Returning my Philips OLED705 - Can someone recommend me an alternative?

SibTiger33

I'm sadly having to return my Philips OLED705 after only a week due to a bug with Dolby Vision.
I verified that the issue was due to the TV after a call with Philips who confirmed it.

I'm now looking for a replacement.

I only use a Nvivia Shield (Netflix,Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Apple Tv , Youtube) to consume entertainment (no cable/sky tv or SD in general).

As much as i liked the ambient lights on the Philips it wouldnt be a deal breaker to not have the lights so any brand is in the running

• Size: 55 inch
  • Display Technology: OLED (unless someone can convince me that QLED/ULED will be good enough.... )
  • Budget: £1300

I saw the OLED55C14LB which looks good

Also quick question. are there any 12 bit TVs on the market yet? or is 10 bit still the max (i guess ultimately it doesnt matter given that most of my content is consumed via streaming services but i'm just curious)

Dodgexander

QLED/ULED are marketing terms for LCD TVs, they aren't new display technologies.
I'd suggest picking out a 2020 model at discount, rather than paying for a new 2021 model such as the Panasonic HZ980 since prices on new models are still currently high.

Regarding bit depth, its pretty hard to know the actual displays capabilities. You can only measure whether you see a smooth gradient between one colour and the next and assume if there is a smooth gradient, the TV uses a 10bit panel, or at least an 8bit one with very good dithering. And yes, its possible for even an 8bit panel to have smoother gradients than a 10 bit one. All depends on the panel itself, and the TVs processing.

12 bit? I'm not so sure, there's certainly 12bit processing, but I don't think its at the stage yet where TVs actually use panels capable of displaying that many shades of colours. Many TVs, even ones with 10bit panels have issues with colour gradation which is why brands like Sony and LG have technologies now to smooth out those harsher transitions.

I know its wildly off topic, and like I'm going on a bit of a rant here, but colour bit depth relates not to the quality of colours, or the amount of colours but instead how smooth the transition of one colour is to the next...its probably one of the least important things to look out for when buying a TV nowadays.

SibTiger33

I found the LG oled c1 55 for approx £1100

Also saw the new Philips tvs but given the software issues I had I'm not sure I can go philips again (even though support was actually really good in trying to resolve the issue)

SibTiger33

What was the Dolby Vision bug out of interest? You are aware that only the Nvidia Shield/Pro from 2019 has the ability to play DV content?
Fully aware. I have latest shield.
The issue is dolby vision content does not display correctly showing purple with liens through content
Already configured with Philips on their end (only happens via connected devices and not built in apps)

jdevil

Distinguished Member
I found the LG oled c1 55 for approx £1100

Also saw the new Philips tvs but given the software issues I had I'm not sure I can go philips again (even though support was actually really good in trying to resolve the issue)
You can't go wrong with the C1 at that price!

jdevil

Distinguished Member
I'm hearing its a good TV :) - I was actually really happy with the picture from the Philips (other than the Dolby Vision bug ) so if the C1 is better I'll be a well happy :)
I'm getting mines today. :D I used to have the Lg CX which was amazing but had to upgrade to 65".

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom