1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning a TV for refund/replacement

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pward, Jan 12, 2004.

1. pward

pward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We are about to make a decision on a 32" widescreen TV and have read many posts from people who have sent sets back for replacement for faults such as colour impurity, dirty screens etc etc.

Whilst I am aware of my rights under consumer law, how difficult is it in reality to get a set replaced from, for example, the Comets/Currys of this world?

Would buying from somewhere like John Lewis be a better move?

We also have Sound and Vision at Bolton within easy driving distance. Their prices seem competitive. Has anyone any recent experience with their after-sales service?

Thanks,

Paul

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    In my experience, Dixons group are actually pretty good when it comes to arranging and delivering replacements.

I gather that John Lewis are, too. I have to say that I'd be inclinded to trust JL more than Dixons but I have no real grounds for this view.

Sound & Vision are a different story. As with many low-cost retailers, their emphasis is on the sales operation. Getting through to a service person can be problematic. I had a warranty claim on a VCR a few years ago. Although it was, eventually resolved to my satisfaction, it did take quite a bit of patience on my part.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,492
    Also, don't John Lewis offer a free five year warranty when you buy a TV from them?

If thats correct I would recommened John Lewis.

Greg

4. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet were not fun to deal with. Before agreeing to a replacement they insisted on sending an engineer out, and even getting that arranged was a painful drawn out process where they kept saying they'd call back but days later they still hadn't. After the third "dirty screened" TV I decided to go for a refund and that was a total battle - the store said it was the OnLine department's responsibility, the OnLine department said it was the store's and I was stuck in the middle and it wasn't helped by the engineer claiming the set was behaving within its tolerance even though the two previous engineers had agreed the same symptoms were a fault. Unpleasant experience all round.

5. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you know what happens to quite a few products that are returned ? they get sold again.and not as A grade or returns!
    often the manager looks at the fault and decides if its bad enough or if the manager thinks you have brought it back for being too picky or you just didnt like it .It will go right back on sale.
    I bought a cordless phone from argos got it home it was already charged and had peoples names and numbers in its memory!!
    stores which have a loose exchange policy cant send it back if you dont like it and put it back on sale.

I worked in retail for 10 years and know this happens.

yes if the set has a very visable fault it will go back to be repaired or exchanged .
    sony had and may still have a policy that if you had a service department and a new set was faulty you could repair it and get money back not just for the repair but money off to make the set "A grade "so you can sell it cheaper.
    Now if a set was faulty out of the box ,say to be put on display and never been to a customer and was then fixed and put back in its box.The retailer could claim the money from Sony.

Now heres the good bit it is down to the HONESTY of the salesman or manager to tell you its A grade there is nothing to tell you it was faulty (although it should have a sticker on it)and then repaired and the shop could make a tidy profit even at a discounted price.

Whenever i buy any big electrical item i ask
    has it been on display?
    has it been repaired?
    is it a return?
    is it about to be replaced by a new model?

I have seen retailers with manufacturers branded sealing tape to give the impression its never been opened.
    Boxes are often opened from the bottom and sealed with clear tape if they are DVD players or Amps VCR's etc

I would deal with retailers who have a fair returns policy but be very careful when items are delivered and check them properly

6. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Couldnt agree with you more. I had a bad experience with an online retailer who shall remain nameless in this thread (do a search!).

7. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes same here, Dan666 but they seen sense after i sent them a letter detailing my experience and my rights under the law, and showed them where they broken the law, and that i would take action with TS & CC company, funny enough 7 days after had full refund!