1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning films that don't match the description

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by AOD, May 29, 2002.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    One for all you consumer rights bods out there.

I recently purchased a copy of Harry Potter R1 from a well known online retailer. I was pleased to note that the R1 version had subtitles in Spanish as a lot of my relatives speak Spanish (long story) and it's nice to be able to take films with us when we go to visit them.

The discs arrived a couple of days later and to my dismay I found that the only subtitles available are English & French.

Now, what I want to know is this. Given that the product doesn't match the description, would I have a case for returning it and demanding a refund?

I've already spoken with the company concerned and they refused a full refund, saying they'd have to deduct around £3 for import duties etc.

What say you all?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

With online e-tailers, this kind of issue is notoriously difficult to prove if the website in question is to blame for leading you to believe that HP had Spanish subtitles.

You could try complaining to their (the DVD company's website) management, but I doubt you'll get very fair. More than likely, on one of the website's pages, there'll be a tiny piece of writing that says:

"E and OE".

This actually means "Errors and Omissions Exempt", and is a good get-out clause for any website. Basically, it means: "If we website designers make a mistake, tough titty, because we ain't liable for it!"

As such, your best bet may be to request they EXCHANGE your DVD, rather than refund it. Then, make sure you ask any of the many forum members in here, if your chosen DVD has Spanish subtitles, if that is what you specifically want.

Hope this helps,

Pooch

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not had a problem so far getting a refund or exchange when the product hasn't matched the description on the web site. CD-WOW in particular have been great about such things (full refund, freepost return, and even emailed me to let me know that they had received the returned DVD and processed the refund to my credit card :eek:).

I think it makes for good customer service when they are prepared to do this. After all, if they don't, then you might be hesitant to shop with this company again, because you might not be sure what you are going to get.

If they want to deduct import duties, would I be right in thinking that this company is based abroad? Gets complicated..... :rolleyes:

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You should save a copy of their web site before they change it. ;)

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I informed the individual I spoke with that I would take my business elsewhere in future and henceforth deal with companies that have a more enlightened approach.

I did have a similar incident once in the past with another film, Notting Hill. However the supplier in that case (DVD Box Office) was happy for me to return the film for a full refund if I so wished.

That's customer service.

6. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    51st State

Never mind the film the photography of Liverpool is superb,so we were told.
    The acting was pathetic-the scouse accents were even worse.
    After 20 minutes I was told to switch off-I did'nt argue because it must have been the worse film I have had on rental.
    The language was absolutely filthy and so unnecessary.
    Took it back the next morning-got a full refund.
    Thank you Mr Blockbuster:eek:

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Not quite sure why you needed to quote me in order to provide us with that information though :confused:

8. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You probably have the Canadian version which has French audio and subtitles instead. Most UK based e-tailer supplied this as had correct title, US used Sorcerer and is much cheaper.

You will probably struggle for a refund with some companies as they say you must check spec but then don't state which version you want.

If you do want to guarantee US versions in future, try Movietyme and they now over choice of US or Canadian versions on many titles or can specifically request (however expect to pay £2 or £3 extra) or Amazon.

Future and Play only seem to source Canadian disks with no choice.