Returned a Hisense H55U7BUK now what should I consider.

Hi everyone,

Firstly I'm not a particularly knowledgeable AV person, I'm just a guy trying to find a decent television. I bought a Hisense H55U7B back in June on the basis of advice seen in this forum. Unfortunately that television has not worked out and has just been returned for a refund (see mini review)

So I'm looking for a new TV in the 50 to 55" range, with a budget of up to £700. I'd prefer it to have Prime / Netflix installed. It would connect to a Blu Ray player and occasionally a laptop. The Hisense was returned primarily for utterly terrible motion problems, so I would be interested in something that is rock solid in this area above all others.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mini review of the H55U7B as it's still quite new:

-Build quality of the set looked good to me, it's quite smart looking, remote control was good quality.

-Sound is good, though it felt a little "slimmer" than the 10 year old Panasonic Plasma it replaced. Not worse or better, just a little bit lighter and hollower. Perfectly fine quality at all volumes.

-Picture quality was the reason the TV was returned. While the image was rather lovely on slow moving and well lit scenes there were two issues I found very noticeable. The first was motion jaggies which were completely unacceptable on any content fed through the internal Netflix/Prime or via HDMI to a blu Ray DVD. Strangely HDMI via my laptop running VLC did not exhibit this behaviour. Shadow detail in some scenes was non existant leaving the sort of haloing and blockiness I expect to see on a early 2000's mpeg. The combination of these two flaws led to a viewing experience that ranged from annoying to barely acceptable. Even when the defects were low, I could not quite shake the "uncanny valley" feeling. Something I found very strange, with the larger panel and resolution I became very aware of the fake nature of sets and sensitive to camera movements. Watching this TV I felt like I was part of the crew watching it being filmed, rather than actually being just absorbed by the story or experience. It was very strange experience.

-Software. I have little experience of other manufacturers software, but I found the Hisense to be quick, stable and intuitive. No issues here.

Customer Service - Excellent. Two calls to tech support over 3 months, second call after sending them vids of the performance they immediately authorised a return. Zero complaints here.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
U8B or Samsung RU8000 are the cheapest options that offer good contrast and good motion. In 55” only though.

Dodgexander

Sounds like the U7B can't do movie frame rate over HDMI or internal apps which, I guess is not a big surprise since it uses a 60hz panel. Many TVs are like this, Samsung's especially.

Most motion problems you were probably having were probably a result of 3:2 pulldown being handled poorly, when you connect a computer, provided you are sending the TV 60hz the pulldown instead will be handled by the computer, it may well have been the computers processing was better.

To avoid any need of pulldown to begin with as already advised, aim for a TV with a 120hz panel like the Hisense U8B or Samsung RU8000, both TVs pretty overpriced right now (but so is the U7B). But they are looking like the best buy models in 2019-20..so far anyway.

To get the very best motion (eg better than those too) you either have to take a step down in the respect of blacks, contrast and screen uniformity and go for a TV with an IPS panel like Sony's XG83 or higher series or pay a lot more for their XF9005/XG9005/XG9505 depending on size and availability. Those Sony models are 120hz panels but with their motion processing which is constantly lauded as being the best compared to others.

You could also look at TVs with 60hz panels from Panasonic and Sony which may fair a bit better than the Hisense but don't expect much from these compared to 120hz panelled TV's and expect to make some sacrifices with panel types (if you don't want an IPS type panel) or price (in the case of the Panasonic GX800.)

mascotzel

Standard Member
Is there any way I can test to see how the issue mentioned manifests?
I have the same TV that I bought for someone.
I only have access to online content.

I've compared it to my Samsung 49NU8000.
Samsung has smoother motion processing.

I have a few questions.

The color palette is quite different, The HiSense is brighter on default. Is this a setting issue or it's just difference between panels/models?

Also, comparing the Matrix lobby scene, on Samsung the blacks look ok, video quality ok (being just HD). On HiSense the blacks are grey, but the main issue is that the video looks quite pixelated, I can easily see the squares ( 4k content looks similar). Is this an upscaling issue with the HiSense?

And, the halo effect. You can see it in the video, when the title "The Hunt" appears, compared to the Samsung. What does that tell me?
shorturl.at/equKN

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Is there any way I can test to see how the issue mentioned manifests?
I only have access to online content.
Find a video with a frame rate of 50fps and make sure your computer is sending the TV 50hz and not 60hz and see how the motion compares.

Then send the TV 24hz and play content filmed at 24fps like a film.

Then send the TV 60hz and play both content, both the film and the 50fps file, if you notice that motion is better when you are sending the TV the correct frame rate (steps 1, 2) compared to not (step 3) then you know the problem with motion on the Hisense is built in apps or due to its 60hz panel and poor 3:2 pulldown.

I've compared it to my Samsung 49NU8000.
Samsung has smoother motion processing.
It still, like the Hisense uses a 60hz panel, although being a Samsung panel its response time may be better than the Hisense resulting in better motion.
The color palette is quite different, The HiSense is brighter on default. Is this a setting issue or it's just difference between panels/models?
See: Picture Perfect TV setup guide you should be testing with at least basic settings correctly calibrated, make sure you use the movie or film preset.

Also, if the content you are testing is HDR, do not expect much at all from the Hisense in this department, it is by no means a capable HDR TV and with no local dimming it will display HDR very poorly.
Also, comparing the Matrix lobby scene, on Samsung the blacks look ok, video quality ok (being just HD). On HiSense the blacks are grey, but the main issue is that the video looks quite pixelated, I can easily see the squares ( 4k content looks similar). Is this an upscaling issue with the HiSense?

And, the halo effect. You can see it in the video, when the title "The Hunt" appears, compared to the Samsung. What does that tell me?
shorturl.at/equKN
It looks to me like the settings on the Hisense are way off the mark, either that or the clip is playing back in HDR. The Samsung has very basic local dimming which will help a little to make dark scenes look better, but it shouldn't be so apparent.

mascotzel

Standard Member
No way to check those things now, the TV was for a friend.
The clip was an HD documentary from Netflix, just to check if the same issue form Youtube HD (pixelation) occurs.
It didn't, but the halo circles were unpleasant.

I was kind of disappointed with the TV. I went for it because it was on sale and the friend wanted 55 ( although they actually replaced a 50", but didn't know it was 50"). The HiSense 50U7A had nicer image ( they were both on display) and a better price.

Dodgexander

A lot of the BBC documentaries are available on Netflix in HDR if you have a premium plan, may explain why it looked worse on Netflix compared to Youtube. If watching HDR on the Hisense, it will look very bad because the TV is not equipped with the hardware needed to display it to a good standard...namely the backlight being on full when the TV cannot control the light output...that is just part of HDR and will be apparent on any TV that does not have the hardware to display HDR to a good standard.

Basic calibration on the Hisense would need to be done too, the TV needs to be in its movie mode, otherwise the picture quality will be too bright and overblown. Its impossible to compare TVs side by side unless they are both set up correctly. No idea if you spent the time to change settings to the correct values or if you had been using the standard preset.

Aside from that, difference in that particular logo would have been down to the Samsung having some local dimming whilst the Hisense has little, it is not short of the torture test they often use to measure local dimming on a TV so when you look at it that way, its not surprising to see those halos.

The U7A is not the natural predecessor for the U7B, the U8B is closer in spec. Its common for manufacturers one year to release a lower spec model with similar naming scheme to make it look like you get a better deal by getting the newer model, not always the case. The 55" U7A would have been a better buy if you could have found one still as it uses a 120hz panel and will have better motion.

The new U8B should be better too, it both carries over the 120hz panel from the U7A from last year and has slightly better (although not fantastic) HDR capabilities.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
I’ll have a look later, but believe the bbc docs are 4K only and lack hdr on Netflix. Only discs have hdr.

Dodgexander

I’ll have a look later, but believe the bbc docs are 4K only and lack hdr on Netflix. Only discs have hdr.
Then its just a case of poorer dimming then, either that or a problem with setup or the Hisense netflix app.

mascotzel

Standard Member
A lot of the BBC documentaries are available on Netflix in HDR if you have a premium plan, may explain why it looked worse on Netflix compared to Youtube. If watching HDR on the Hisense, it will look very bad because the TV is not equipped with the hardware needed to display it to a good standard...namely the backlight being on full when the TV cannot control the light output...that is just part of HDR and will be apparent on any TV that does not have the hardware to display HDR to a good standard.

Basic calibration on the Hisense would need to be done too, the TV needs to be in its movie mode, otherwise the picture quality will be too bright and overblown. Its impossible to compare TVs side by side unless they are both set up correctly. No idea if you spent the time to change settings to the correct values or if you had been using the standard preset.

Aside from that, difference in that particular logo would have been down to the Samsung having some local dimming whilst the Hisense has little, it is not short of the torture test they often use to measure local dimming on a TV so when you look at it that way, its not surprising to see those halos.

The U7A is not the natural predecessor for the U7B, the U8B is closer in spec. Its common for manufacturers one year to release a lower spec model with similar naming scheme to make it look like you get a better deal by getting the newer model, not always the case. The 55" U7A would have been a better buy if you could have found one still as it uses a 120hz panel and will have better motion.

The new U8B should be better too, it both carries over the 120hz panel from the U7A from last year and has slightly better (although not fantastic) HDR capabilities.

U8B is too expensive, as the TV is a gift for someone, limited budget.
H55U7A was not an option, H50U7A was, even if the panel was not 120Hz
It was about £120 cheaper, and my first choices were 50" TV's, LG or HiSense VA panels
But the person I bought it for told me that it's replacing a 55 ( it was actually a 50" TV), and one that was a cheap Vestel TV I think (Hitachi maybe)

The Netflix video was just HD, no 4k or HDR and mostly looked ok compared
The Youtube HD video (Matrix lobby scene) looked poor and pixelated compared to the Samsung 49".

Unfortunately, waiting until Black Friday was not an option, fortunately, Costco accepts returns, so I can keep an eye for better deals.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom