-HDMI cable.

I had to call Tosh for several days.
    According to them, their engineers tested same configuration and had same problem. So they believe it is NORMAL with this TV.

They said "You have turn TV first then turn DVI PC next"

I cannot think that this can be normal for any TV. So I am going to return it.

Be aware if you plan to use PC with DVI for this TV!!!!! You shouldn't buy this TV in such case.

Another factor is, this tosh can do upto 1024x768 using pc monitor cable whereas Samsung 46" can do 1280x720 using pc monitor cable.

With Tosh, I get full wide screen but stretched 1024x768.
    With Samsung, you get full wide screen at native 1280x720, no stretching.
    My colleague has Samsung so this is all facts.
    Please note that this is about PC RGB connection not HDMI.

Where can I buy Samsung btw? My colleague bought it from comet at 1950 inc delivery.

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I thought at least 2 people on here where running 1280*720 and 1280*768 on the PC connection though???

Be nice to clear this up!! Whiteswan??? Anybody???

Sorry to hear about the problem though... I gues HDMI on the Tosh is really only meant for HDMI sources..

There is a seperate thread on the Samsung 46", listing several sites..

3. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tosh manual clearly states 3 possible VGA resolutions. Some variation might be possible using powerstrip though.
    When I tried higher than 1024x768 @ 50/60Hz, the screen just went blank.

4. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Yep

1280 x 768 works wonderfully via my pc input on the Tosh. (using it now to type this)

No problems whatsoever.

My desktop is pixel perfect and viewing hd divx and normal avi and divx,xvids is absolutely gob smacking!

Doom 3 is stunning and etc etc etc............

There is too much "misinformation" with people slagging the Tosh.

It took me a while to get the pc working through the tv - but now it does its absolutely superb!

BTW I dont use power strip or anything like that.

Dave, Oldham.

5. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Whiteswan. Have you got whole of the PC desk top on your Tosh or is there overscan as 1280 x 768 is not 1 to 1 pixel mapping so there must be some scaling being done by the tosh which defeats the whole purpose of using the PC as a video scaler etc

There is quite an exhustive thread on the AVS forum where by the Americans have confirmed that 1 to 1 pixel mapping is not possible.

Cheers

Paulh

p.s some pictures of your tosh running doom etc would be nice as thats what I want my DLP for HL2 etc

6. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    As pointed out in another thread the US Tosh is a different beast to ours.

Indeed the Tosh in the US shipped with a leaflet saying NOT SUITABLE FOR USE WITH A PC - Whereas ours states resolutions and inputs available - this is where a lot of the mis information comes from.

I have no overscan (do you mean do I lose some of the desktop?) - I dont have the facilities to post a pic sorry - but if you are local - come and have a brew and i will show you.

What I can say is the pic via the pc input is breathtaking - I watch a LOT of hd tv stuff and it is awesome - LOST in particular.

But the Madagscar DIVX HD Demo is jaw dropping!

I am not a htpc boffin at all - so sorry if I havent answered your question fully - but i tried!

The TOSH looks as good if not better than my normal monitor - and its 46 bloody inches wide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heaven.

Dave

7. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Whiteswan,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm on the fence at the moment over the Tosh. The lack of 1 to 1 pixel mapping was a deal breaker for me, however if you say its not an issue then I believe you.

I live on the Isle of Man so a viewing at yours is a no go unfortunately, thanks for the offer anyhow and the advice!

Cheers

Paulh.

8. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im on the fence about it aswell, but my issues is how bad is it with a normal tv feed from telewest/sky. Can you live with it or should only people who want to hook up their pc/ hd dvd player really go fo this tv

9. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Now I have swapped my Amstrad Sky Plus for a Pace box the pic is superb on good channels ie Sky Movies Sports etc but crap on bad channels ie hallmark etc...............but no worse than my 36" Tosh crt this set replaced.

You DO get blurry bits on dark scenes every now and then - we all accept that - but it happens so infrequently that I don't really notice it now.

Think I was one of the first to get this tv - and I still LOVE IT!

Dave, Oldham.

BTW HI DEF XBOX IS REASON ALONE TO OWN IT!

10. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I too have had this telly since the early days hey dave lol but i have not got a pc that will handle the htpc side of things but i am on the look out i do not want a shuttle cuz of the noise so am serioulsy considering using one of them new mac mini's as i have just made the switch to mac and up to press love it BUT from what i have read people in the states are using DLP's as monitors on the power mac with out a problem and since i do not play games on computers as i have an xbox and a game cube and a ps2 :) i have no need but the main reason i want to htpc is for the torrent downloads and abit of internet for my daughter extra (dont want her to mess with my new g5 imac). So can you post what you did to get your pc to work with the tosh did you end up using the hdmi or stick with the vga cable.....

11. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Dave,

Probably a daft question but do all Xbox games benefit from the hidef pack or is it only hidef 'enabled' games?

I recently bought PES4 after not buying an Xnox game for a long while and I noticed it had a hidef 480p checkbox on the back, which unfortunately isn't checked.

Cheers,
    V.

12. say33d

say33d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    hi jhkanguk

was interested to note u saying that ur friend had the samsung 46 inch DLP. i was wondwering if u could give us a quick comparision of the sky and dvd picture quality of these sets? is on better than the other aor do they both produce a stunning pic providing the source is good?

its a real sticking point cos im defo buying one of these sets.... just dont know which 1 yet

cheers

13. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I use standard pc cable ie the vga port...........I set the resolution on the graphics card and hey preston a lovely 46" widescreen picture.

This way the hdmi port is free for dvd player - sky hi def etc.

Xbox games in hi def - surprisingly a LOT of games are hi def - especially newer ones.

You need a modded xbox - you have to switch your xbox into ntsc mode (very easy with enigmah video switcher) - get the hi def lead from Lik Sang (about£15.00) - and robert is a relation.

Think about it - new xbox - £89.99 - usually comes with a few games which you can ebay (get back say £20) - mod costs approx £40 - if you want to throw a bigger hard drive in there say 120 gig = £40.00. So total cost somewhere around £150.00 - but for this you get a superb games machine - with loads of Hi Def Games - Media Centre - play all xvid, divx, avi files direct to your tv (without having to buy a divx dvd player) - plays mp3's - view photos etc etc etc etc - it even plays hi def divx files!! Dont forget its a cracking dvd player as well - with the hi def pack connected the dvd playback quality is superb.

Do a Google and have a look - there's so much you can do with it!

Dave

14. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Cheers for that Dave.

Will do some digging around, but first thing is to get my XBOX modded I suppose.

Chris.

15. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to stick with Tosh (but to be replaced with same model for another problems) and live with the HDMI problem. It will be a pain but moving to Samsung 46" costs another 450 pounds at least. (tosh cost 1500, samsung is 1950 from comet)

whiteswan,
    I haven't tried 1280x768 pc mode but it sounds PROMISING! I will try it today.
    But with my pc, I get much better picture quality with HDMI. PC VGA connection looks noticeably faded. So I didn't bother with PC mode.
    Have you tried HDMI? How does it compare with PC VGA on your system?

16. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jkanguk - The VGA input gives the best results on the Tosh, its good enough for me! The HDMI native AGP Graphics card from ATI is not available yet to my knowledge in the UK and it would be cool to test this to see if it works or gives a blue screen.

It is possible that this will give far better results than the VGA input.

17. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite interested, but can't find the XBOX for 89.99 anywhere. also, do you have some info as to where I can get it modded?

Cheers,

Martijn

18. mort

mort
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    my local GAME shop had em in yesteday think new ones were 99 but they had used ones for £89 that had 2 controllers with it
    but if you shop around esopecially on net youll find it cheaper.
    alternatively you can buy em already done off ebay
    as for mod chips just do a google search its cheaper doing it yourself but if you want someone to do it for you id suggest look in your local paper for ppl advertising console upgrades or ask in any of your local gaming shops chances are some1 will know some1 who does it :thumbsup:
    btw it looks :censored: brilliant on the tosh :D

19. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1280x768 PC mode really worked for me!!! I am very glad that I don't have to play with HDMI cable everyday.

It is interesting that 1280x720 which is native resolution of the TV doesn't work but 1280x768 works perfect. Why doesn't the manual mention this resolution? Did they not have such powerful graphics card to test with?

20. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: tried to connect my laptop to the tosh this evening, on account of having read that 1280 seems to work - previously tried the tv out of my laptop, which only gave me 1024 resolution, and fuzzy looking at that. The PQ via the VGA cable is great, but I can only get 1024x768 resolution - higher then that and the screen simply goes black.

The laptop is a sony vaio 17" - it has an ATI RADEON that drives the laptop's flatpanel at 1920 resolutions, so it certainly has all the oomph it needs to drive the tosh. Any suggestions?

Martijn

21. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Are you trying to drive the laptop display and TV at the same time? It may not have enough graphics memory to cope with that.
    Try running it with the laptop display disabled, and just the external monitor (TV) switched on.

22. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    can anyone post pics please of it running some dvds etc via the vga conection and dvi.

23. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    went to comet(exeter)today to view tosh 46" the guy hooked up a laptop via vga connection selected pc from tv menu and boom there it was only in 1024 res granted as laptop didnt support higher but from 10 feet away looks as good as my 17" monitor so next question is how sweet will it look if connected via dvi at 1280 res???please let me know as i baught the 46" tosh today :))))

24. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi

I got my Tosh yesterday...

lovely picture...

but it seems that it can only take a 4:3 signal through the VGA port. The three resolutions listed in the manual are also 4:3.

Changing the resolution on the GFX card to 1280x768 simply keeps the right hand side of the picture static while the left side scrolls off into the black area.

I'm using an analogue cable (not dvi) from the card....

Of course I can widen the image, but when watching widescreen on the PC it still has massive borders.

Do I need a GFX card with DVI output?

Does the TV actually support 1280 x?

confused!

25. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    NO NO NO.........

We dont need any more dis-information about the Tosh.

It takes a 1280 x 768 signal thru vga just fine - I have been using it that way for months now........

There is obviously a problem with your graphics card set up - are you at 60hz?

Dave, Oldham.

26. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128

Hi Dave,

Cheers for the reply.

Yeah I'm in 60hz... 4:3 no matter what resolution.

My card can handle other resolutions (it was running 1280x1024 at 100hz) and can do 1280x768 at 60hz, but the screen is always cut off.

I'm guessing it's because the card is old (ahem-geforce 2).... I was gonna update the drivers tonight. If that fails i'll pop in the x800 from another pc and test that..... see if i need a new card...

Sorry, I dont mean to bring the same crap up again, it's just I read the disinformation in the tosh manual! Did the tv get an upgrade before they finished the manual?? any ideas why they state 4:3 resolutions only via PC??

I'd like to point out, even tho I have a few niggles the tv is fecking awesome and I wont be returning it!

27. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blacksheep i would bet is the ge-force 2 card, they are pretty old cards, second gen i think. A nice 9800pro would do the job and they can be had for quite cheap now

28. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Point to note: VGA is RGBHV i.e analogue. HDMI or DVI-D is a digital connection and should look better than the analogue. You don't need a native HDMI graphics card just DVI-D, same thing (no sound anyway). My ATI X800XTPE works both inputs.

29. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I popped in my x800 from another machine and once all the latest drivers were on 1280x768@60 worked, the only problem I had then was the main display being off screen, a little adjustment with the monitor positioning and hey presto.. full widescreen.

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    You can get 720 x 1280 on radeon cards. I have a x800xt pe and a optoma rd65. I use the DVI out connection and have it set at the 720 x 1280 resolution. There is a setting for widescreen display on these cards. Also uncheck the box that says hide all resolutions your monitor can't display
    If your having problems with that you can try a program called powerstrip, its free and you can set any resolution you need.

I hope that helps. :)