1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning Sony de697..getting something better, do I need one thats HD compatible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by guyzee25, Jun 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. guyzee25

guyzee25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Panasonic TH42PWD7U/Y set and just recently bought the Sony de-697...uuugggghhhh!!!! I love the Panny, great PQ even though not a true HD. This TV rocks. My problem is this. Due to the very limited inputs on the Panny, I must run my cable tuner through a receiver, I picked up the Sony de 697 and was immediately disappointed with the confusing setup and general sound quality. But one thing it had going for it, and this was probably just a marketing ploy, was that it was billed as "HD compatible". Meaning that running HD through it would not degrade the signal. Do most receivers do this? Must I find another receiver advertised with this "HD compatible" tag or is this just total BS?
    I'm lookin for help and I think you guys are an infinitely better source of info than the local highschoolers working at BestBuy. I'm looking for a receiver for $500 bucks or less, plenty of in/outputs, plenty of "oompf" and solid surround sound. The HD part, I don't know about...any reccomendations would be most appreciated.

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Most AV receivers are HD compatible. They are simply a pass through facility, however they are restricted in the amount of bandwidth they can handle. Most are more than capable of handling HD signal.

You mention BestBuys, so I have assumed your Head of State is George W Bush. Most of the forum members here have Tony Blair as their Prime Minister. I myself have little Johnny Howard, so actually giving you a particular model maybe a little difficult in your price range.

What speakers are you using and in what configuration, and the intended use (ie %movie, %music, %games), will help narrow down the possible list. But I would think that your most likely candidates will come from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & Pioneer.

3. guyzee25

guyzee25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Aussie Friend,
    I currently have Sony 5.1 from an older HTIB but will be upgrading those in a week or two. I am probably of the 90% DVD/TV, 5% music, 5% gaming persuasion. But the main emphasis I want is on solid 5.1 surround sound with on screen menus, and at the very least 2 component inputs which I don't think is a problem with most newer quality receivers. I don't need a ton of features but quality at high and low volume and decent in-outputs. Thanks for any input kind sir.

p.s. Thanks for exporting Nicole Kidman

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If that is the case, IMHO a Denon would serve you well. Hopefully the 2105 would be within your price range. But given your requirement, you would benefit from buying someone else’s pre-loved unit (Denon 2803 or Denon 3802 etc).

You want get the full benefit until new speakers are purchased.

Cannot take the credit for Nicole. She was actually born in England. We just helped finishing the product. Next time you see her, please tell her that she is looking a little thin.

5. guyzee25

guyzee25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon has looked good on every forum I've checked out too. I appreciate all the input, Im gonna check those models now AND see if Nicole will answer my calls.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The other aspect of 'HD' is that there will shortly be HD audio protocols when Blu-Ray & DVD-HD comes out - DTS-Lossless etc.

There are many AVRs which will pass component signals and can handle the bandwidth required for HD. There are some but fewer which can also pass DVI/HDMI HD video - you didnt mention what interconnect type you use. I havent yet seen any which claim support of the new HD audio formats

7. guyzee25

guyzee25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My plasma only has component, s-video, a/v, PC and Serial inputs....no DVI/HDMI. Therefor, I suppose I wouldn't need a AVR that would pass that.
    By the way Astaroth, how do you like your DENON 2805? It was one of the ones on my list, but just a little out of the price range I set for myself.

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the sony is awful isnt it? i had it for about a day then returned it.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I use my Denon purely for AV (as I have a seperate stereo setup in another room) and I think it is extremely good - I did briefly listen to some stereo music through it whilst it wasnt great it wasnt too bad either but it isnt a priority for me.

I also tested the 3805 when I was buying and whilst the 3805 was noticeably better I decided to cut back on the spending a little due to new formats coming out in the next 12-18 months