Returning A Bike To Halfords

y2k

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I bought a new bike 2 days ago from halfords and its been playing up the brakes failed last night on the way to work and the brake cable came loose, halfords said they done a safety check on the bike when I bought it and they did not and I would like to return the bike because I have had nothing but problems and have not even cycled 2 miles in it yet.

Can I return the bike for a refund because the gears do not work correct and the disc brakes are rubbish, only the front one now works at all now.

I'd say thats not fit for purpose chap. But on the other hand, they can say they did the safety check and put the blame on you for the parts that now dont work. It's a grey area mate, but an understanding manager would at least get it in for the safety check to put everything right.

In the past I have bought two bikes for my children from Halfords. I couldn't take them with me at purchase because they had to be expertly assembled, adjusted and tested by them.

In reality they did the bare minimum - little more than take it out of the box and straighten the handlebars.

They did not attempt to adjust the saddle\handlebar heights to suit my children and in each case I had to do adjustments to the brakes and the gears to get them running properly.

I haven't bothered with Halfords with my more recent purchases.

Take it back and get them to rectifed or refunded.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'd go with 'not fit for purpose'...
fact is after 2 days, realistically, how much could you have done to screw it up? unless you were deliberately willing to risk your life to prove a point!!

they are not called Halfrauds without reason:D

some of the staff are unbelievably arrogant - particularly the chav's with the modded Corsa's etc

they park in the disabled bays to avoid their 'pride and joy' being damaged!!!

It must depend on your branch. I cannot recommend my local halfords enough, the staff are polite, helpful and courteous.

I bought the wrong HT leads once and despite having opened the box and tried to fit them, when I took them back they willingly exchanged them, same with a couple of bulbs. Ok they're not high value items but they didn't even blink an eye. I also bought a bike once where I could not get the gears to sit correctly and again took it in where the guy set everything aside, spent a good twenty minutes fine tuning it etc and I walked away not having paid a penny.

I agree, I think they will be fine when it comes to a problem or returning things.

Just don't think they set up their bikes well.

Cheers,

Nigel

P.S. You may have trouble returning it though. It sounds like the brakes and gears just need adjusting properly - when you say the gears don't work I assume you mean that they are not indexing properly - e.g. the back doesn't always shift (especially at the ends) or on the fronts, the chain has a tendancy to move between rings. Halfords ceratinly need to put that right and they probably won't have any problem with that. I don't think they are obliged to take the bike back if they are prepared to do the setup which they should have done in the first place.

I bought my bike from Halfords and when i collected it after its assembly and 'safety check', the front brakes were jammed on, the rear wheel was fitted crookedly and half the gears didn't work. Still, I suppose, strictly, it IS safe if you can't actually ride it anywhere.....

Thanks for all the replys, I took the bike back to halfords this morning and they gave me a refund because the bike was faulty in a few different areas :thumbsup:.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom