Returning 963SA for refund.

J

Jonny1973

I'm returning my Philips 963SA for a refund.

The picture is just too rubish to justify the 300 quid outlay.

Good Points
========
Clean picture with no jaggies.

Bad Points
========
Rubbish black level
Dull, lifeless picture.
No colour adjustment for component.
Poor detail and macro block artifacts.
Remote Control range is poor. Only works facing the player.
Hard buttons on remote with play in wrong place.

When I first got it, I tried it with Monsters Inc and Toy Story which looked fab but doesn't test the black levels, contrast or skin tones.

When trying darker live-action films I became more disappointed with the picture. It's lifeless and drab looking.

So are you still in the market for a new player? What alternatives are you considering?

Any other feedback from new owners? Seems like a few negative comments over on the AVSForum thread, but this may be setup?

Cheers guys,

Shaun

For the time being, i'll stick with my PC.

I might consider another Prog Scan player later in the year when there is a better selection, after reading reviews this time of course.

Shaun

I have a similar set up to Jonny - i.e. Panny 100, pro-v etc. Just got and set up a 963 today and it is the best picture I have experienced on my system.

I don't seem to have the same problems at all. The contrast is good and the colours really vibrant.

Black levels on my set up are as good as any player on the Panny (LCD proj)

I have owned or tried Sony 735, 900, Tosh 520, Denon 3800

I was about to buy the arcam dv88+ which I demoed in my system for a few days. The 963 gives me a better picture and about 90% on the arcam's sonic ability.

Cheers

my 963 is great. The only downer would be the remote sensitivity and button layout. That'll be sorted once it gets pronto'd

Richard

I have pronto and the remote operaton is still not that good. - Must be the IR receiver in the player thats at fault.

If I can locate it on the player I might put get IR relay - was thinking of hiding all my components in any case.

Cheers

I'm also waiting for my 963sa to arrive . . . bought after reading a comparison review of the 963, Arcam DV88 & Denon 3800 players on AVSForum, in which the 963 did amazingly well considering the price difference.

Sounds like Jonny has just been very unlucky getting a dodgy unit ?

Can't agree with Jonny1973 post I'm afraid.

I've been using my 963SA since November and I'm delighted with it - had numerous people around showing off my 963SA-AE300 combo and everyone has been gobsmacked.

Originally posted by TimF
If I can locate it on the player I might put get IR relay - was thinking of hiding all my components in any case.
I've got my 963SA in a cabinet, using the Keene IR distribution amp to relay the IR.

Before I got my 963, the single "wide" IR wand was operating all the components in the cabinet, but it wouldn't work the 963. I've now got an additional "narrow" IR wand pointing directly at the 963 IR receiver window, and it works a treat.

For what it's worth, I'm also very happy with my 963SA.

Tim

Why don't you just replace it for a another unit in case it's a faulty unit as no one seems to agree with you ???

Just in case...you never know..

Hi Guys,
My player is also going back! Got it today, did the prog. scan hack and the multi-region 1 hack too. The main reason I bought this player was for the progressive scan capabilities, but hooking up to my Pioneer 433MXE (through componet video), I was very disappointed to find vertical bars, watching a dark based movie (seven) is awful. When switching to the interlaced mode, the picture was fantastic, but as I said I want this player for it's progressive scan output. Has anyone else had this problem? I know over on the avsforum there are a few reports about it.
Could this be down to the players DCDI chip competing with the plasma's de-interlacer?
Whats the next best player? Could I have just been unlucky?
Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
John

I cannot tell you how much you are all disappointing me. I have just ordered one on-line.

Oh well.

andy

Many thanks everyone for all of your comments:)

Anyone using with a CRT Projector?

MontyUK, can you remember the link to that comparison thread, i tried a search but mainly got the massive thread on modding?

Cheers again,

Shaun

Hi All

I have had my 963sa up and running for only an hour. In a work I am gobsmacked :D

Bare in mind that my previous player was a Pioneer DV505 (4 years old with wafer thin build quality and sound to match) but the Philips is simply a great bit of kit.

I am using a Philips 28" TV and haven't experienced any of the issues that Jonny mentions, although I believe he is running it through a projector.

Aside from the brilliant picture quality (IMO) the area that really suprised me is CD playback. I also have a Rotel 965 CD player (slightly out of date too:p) but the Philips sounds better. I was expecting poor replay of standard music CD's but am really pleased.

I had to wait 2 weeks for Robertsons to deliver but it was worth it. Can't believe I am going to be subjected to Eastenders by the wife for 30 mins now....oh well, gives me chance to find the region 1 hack!

Cheers

James

Philips 963SA, Pioneer THX amp, Dynaudio Audience Speakers.

Originally posted by jamesl01
Hi All

I am using a Philips 28" TV and haven't experienced any of the issues that Jonny mentions, although I believe he is running it through a projector.

My complaints are with the component output, the picture was fine on a TV using the scart.

An 80" (92" diag) widescreen isn't as forgiving as a 28" one.

I agree with TimF, I just don't understand why you are having the problems you are, I can only think it is a faulty unit. Philips build quality is strange at times, I had a Q50 with so many different problems, that other people never mentioned, I had to sell it - bought from Hong Kong.

Previous to getting my 963SA I was using a HCPC (for 6 months) using Cineplayer 1.5 and an ATI 8500 - fine tuned over months to my 100" projector. The picture quality compared to the 963SA (component progressive output) is very close, yes black levels, contrast, definition - all very close.

I was considering this player until I read the comments from Placebo2 about using it with a 433MXE.

Anyone know what the deal is re.the bars he is seeing from a prog scan source?

:(

Got mine yesterday and played with it last night. PAL-P and multiregion hacks worked fine and the progressive component into my Z1 PJ looks great. I can only imagine that those with bands or poor contrast have either a faulty player, a problem with the interconnects/display device or have not been able to find the right settings on 963 and the display device. I just turned off True Life and went to -1 Gamma on the 963 and used the PJ on the same settings as I had for my Pio DV530. That gives me a nice punchy image with plenty of contrast.

_

No problems with the 962SA had it for 8 months now, through a Sanyo PLV30, fantastic results. Tried a Arcam 88 in the demo room and from memory the Philips is at least as good on black level and trounced the Arcam on jaggies. If your paying £300 for a 963SA and its better than mine? then you have a bargain.

Just a thought, but all these Philips 963s are equiped with the Faroudja chip, its not another one of Philips 'some have some havent' deals ?

All DVD963SA boxes have DCDi by Faroudja and a silk screen logo on brushed aluminium front panel, so it's a safe bet the chip is in the player this time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom