Returning a TV (Sony KV32CS70)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by rickyroma, Feb 21, 2005.

1. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ive got genuine problems with this set , and finally its time for a return.Got it 3 months ago.
    I got a Sony Tech (nothing to do with the store i bought it from) out to check the TV out first, he said he could see the probem but there wasnt much he could do.(great!)

I rang the shop I bought it from to ask them to take it back and they tell me they're sending out another Sony Tech to have a look at it before they decide(well annoyed by now)

My question is what am I entitled to here ? I dont know much about returning a set ?

Do I have the right to demand a replacement set or refund because it was dodgy when I got it in the first place ?

here are the 4 problems I had with it.

1 . Screen is bent , the corners look like they are pinned back and scrolling bars along the bottom are very noticeably curved.Very annoying watching anything it letterbox.

2 . RGB Flickering , I though I had sorted this but most consoles still give me flickering even with gold cables , the gold cables did reduce it but its still very frequent.

3. Colour Bleed , The was a green (sometimes red) line that ran along alot of the top of the screen until it was shifted up via the service menu)

4. Green & Red Edges . noticed this along the top bottom and left sides , when a white (or bright colour) is about to touch the edge a bit of green or red flairs up in between them just before they meet , I know this can be normal , ive seen it on other tvs but not as bad as this !!

All in all a nightmare first 32 inch crt buy for me !!!

To think 3 months ago Id never even heard of a service menu !! :thumbsdow

Edit
    forgot to ask , say they do get the set looking somewhat better , am i still entitled to ask for a completely new replacement set ?

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Try searvhing for the sale of goods act.
    The TV must be of merchdisable quality, but if not you must accept resonable repair, resonable has different meanings for different people and companies!
    Nigel

3. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    cheers for that ill have a look , must admit im pretty picky about it but anyone would complain if they had to live wit my set , theres a nother rgb issue I forgot to mention but ill leave it that !

4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    rickyroma

I sympathise with you - I had terrible problems on a 32" Panasonic not too disimilar to what you are describing and (very unusually) a Mastercare engineer actually confirmed that my brand new set was indeed at fault and arranged another set to be delivered (same model) - Unfortunately the next one was even worse, so I demanded my money back from Curry's (no easy task from this awful retailer!) and won as I was persistant saying that it was not fit for the purpose it was sold for - ie watching a good picture !!

I then bought at CS70 from a local Sony dealer. I have to say my set is superb, so I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with yours. The green and red edges you mention are evident on the left hand side of my picture (a little) - only really noticeable if you are watching a "zoomed" up 4:3 picture that say BBC are transmitting trying to make it widescreen - ie small black vertical bars left and right of the picture. Other than this, I don't really notice it, but I do know what you mean.

Perfect geometry on a 32" CRT tv is very difficult to obtain, regardless of make or model. Depends how bad the bending you mention and scrolling captions are... I think on mine, scrolling text towards the bottom of the screen is not completely straight, but is not bad at all...

It does sound like you may have got a bit of a duff set. Do check out the 1979 Sales of Goods act (do a google search) to give u the full picture. How long have you had the set? Where did u get it from - big chain or local dealer?

Did the Sony engineer you arranged to come out actually say it was faulty?

Paul

5. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Ricky, why did you get a sony tech that has nothing to do with the company you bought the set from to look at your tv? I am presuming, maybe wrongly, that this tech you contacted opened the set to find the fault? correct me if I am wrong.
    However, in 2002, the sale of goods act was amended, stating that if a fault occurs within 6 months of purchase then it is deemed that the fault must have been present before purchase, therefore entitling the consumer with the right of a full refund.
    All you had to do basically was contact the place you bought it from and told them you were asking for a full refund under the sale of goods act 2002.
    My fear on your matter is that if this tech you had look at the set has actually opened the set to look at the fault, the shop may argue the guarantee has been invalidated, and the tech they send out may well spot if it has been opened.
    If on the other hand the set has not been opened, I suggest you do as I advise, you are entitled to a full refund, no arguments from the company you bought it from, if you want through your own goodwill to allow them to appoint a tech to inspect the set and the same fault occurs after supposedly been sorted, you're still entitled to a refund.
    Hope you get the problem sorted.

6. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    hey luckily the sony tech I got out did nothing to the warranty , called up sony yesterday and they said they had fixed Geometry & Panorama on the set.

Gonna sell it to my mate when I get it back , cant deal with crts anymore !

Anyone know what the panorama is , ive seen it in the service menu before ??
    I knew it wasnt geometry alone because I couldnt fix it in the geometry section of the service menu, messed with every setting !

7. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    well i just got it back and would you believe it , its the exact same as it was when i sent it , picture is still curved and they were even nice enough to give me back the colour bleed across the top !!! the only difference was the vsize was smaller (hence the colour bleed again) plus the picture was on + 2 rotation which made it look even worse.

I got a receipt saying panorama and geometry fixed , they did nothing to it , absolutely nothing , now im well miffed.

8. arcamalpha

arcamalpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Rickyroma, press for your money back mate, obviously you're not happy about the attempt they have made at sorting the problem, full refund I think is in order.