• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Returned JU6400, Help need to pick a new 48" quick

prezzacc

Standard Member
Hi All,

Have been lucky enough to return my 48 inch Samsung JU6400. Its not the quality i want for SD. And the system is a bit slow for me compared to my older 32" Bravia.

Please could you recmommend an alternatvie around £600 4k is now not iportant as i believe this was the reason the SD was poor on my set, its upscaling too much.

Im tempted by a sony but hear Android Tv is Very flaky and needs ironing out.

Any advice greatful

Thanks

I'm looking for same 48" full hd or 4k and excellent SD been advised that the Samsung EU48J6300 is what I'm after even tho it's a curved screen. Looks well not 4k but does anyone watch anything in 4k yet. Until it's the norm full hd may be better ive been informed

Stevie1969

As mentioned above, the Samsung j6300 got a good review on here a while back. £539 from John Lewis, if you don't mind the curved screen.

Old Bones

Have been lucky enough to return my 48 inch Samsung JU6400. Its not the quality i want for SD. And the system is a bit slow for me compared to my older 32" Bravia.

Please could you recmommend an alternatvie around £600 4k is now not iportant as i believe this was the reason the SD was poor on my set, its upscaling too much.

To be fair to the JU6400, upsacling from SD to UHD is always going to be tough, even for the best sets. And the JU6400, decent though it is, is an entry level 4K.

Here is the thing - do you want HD or 4K? A Full HD set for £600ish is fine, the Sony W8 (I suspect the OS system thing might not be a huge issue for the bulk of customers) or the J6300. However, you cannot then get 4K.

If you want 4K, then SD is always going to be a problem (if you stand back far enough...), because the level of upscaling is pretty large. If yo want better, then you'll have to pay more. And even though, I'm not sure how happy you will be with the results. Have a think about what you will be watching within the next 5 years, and then decide which way to go. And go and look instore at SD on a 4K, and try out the EPG.

Old Bones

Depends on the budget. Most decent 4K's start around roughly the price of the Samsung JU6400, although the LG/JL 4K's are good value. The Sony x83 and Panasonic CX680 are generally well thought of as well for picture quality. After that, the more you pay, the better it will be. HD is a really good test - its the upscaling and moving that image thats really important. And no 4K set is going to be brill on SD, thats a huge amount of upscaling, and you can only expect so much from a TV.

prezzacc

Standard Member
No problem for asking on here. Good to get old bones opinion.

Some great advice and info there. I've realised that 4k isn't important to me. A full HD set will be enough for my needs. This also will hopefully ensure up scaling from SD will be OK.

Sony at the moment is too risky for me with Android. Therefore I want the latest full HD Samsung without 4k! Or could look to LG/panny !

Anyone know of a site that lists all sets in there order of latest models and series etc?!

Old Bones

Best your going to get in Full HD these days is midlevel. Thats fine, and those two standards, the Sony W8 and the Samsung H6400/ J6300 are going to be the ones to look at. I really dont worry too much about the OS, etc. Does its have a decent picture, lots of bits in the back to make your life easy, a useful remote and can you change the channel easily is fine. And it should look OK off. Both those sets tick those boxes.

Best your going to get in Full HD these days is midlevel. Thats fine, and those two standards, the Sony W8 and the Samsung H6400/ J6300 are going to be the ones to look at. I really dont worry too much about the OS, etc. Does its have a decent picture, lots of bits in the back to make your life easy, a useful remote and can you change the channel easily is fine. And it should look OK off. Both those sets tick those boxes.
A 6400 was returned back to store due to issues.
Might be worth mentioning a few high level full hd sets old bones

DrMekon

Im in the same boat, after just returning my 4k Sony X8509 due to the OS issues, and having to reset the box a couple of times a week.. picture quality was great. However, Ive decided im now just going to spend around £500 for a 50" ish full HD set to bide me over for a couple of years, when 4k and HDR is the norm, then buy my 8-10yr tv, hopefully OLED!

The H6400 is on my shortlist, along with the Panny TX50AS650B and the LG 49LF630V.. I am wondering if it may be worth waiting another week or two hoping that some of the 55" sets may just drop to around the £500 but think thats wishful thinking!

Just been in Currys and there pushing Sony's like mad.
Was told for Sony 49x8309 is better than any Samsung.
Asked about what's the best full HD only (non 4k) tv on the market and was shown the Sony 50W809.
Think one is android tv but he informed me that's now been sorted after a shoddy start. A update has made things ok
As I'm no expert I didn't know but liked the look of the Sonys over the Samsung due to the none over massive stand.

Last edited:

DrMekon

Updates didn't fix mine and prob had more issues with it...but no denying image quality was great. I'd never buy from Curry's as they simply can't match JL or RS on price, warranty or service...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom