1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returned HD-5 to sears, full refund recieved...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by nico_192, Jul 17, 2005.

1. nico_192

nico_192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys,

just returned the HD5 to sears. I got worried about the whole cracked button deal, and decided it wasnt worth the $299 ($318 w/ tax) spent on the item, especially having to deal with sonic stage as well. Got a full refund, no questions asked because i returned it within the 30 day period (was on my 28th day!!! :D ). I then IMMEDIATELY walked out to wal mart, purchased the zen touch for 75$ less..and am about to try it out. If im not satisfied, i once again have 30 days to comply..and i expect wal mart to be just as nice about it.

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You know something? I have the cracked button now, and I don't see the big hoo-hah about it. Sure it's a design problem but it's not actually stopping you use the player at all, and because it'll appear in the warranty period, you can get it replaced or repaired easily enough. I'll have it replaced at my own leisure.

I think the player and the design concepts of it is the bigger problem. The way it wraps all of your music in DRM regardless of how you got it, the inferior (but 'nicer' for those who can't hear quality) sound quality, the comparatively low output which restricts your headphone choices (yes, I am talking about the non-Euro versions), and the lack of flexibility both for loading and playlisting thanks to Sonicstage. The HD5 will be kept hanging around till the next Sony appears, but if I were to return it those would be the reasons.

3. The_Mz

The_Mz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which one (hd5/Zen Touch) you like better? And why is that?

4. nico_192

nico_192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hrmm...well, ...

Hd-5 - more portable...SLIGHTLY better battery life (by about 2 hours or so)

Zen touch - 75$ less, better built, better software, better controls (i hate the button's on hd5, the touch sensor is much better for large music collection).

I'd honestly say I prefer the zen touch.

i'd give the Hd-5 (from 1 to 10) about a 7 (would be an 8 had it not be for the cosmetic issue). Zen touch gets a ROCK SOLID 9.

5. NoviKaNa

NoviKaNa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm, funny. All I've heard is that the Zen Touch has an horrific build-quality. The smallest bump will make it go completely nuts. Did consider it before, but not after hearing the same things from many users.