Returning plasma because of retention/burn?

Anarchist

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ello,

Just after a bit of advice really, I purchased a Hyundai HPT-4281h plasma from currys back in February (I know, I know...) that has had issues with retention. Just having static images on the screen for about 30 seconds causes a small amount of retention, and after 5minutes leaves bloody big imprints.

This hasn't been too much of an issue, until recently when I've been connecting my laptop up to the plasma (via the VGA port designed to connect laptops/PCs to!) for various reasons, and for the xbox 360 I've just got. After only about 30 minutes on Ridge Racer I've now got very faint lap times burnt onto the panel. Luckily they were decent lap times so I'm not too embarrased. This burn is very faint and can only really be seen now when looking for it.

So now I cannot connect it at all to the xbox/laptop through fear of burn in. I contacted currys/mastercare who've come out to see it, seen the problem with retention and have ordered a replacement something-or-other and told me that I should not have anything connected that gives a static picture at all. But, I think I should be asking for a change of model to something a bit more expensive.

This is my second plasma (the first was a sony that handled anything I threw at it with no retention/burn for years!) so I'm quite sure its not me being over-expectant.

Would I be right to ask if I could swap it for an alternative model? Thoughts? Please don't blame me for skimping on a cheaper model in the first place :D

Well, expecting you not to view anything with a static image is nonsense, what about all the chanel's with logos?

I would try and get a replacement (different brand).

yeah exactly :(

the engineer was testing it for retention/burn by changing the channel on telewest and looking for retention on the tv guide box lol.

and yes, it did show retention after just 15 or so seconds (!!!)

I know, but this is separate to the screen burn issue.

As I said, I know how these things are supposed to perform as I have previously owned a sony pdp, but this thing has burnt into the screen after about 35-45 minutes which I'm certain is not acceptable. Currys have fobbed it off onto Mastercare, Mastercare have fobbed it off onto the manufacturers saying its their fault for not mentioning the length of time it can be on a static image for safely in the product specifications, I don't fancy my chances of even getting to speak to fujitsu siemens nevermind somebody who cares.

Surely if they make no mention of it in the manual Curry's and M/card are equally liable? Its a ridiculous disclaimer anyway with all the logos these days.

Sorry, brain malfunction, i meant hyundai.

the only reference I can see is, "Lengthy displayed stilll images may fatally damage the screen" - which then refers to a setting (that does not exist) which is supposed to stop this from happening.

Currys have advised the only thing I can do is write in to them at sheffield detailing all of the issues as they cannot authorise swapping it for an alternative model without mastercares authorisation. They cannot even find a telephone number/address for Hyundai for me to contact them.

Looks like I'll have to get my pen out, and my angry eyes!

Success! Currys have called to arrange collection of the set and an exchange note. Although I'm not so sure I want one from Currys now (they had a fantastic offer on the Samsung 40" LCD last week at £1120, but its shot up to £1499 now!). I may push for a refund as opposed to the exchange note, I'm sure that I would be legally entitled to it?

Anyway, smiles all around. To be fair the set was absolutely horrendous, I was gettting really bad retention after about two - three minutes (really bad, stayed on screen for about 15 minutes afterwards) and mild screen burn after about 10 minutes. That and it occasionally 'locked up', only able to be solved by unplugging it.

Now alls I need to do is pick a replacement :I

You'll never get a refund imho, I'd take the credit note offered & see what TV offers come up. Don't rush into buying something you're not sure about though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom