Returning a plasma - distance selling rule?

duckson

Established Member
Reaction score
Little help/advice please!

I bought a 51" plasma online (from Electrical Experience) which was delivered last Friday (28th Dec), however over the time i've had it i've noticed more and more the buzzing from the panel.

I can hear it 3 metres away espeically when the audio drops, to me this is verging on faulty (i know some plasmas buzz but i've read plenty of people saying theirs dont make a noise).

Can i still return it under the Distance Selling Rules?
I believe i have 7 days not including the day i got it which would give me all tomorrow (Saturday 5th Jan) to contact the supplier to tell them i want it returned.

Would i have to pay postage or any other fee?
I have all the packaging, the TV/base still has the cellophane on, 3D glasses are unused etc.

Thanks for any help.

You're also covered under the sales of hoods act(SOGA link in my Sig). If you think its faulty they need to prove otherwise for up to six months.

Scoob, does your plasma (and past plasma's) buzz much?

Don't walk to me about buzz..zzz.zzz....zzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzz...:suicide:

I had a V20 that was really bad, very high pitched and just nasty. I had it looked at, first the engineer said he couldn't hear a thing, even with his ear to the set!:rolleyes:
I kicked up a fuss and got the power supply I think replaced, two weeks later it was back. After more ranting I got it replaced(300 mile round trip for me:facepalm:).

Second set was worse!!:mad: The store then went under so had to deal with Panasonic who didn't want to know. Lucky for me it developed another issue and I got a full refund from Panasonic.

Sets do buzz a bit, my GT30 had a slight buzz as does my D6900, rarely notice it though.

I can appreciate hearing a buzz from a foot away but not from 10 feet, to me that is unacceptable.
Are yours audible from that sort of distance?

is it a Samsung E6500? Mine buzzes too and its driving me mad. Thinking of returning it but there arent many of these left around. RS where i got it from dont have any more as far as i am aware. Are you looking for a refund or replacement?

No I sit about 5ft away at the mo and its rare I hear it, if the screen goes bright I do but its nothing like the V20 was. Peoples hearing does vary though, I can hear quite high frequencies though, had a cat deterrent ones and it was a kill, what was worse, I sore a cat sit next to it once lol. Environment can effect it too.

Yep its an E6500, i'd be looking for a refund.

Yep it depends on the person i think, i hear anything that isn't right were as the wife doesn't (and didn't) notice anything amiss with the E6500. If i sit facing it i cant hear it as much but if i turn my head to one side slightly i can hear it (this is at ~3m).

My GF cant hear any buzzing either. My buzz is quite high pitched too, and it only varies in tone if i move my head around, and i can hear it most of the time.

It can be less when watching blurays but not always. Even when i have it quite loud thought the AV amp during scenes of talking (rather than explosions and gun fire etc) i can still hear it.

Im just worried RS will tell me to go away, or if not, what can they do as they dont have anymore? I should finally have some time to pop in their tomorrow though to see what they say.

Spoke to them today and when i mentioned i wasnt happy with the "buzz" he asked me if it was a Samsung. He reckoned they (and LG) are more "buzzy" than Panasonic which dont buzz at all (alledgedly).
He also said i should try the ferrite core(s) that come with the Samsung's but these make no difference at all.

So i have an address to send it but i have to pay for postage although as its about 15 miles from me i'll take it myself on Monday.

Lets hope there is no messing me about!!

Don't walk to me about buzz..zzz.zzz....zzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzz...:suicide:

I had a V20 that was really bad, very high pitched and just nasty. I had it looked at, first the engineer said he couldn't hear a thing, even with his ear to the set!:rolleyes:
I kicked up a fuss and got the power supply I think replaced, two weeks later it was back. After more ranting I got it replaced(300 mile round trip for me:facepalm:).

Second set was worse!!:mad: The store then went under so had to deal with Panasonic who didn't want to know. Lucky for me it developed another issue and I got a full refund from Panasonic.

Sets do buzz a bit, my GT30 had a slight buzz as does my D6900, rarely notice it though.
That's interesting, i wonder what age your engineer was, as you get older you do lose the ability to hear higher frequencies, i can only hear up to 14Khz these days, my Samsung PS60E6500 doesn't buzz at all, or i can't hear it if it does, this makes me wonder the frequency at which the buzz occurs, anyone know. ?

That's interesting, i wonder what age your engineer was, as you get older you do lose the ability to hear higher frequencies, i can only hear up to 14Khz these days, my Samsung PS60E6500 doesn't buzz at all, or i can't hear it if it does, this makes me wonder the frequency at which the buzz occurs, anyone know. ?

He must have been over 50, had two lads with him though and they said they couldn't hear anything. Almost 40 myself though I can hear very high frequencies, as a child I knew if a set was in in the house before seeing or hearing it. Id imagine its quite a high frequency though sets may well vary.

My wife cant hear the slight buzz my ST50 gives off on a white screen, I can.
I can also hear a CRT high pitched whine they give off, again my wife cant.
Im one year older than the wife too.

Odd how hearing can vary from person to person.

I've an LG plasma here that I've the same dilemma with, problem is everything else is brilliant about it (aside from black levels and reflectivity but I was expecting as much!) and its the cheapest TV of it's size by a long stretch so I'd have to get something much smaller :(

I've only experience watching one other plasma which I've never noticed buzz but I'm more concerned now that I'll have to stick with LED/LCD backlit screens for the foreseeable future if this level of buzzing is the norm...

Yep its an E6500, i'd be looking for a refund.

Yep it depends on the person i think, i hear anything that isn't right were as the wife doesn't (and didn't) notice anything amiss with the E6500. If i sit facing it i cant hear it as much but if i turn my head to one side slightly i can hear it (this is at ~3m).

All plasmas, buzz, some LCDs do too, its a combination of environment and peoples personal hearing.

Frequencies that bug some don't bug others, and others may find things bug them and not you. All sound travels in waves of peaks and troughs so finding a trough reduces the noise.

Saying that, wouldn't it be great If I could move my head slightly to one side to reduce the whining of my Mrs.:cool:

My D6900 buzzes, but it seems inconsistent. Sometimes I notice it, most of the time I don't. Seems to get better the longer the panel is left on however (I'm guessing the components expand slightly to suppress it, or I'm subconsciously filtering it out).

More annoying than my erratic plasma buzz is my Samsung LCD monitor which emits a very high-pitch whine. Normally I don't notice it over the fan noise from my laptop. But surprisingly it emits a high-pitch beep when on standby each time the standby LED illuminates. Now that's annoying...

Saying that, wouldn't it be great If I could move my head slightly to one side to reduce the whining of my Mrs.:cool:

You have a few options, trade her in for a younger model, use headphones or turn the volume up on the TV.

P.S. Let's hope she doesn't read AV Forums. :laugh:

My wife cant hear the slight buzz my ST50 gives off on a white screen, I can.
I can also hear a CRT high pitched whine they give off, again my wife cant.
Im one year older than the wife too.

Odd how hearing can vary from person to person.

Are you an Alsatian?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom