Returning HD-D45.. Alternatives Ideas ?

Dan-uk

Standard Member
Reaction score
After having spent many fruitless hours on the phone to Sagem re the HD-D45, I have decided that they are as much use technically as a chocolate teapot... and their helpdesk isn't AT ALL helpful

I have 3 issues .. all well documented here in the forums

1. SPDIF doesn't produce sound to the amp when connected to DVD player, sound only gets as far as TV speakers. Works OK when using RF signal

2. Screen brightness flicker

3. Occasional sound distortion - mainly BBC1

Sagem will not answer my questions and its been referred for 2 months to their "senior" man in France...

John Lewis to send a engineer round to confirm issues and then I'm returning the set.

Questions therefore :

1] Does the 56inch version suffer same issues... I guessing it will. Has anyone successfully used the SPDIF with the DVD and amp.

2] If not is the Sammy SP46 the only real alternative.

Regards

Dan

If the issue is with Sagem as a brand, the Samsung is your next port of call.

I spent months auditioning sets and Samsung and Sagem were the only contenders by a mile. Ended up with a SP46 and have had absolutely zero issues or problems.

This is what I know.

1) Let’s says your using component make sure in the options menu you have set SPDIF Source to AV5. Then again if the TV speakers are working then you must have already done that. Are you using component, DVI or Scart?

2) There is a piece of hardware that needs replacing that fixes the brightness problem. This also seems to affect some HD-D56 the part that is not working correctly is not made by Sagem it’s made by the people who make the Lamps.

3) Don’t know about this one if it’s only on RF then it’s more than likely a tuning problem.

I'm using all belden 1694A component leads as well as 1694A leads to connect the SPDIF from tv to the amp and the DVD player to the TV. Picture quality is just fantastic, hence my patients. My question therefore re the SP46 is how it sync's sound from the DVD if it doesn't have a co-axial SPDIF. ? Or am I being thick ... ? Do you just connect the DVD via component and then direct from DVD to Amp for the sound and hope it doesn't have a lip sync issue?

Has ANYONE managed to get the SPDIF on an HD-D45 to work as per the book, I.E. specify AV5 and the hook dvd to TV and TV to Amp via the SPDIF, cause I haven't found anyone yet who has !!!! :)

Heya Spratta...

I am giving up on Sagem too - they just broke my TV trying to fix the Ballast and Tuner Board.

Hi Dan-UK

I've had no problems at all with SPDIF connections. I've used 2 different DVD players (DVI and component outs) linked directly to the TV and then on to the AV receiver. As long as I change the SPDIF input on the menu then every thing is fine.

I got one of the first HD-D45s (version 28) and apart from the frosty screen issue have absolutely no bad things to report at all.

Sid

It seems im the only one that is happy with my HD45S
Pc is connected via dvi and is brilliant other than the slight overscan
My dvd is connected to the amp with an optical cable and works superb with no lip sync
The tv is connected via coaxal to the spdif out and same again no probs with lip sync works grt
just a case of setting it up right in the options menu
I like the frosted screen i find it better than getting reflections from all over
As for the rainbow effect i suffer with it only on terrestrial tv (dvd is fine so is HD and pc)
But almost completely goes away when i take my glasses off to watch tv which is weird
As for everyones problems with this tv i dont know now i have it all set up im very happy guess time will tell if anything changes

Hi blackwavesid

Umm that may just mean then, that my amp and dvd player are so old and pony, that I simply need a new dvd player and amp.

Thanks for the info.

However it would seem, judging by other peoples posts that the sound and screen brightness flicker may need to be sorted by a hardware and firmware upgrade.

I had a phone call from Sagem last thing today saying they would send someone out. Assuming they aren't bullsh**ing me, I'll interogate the guy :) If anyone has any questions you want asking, let me know

Cheers

Dan

Dan-uk said:
I'm using all belden 1694A component leads as well as 1694A leads to connect the SPDIF from tv to the amp and the DVD player to the TV. Picture quality is just fantastic, hence my patients. My question therefore re the SP46 is how it sync's sound from the DVD if it doesn't have a co-axial SPDIF. ? Or am I being thick ... ? Do you just connect the DVD via component and then direct from DVD to Amp for the sound and hope it doesn't have a lip sync issue?

Has ANYONE managed to get the SPDIF on an HD-D45 to work as per the book, I.E. specify AV5 and the hook dvd to TV and TV to Amp via the SPDIF, cause I haven't found anyone yet who has !!!! :)
It worked with my HD-D45S :) i didn't notice any lag with direct connection of DVD to receiver. so when HD-D45 arrived i didn't use it.

strangely, i didn't notice sreen brightness change and flickering in last 3 days...

I'm very happy with mine, it's been faultless so far (touches wood), and the picture is amazing.

Watched the footie game last night on BBC 1, and it looked fab :) :smashin:

I honestly feel that the guys experiencing problems have had a bad batch.

It's so nice having a big screen again :)

Hi Guys

Ok I brought a Sagem HD 45 back in Feb of this year and initally was very happy with my purchase, I noticed the rainbows but soon got used to them and they went away :)

Then 3 months l8er we had a thunder storm and when the thunder kicked off my screen flashed with a white light and from then on it continued to randomly flash.

I contacted Sagem and was given the number for the engineers who they contract their work to.

I called the engineers and they were very unhelpful and bit usuless to say the least, it took 3 months to get an engineer out.

He had a look and couldnt work out the problem so he just replaced the main board and another board inside.

The tv was fine for 24 hrs but then the problem persited.

So I contact Andrew Gordman and Stuart Wright at Sagem and explained the situation and they arranged for a replacement set to be sent out.

When I took ownership of the replacement set I noticed a black smudge in the top right hand corner which was really bad when using my PC and at the bottom of the screen in the middle was a glowing white light which looked like the projector shining through the screen.

I again contact Andrew and Stuart and they arranged for a 2nd replacemtn (tv number 3) and this is the one I currently own but unfortunatley this tv also has the white light at the bottom and more recently begain to flicker and flash like the 1st set.

I spoke with Stuart Wright at Sagem who was absoloutly excellent and very friendly and helful and he granted me a refund which I have now had and im waiting for a courier to come and pick up this set.

It appears I have just been unlucky with this set and Andrew Gorman seemed to think the white light and the black smudge are caused in transit when the mirrors and projector are damaged but he wasn't 100% about this.

As unlucky as I have been I would just like to say Andrew and Stuart have been more than helpful and I think even though there have been a lot of problems with my HD45 Sagem have been nothing but helpful and have bent over backwards to help me.

Their biggest problem is their crappy engineers who are bloody usless.

I am now moving back to Plasma as I dont wantr to risk buying another DLP and have the same problems again.

Anyone else had any major issues with their HD 45?

You've just been incredibly unlucky. Don't yield to the Dark Side (plasma) as there are new Sagems and other DLP alternatives to choose from.

Given the problems that plasma seems to be fraught with, I'd say you're going to be on a much stickier wicket.

I dunno dude Ive had a plasma before and had no probs, the newer ones are much better as well as they have screen burn protection well it limits it anyway lol

Yeah I think ive just been very unlucky but at least sagem were as helpful as they have been :)

the_pauley said:
...Given the problems that plasma seems to be fraught with.....
Given what I see in what was the DLP forum (including cases like this one) it seems that DLPs are quite capable of causing enough grief.

CoreyTaylor said:
Hi Guys
When I took ownership of the replacement set I noticed a black smudge in the top right hand corner which was really bad when using my PC and at the bottom of the screen in the middle was a glowing white light which looked like the projector shining through the screen.
I again contact Andrew and Stuart and they arranged for a 2nd replacemtn (tv number 3) and this is the one I currently own but unfortunatley this tv also has the white light at the bottom and more recently begain to flicker and flash like the 1st set.

Anyone else had any major issues with their HD 45?
I am having a replacemet set and it too does exactly same things.
The light line and the black smudge is still there!
but strangely, no brightness flickering for the last whole week. very strange.
about brightness change - sometimes , very rarely, it happens when there are subtitles on bright background appearing taking a third of the screen. Looks like autobrightness feature in "ECO" mode. I am still using ECO mode and it seems OK now. don't know i i call Sagem now or later - when they will have only new TV's. (i've got stunning black HD-D45 as a replacement for my HD-D45S! :thumbsup: )

Sounds like the HD45 has its faults then, im glad to hear im not the only one whos expierenced these problems :)

Dont u find the screen bloody dark with eco mode on? I had to take it off cause it annoyed me when using the internet lol

Ive decided to go for a Hitachi 42PD7200 Plasma next as theyve had amazing reviews and ive seen one in action and their superb and the best plasma for the price plus it has all the connections I need including a DVI and a HDMI which is just fantastic especially when SKY sort out HDTV propoerly and use good channels and not shitey arts channels tut tut but I can use HDMI for SKY and DVI for the XBOX 360 when Bill gets off his arse and releases a DVI cable that is :)

CoreyTaylor said:
Sounds like the HD45 has its faults then, im glad to hear im not the only one whos expierenced these problems :)

Dont u find the screen bloody dark with eco mode on? I had to take it off cause it annoyed me when using the internet lol

Ive decided to go for a Hitachi 42PD7200 Plasma next as theyve had amazing reviews and ive seen one in action and their superb and the best plasma for the price plus it has all the connections I need including a DVI and a HDMI which is just fantastic especially when SKY sort out HDTV propoerly and use good channels and not shitey arts channels tut tut but I can use HDMI for SKY and DVI for the XBOX 360 when Bill gets off his arse and releases a DVI cable that is :)
dark? :eek: you jokin' :)
I have to turn brightness down to 30-40 with ECO mode on - the screen is so bright!
My normal settings for TV terrestrials and PC are 42-42-50 :)
Go for Pana 42PV500. it's better, much better. The Hitachi's (and fujitsu's) ALiS technology is old. and it's interlaced. :thumbsdow

ooer, looks like I'm one of the only ones not have experienced any issues so far.

Would be nice to hear from others :)

Snap dude I got my brightness at 40 which is why i got the bloody eco mode off cause its crap lol

nah I prefer the Hitachi cause it has better connections than most plasmas including the panny and I can connect all my kit with a limited amount of switch boxes which is always a nice bonus dude :)

The best alternative, and perhaps better than the original product for you is the Samsung SP46L6...

There really is no debate.

CoreyTaylor said:
Snap dude I got my brightness at 40 which is why i got the bloody eco mode off cause its crap lol

nah I prefer the Hitachi cause it has better connections than most plasmas including the panny and I can connect all my kit with a limited amount of switch boxes which is always a nice bonus dude :)
using ECO is lowering voltage on the lamp and increasing it's life. turning down the brightness from 42 to 40 is not doing same. you can see it bu clicking Menu button - the menu is bright whatever settings you use:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom