1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning Pioneer 434, purchasing Pana PW6?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jwramsay, Oct 18, 2004.

1. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have now had 3 Pioneer 434-HDE Plasmas. Two have had severe buzzing problems and 1 was a second hand unit with 125 hours on the clock and covered in scratches. I was promised a new 435-XDE but it turns out that the vendor only supplies 435-FDE models.

I now see that the PW6 is available for just about 1/2 the price of the Pioneer 434 cost me. I have the option of cutting my losses and getting a full refund on the Pioneer.

I purchased the Pioneer because of looks, HDMI and HDTV compatability. I have lost confidence with Pioneer now, so it's probably time to give Panasonic a go! Although its lacking in features, due to the massive price difference, I think I will give it a spin.

What connections does the PW6 have? I currently use the S-Video, Component and RGB Scart inputs on the Pioneer for AV-AMP, X-Box and Telewest Digital. What PLUG-in board(s) do I need to buy?

I have my XBOX NTSC'd using enigmah and run games at 480P/720P/1080I, so Panasonic Vierra seems out.

Do Panasonic Panels buzz? By buzz, I mean an electrical buzzing noise that varies with the picture and is audible over normal listening levels from your seated position. I don't mind hearing a noise if you stick your head behind the screen to specifically listen for buzzing.

2. dougal400

dougal400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a PWD6 for around 3 weeks now, very, very impressed, opperation is silent, I cannot hear a thing even with no sound, still haven't seen it at it's best yet as am still running it in. Very impressed with the care that was taken with delivery, especially with comms.

Very happy man.

Standard my screen came with just a VGA connection that can accept RGB Comp input. there are three card slots for whatever connections you need. I run everything through the DVD writer, which has RGB comp out, and choose inputs via that, seems to work very well indeed.

3. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my PWD6 for just over a week and I'm more than satisified with it. Would have to agree that the running is silent.

I haven't bought any of the component boards as yet, just using the VGA at the moment via a sync box to RGB scart. PQ is great.

Got the 42PWD6, pedestal stand, 3 year onsite warranty, sync box and good leads for £2k. Bargain IMHO.
    I still laugh my head off when I walk around Currys or Dixons :laugh:

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have had my PWD6 for about 10 months.

When deciding on the Panasonic, I considered the Pioneer. I slightly preferred it's picture to the Panasonic when I compared them side be side in the shop, but the difference was far too small to justify the £1k+ price difference between the screens.

The Panasonic is absolutely silent. The PSU buzz is only audible when you stick your ear behind the screen. I can't even hear it from 6 inches away unless then room is totally silent.

The picture from a decent DVD player fed through component is excellent to say the least.

5. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Shame about your forum name......that's why you should never tatoo your girlfriends name on your arm! :)

Seriously mine doesn't suffer from a loud buzz. It's there but not noticable from where I sit.

6. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I'll take it! Send it to me! :thumbsup:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I reconmend you look at the Panansonic PHD6 and perhaps even the Fujitsu 50XHA....... both are none TV variants ie screen only but offer same high resolution as Pio..... With better contrast and hope fully quieter performance....have a search and see what you think

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    PDP-434HDE

I have to say you do seem to have been mighty unlucky - I got in trouble last week from some quarters for poking fun at your supplier so I'd better not go there again; but I do think your gripes should not all be aimed at the manufacturer.

A TH-42PWD6BX should be no louder or quieter than a PDP-434HDE - they both have virtually zero deadening material to 'restrict' any noise the electronics make; in fact the PWD6 is potentially worse as it doesn't have a fan in case things get too hot so has to have more convection holes than the Pioneer Screen.

If you want to go Panasonic Plasma Display then as Horny say go for the 1024x768 HD units and install a DVI card and your as compatible with the majority of HDMI sources as you were with the Pioneer Plasma TV - though keep in mind the HD units are Fan cooled so possibly noise will be a negative factor for you (though the fans are mighty quiet running).

You can configure the PWD6 in any number of ways and most folk these days also introduce an AV Receiver to pre switch some 'same type' signals into one input on the Display.

Drop me a PM if you want more details on the 6 and 7 Series Displays and connectivity options.

Best regards

Joe

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    my PWD6 is also totally silent