Returning to photography brand advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death Squad I

Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't messed around with 'proper' cameras since my days at college doing media studies over 10 years ago. We did lots of 35mm photography and our own developing in the darkroom. I still have a good understanding of composition and the exposure triangle etc. Moved on to digital point and shoots because of convenience and price also I used to get frustrated at developing a whole film to get 2 or 3 good shots.
I am financially in a position to buy a dslr so I can get back in to being creative with shots with the convenience of digital media.
Years ago I had a pentax slr and a few old lenses which I inherrited. Although it did its job fine I did used to resent the pentax a bit and quietly be slightly jeolous of peoples Nikons/Canons.
When researching my first DSLR purchase the same 2 makes look like they still lead the market along with sony thrown in the mix now. I do get the impression on reading the forums that there is still a bit of snobbery around brands especially Sony. Even when visiting Jessops the sales assistant despite having a A55 as a backup couldn't help but dismiss sony's future support to the dslr market. As I am as guilty of the brand snobbery as anyone else I was wondering if pentax is still seen as inferior make/brand.
There seems to be really good deals on pentax entry level dslr's around but I don't really want to resent my purchase a few months down the line, for the sake of a few quid. I am also tempted by the Nikon d5000 deal at the moment. At the same time I don't want to get an inferior product just because it has a great brand plastered over it. I keep reading about different brands of cameras having identical sensors etc
My main question is would I be cutting my nose off to spite my face (financially) by choosing canon/nikon over pentax/sony?

I'd say to completely ignore the brand "issue" at the momenet - go down to the camera shops and handle models from all the main brands nikon/canon/pentax/sony/panasonic and see what "feels" right for you - at the end of the day any of the beginner/intermediate cameras in the current ranges from any of the main manufacturers will be capable of producing perfectly adequate images.

It's much more important to get a camera that feels comfortable to use and has easy to use reach controls/buttons etc. - a comfortable camera will get used more than one that's a pain after 10 minutes.

Jim

I haven't messed around with 'proper' cameras since my days at college doing media studies over 10 years ago. We did lots of 35mm photography and our own developing in the darkroom. I still have a good understanding of composition and the exposure triangle etc. Moved on to digital point and shoots because of convenience and price also I used to get frustrated at developing a whole film to get 2 or 3 good shots.
I am financially in a position to buy a dslr so I can get back in to being creative with shots with the convenience of digital media.
Years ago I had a pentax slr and a few old lenses which I inherrited. Although it did its job fine I did used to resent the pentax a bit and quietly be slightly jeolous of peoples Nikons/Canons.
When researching my first DSLR purchase the same 2 makes look like they still lead the market along with sony thrown in the mix now. I do get the impression on reading the forums that there is still a bit of snobbery around brands especially Sony. Even when visiting Jessops the sales assistant despite having a A55 as a backup couldn't help but dismiss sony's future support to the dslr market. As I am as guilty of the brand snobbery as anyone else I was wondering if pentax is still seen as inferior make/brand.
There seems to be really good deals on pentax entry level dslr's around but I don't really want to resent my purchase a few months down the line, for the sake of a few quid. I am also tempted by the Nikon d5000 deal at the moment. At the same time I don't want to get an inferior product just because it has a great brand plastered over it. I keep reading about different brands of cameras having identical sensors etc
My main question is would I be cutting my nose off to spite my face (financially) by choosing canon/nikon over pentax/sony?

Did you like any of those that you handled at Jessops?

All the cameras i looked at were locked away in glass cabinets. I felt a bit rude asking for the assistant to get them out, which is silly considering the amount of money I am potentially going to spend. Next time I will be a bit more pushy and ask for them to let me handle a few.
I know they are all more a less the same specs but does this camera envy/snobbery exist in the real world ie not on forums.
There are a few cameras which seem to have really simalar specs and are really good on paper apart from the megapixels notably canons seem much higher at entry level. Without sounding too much like a noob....how important are the amount of megapixels in this day and age? Seems silly that I am asking this because I bought my first minolta digital point and shoot camera about 8 years ago which was about 3mp and at the time this seemed amazing quality so with all the dslr's being over 10 I suppose this isn't an important factor when choosing a camera...right???

As I am as guilty of the brand snobbery as anyone else I was wondering if pentax is still seen as inferior make/brand.

Pentax have only been seen as a inferior make by people that have no knowledge of the brand and are blinkered by the fact all their friends use Canon and Nikon. The same can also be said (to a lesser amount) about Sony. Pentax's problem is that they make brilliant cameras but for some reason seem reluctant to actually tell anyone about them :rolleyes:

These days all the brands are pretty much equal unless you are looking to use long fast lenses that cost thousands of pounds in which case Pentax are not much good as they have concentrated on small compact pancake primes which are superb quality.

If you are indeed guilty of brand snobbery though then stick to Nikon or Canon because it wouldn't matter that Pentax are getting rave reviews (See K-x/K-r/K-5) you would still bow to peer pressure in the end and it would cost you to change brands.

To be fair I think thats why I am posting this on here, I know all them years ago there was nothing actually wrong with my pentax. I think unless I am going to spend mega money on a new setup I would feel slightly dissapointed and letdown in the brand upgrade/side step whech ever way you look at it. Can we all agree then at entry level picture and image quality wise there isn't much difference between the brands???

To be fair I think thats why I am posting this on here, I know all them years ago there was nothing actually wrong with my pentax. I think unless I am going to spend mega money on a new setup I would feel slightly dissapointed and letdown in the brand upgrade/side step whech ever way you look at it. Can we all agree then at entry level picture and image quality wise there isn't much difference between the brands???

Well I already said that and Mike obviously agrees but whether we can "all" agree is an entirely different matter.... ;)

JIm

Your best bet is to try a few within your price range,have a read of some review,and dont worry to much about the brand :)

My first SLR was a Pentax - bought it because I knew nothing and the price was low.
My first dSLR was a Nikon D70 - bought it because to me it was the best handling dSLR out at the time.
My second dSLR is a Nikon D7000 - bought it (today) because a) already got Nikon Glass and not all with inbuild motor b) don't like the handling of the models below the D90 c) the competition does not have anything to tempt me away.

If you are starting out afresh it would be all about the handling to me, as such trying them out is absolutely essential. Jessops were surprisingly competitve I thought, especiall when buying online and using quidco but collect in store. Even though I already bought it, they were happy for me to try out alternatives before I walked out. Don't feel 'bad' about it, that is what they are there for :)

Personally I would put handling over anything else, like budget, brand etc. You would want to pick it up and feel comfortable with the controls. Whilst Nikon (D90 upwards) suits me brilliantly others might not like it.

Interesting piece in this weeks AP comparing the Nikon D7000, Sony Alpha 55 and Pentax K-5 (which all use the same sensor).

What features are you interested in ?

You have mentioned the obvious two Nikon & Canon....so this might be worth a read ?

There will always be a Canon vs. Nikon debate and there's some good points made in the above article's comments section about both brands, but the general consensus is that Nikon uses a better AF system, their cameras perform better under low light conditions, and they're more user friendly. (The main reasons I went for Nikon ).

The only downside is that Nikon glass tends to be pricier than Canon. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What was the conclusion?

It is interesting because in my mind sharing parts like that doesn't mean much. To me it is like not getting a mercedes m class because a ssyanyoung Rexton uses the same engine. But I didn't do the comparison aforementioned though.

I did seriously consider the a55 as it is very competitive but found it too small for handling as it was, bet the body gets dwarfed with some glass like the very reasonable tamron 17-50 f2.8. And to me the price difference would be eaten up by getting new flash, lenses etc.

Yes.

You really need to go and hold them. I went to Jessops Trafford Centre last weekend and was amazed that they had moved all of their camera bodies outside of the glass now, so they are learning! You can just pick them up and handle them.

Currys in the Trafford Centre have done that for a good couple of years, so it's nice that the penny has finally dropped in Jessops...

Is there a Trafford Centre like place near you?

I'm actually not that far from the trafford centre. I usually hate these places and it takes alot of nagging from the wife to get me there, however I dont think it'll take much convincing now I know there will be something there for me to do.

What was the conclusion?

It is interesting because in my mind sharing parts like that doesn't mean much. To me it is like not getting a mercedes m class because a ssyanyoung Rexton uses the same engine. But I didn't do the comparison aforementioned though.

I did seriously consider the a55 as it is very competitive but found it too small for handling as it was, bet the body gets dwarfed with some glass like the very reasonable tamron 17-50 f2.8. And to me the price difference would be eaten up by getting new flash, lenses etc.

The verdict of the AP Sony A55 / Pentax K-5 / Nikon D7000 image test was basically:

All performance of the three sensors is "extremely close".

The A55 translucent mirror and 12bit was a disadvantage during testing (why didn't they do the A580??). But in print the "differences were irrelevant".

For image quality "any of these three cameras is deserving of attention".

"Small and creative" the A55.

"Meatier in size" the D7000 (and the A580!).

"Overall performance" the K-5.

They then go on to say that the choice of lens and RAW conversion software has a "marked effect".

I'm actually not that far from the trafford centre. I usually hate these places and it takes alot of nagging from the wife to get me there, however I dont think it'll take much convincing now I know there will be something there for me to do.

Don't expect the sales staff to be, erm, knowledgeable.... :D Just use them to handle the camera bodies.

Mike.P®;14550582 said:
Pentax have only been seen as a inferior make by people that have no knowledge of the brand and are blinkered by the fact all their friends use Canon and Nikon. The same can also be said (to a lesser amount) about Sony. Pentax's problem is that they make brilliant cameras but for some reason seem reluctant to actually tell anyone about them :rolleyes:
Im not sure it fair to blame Canikon Owners for Pentax's poor marketing though..
These days all the brands are pretty much equal unless you are looking to use long fast lenses that cost thousands of pounds in which case Pentax are not much good as they have concentrated on small compact pancake primes which are superb quality.
I agree it is hard to find a poorly perfoming one and indeed in some the Pentax Sony , ect with in built IS and other VFM features may have an edge depending on lens avilability but even Canikon ownere dnt aleways amass more than a few. the Upgrade path and choice of Bodies is abit of a Canikon !advantage but it doesnt really make a difference to many folk

If you are indeed guilty of brand snobbery though then stick to Nikon or Canon because it wouldn't matter that Pentax are getting rave reviews (See K-x/K-r/K-5) you would still bow to peer pressure in the end and it would cost you to change brands.
Hmm.. Buy whatever based on handling and after a little research . all the brand have happy owners and people do switch brands for whatever reason but it many owners of Canikon own then and dont have any brand snobbery, merely preference

I'm going to make it simple for you and say buy a Nikon.

had a good root at my mum and dads not very happy because I couldn't find my old 35mm pentax, however I have found some old praktika lenses which must of been my grandads when he had one of his phases. Aparently he took up photography for all of 2 weeks LOL Could these be used they just click in but dont screw.
I would like to have a look at the pentax k7, kx and kr do jessops usually have these in stock??? I know they have them online

had a good root at my mum and dads not very happy because I couldn't find my old 35mm pentax, however I have found some old praktika lenses which must of been my grandads when he had one of his phases. Aparently he took up photography for all of 2 weeks LOL Could these be used they just click in but dont screw.
I would like to have a look at the pentax k7, kx and kr do jessops usually have these in stock??? I know they have them online

Give them a bell. Here is the number off the TC website.

0161 747 0239

Do a buy and collect in store so you can check stock :)

It is worth doing a true but and collect though, for that I got a better price for my D7000, and they gave me another tripod and head plus an activity camera.

To be honest I wouldn't have bought any of that but as instore price is higher and you don't get anything extra it is worth it. Then also don't forget quidco :)

Im not sure it fair to blame Canikon Owners for Pentax's poor marketing though..

Eh? .. Where did I blame Canon users for anything at all?

I think it was fairly clear I was blaming Pentax for their bad marketing .. no one else. :rolleyes:

went to the local retail parks currys and comet and was able to have a hold and feel of all the brands except pentax. Must say that I am really dissapointed in the construction and material quality that the modern digital slr's are made from. All the brands sony, nikon and cannon felt really plasticky and like they were no where near as robust as the old film slr's. I find this really strange because all the modern sensitive electrical parts in a new age camera should be better protected. May save some more pennies or sell some stuff to see if I can get something of better construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom