Returnal Review & Comments

Thanks very much for this review. This looks gorgeous in terms of style and AV quality, but I can’t help but feel that games like this seem to be aimed at one particular hardcore group of gamers - which is fine in itself - but then it resolutely refuses to be accessible to the huge amount of gamers that don’t have the skills or endless time to play through it. Quite the gamble for Sony at £70 without a franchise behind it like Dark Souls for instance, which is very well established in terms of the kind of game you’re getting into.

I dearly hope a patch arrives that does allow saves / checkpoints for gamers like me in an alternate mode, because then I’ll be well up for it. And they can absolutely keep the rock hard difficulty standard for people who enjoy that kind of challenge.

Last edited:
The lack of checkpoints in the run is absolutely mind boggling to me.
I understand a run can be a couple of hours or more. There is no way I have time to play in guaranteed 2 hour chunks.

It's so silly. You can maintain a specific and high level of challenge within the gameplay and not punish people simply because they have other stuff going on in their life.

It's such a bogus "ReAl GaMeR" move.

Agreed with the above. For a “busy” gamer this is way off my list. Even if they introduce a save feature it wont be enough given progress etc is wiped. Checkpoints would be ideal. Im all for souls like games but never roguelikes.

Agreed with the above. For a “busy” gamer this is way off my list. Even if they introduce a save feature it wont be enough given progress etc is wiped. Checkpoints would be ideal. Im all for souls like games but never roguelikes.
I quite like roguelikes. Hades was easily my favourite game of last year and I have ploughed hours and hours into it. I must be into hundreds of runs and getting a good build is a total roll of the dice so when you have a good thing going you really get hooked. But guess what? You turn off the Switch and when you turn it back on you are in exactly the same place. It's not an identical situation, but it's really not hard.

They could have simply had two modes, normal and a hardcore or “rogue” mode. On normal it checkpoints when you reach a new level, maintaining some of the challenge but being fair, and on hardcore no checkpoints as it is now but you can still save mid-run and come back later. That way everyone would be happy.

How do you get a TV for a ps5 that CAN'T do 60hz?
Have you not played Astro?
That had superb dualsense implementation at launch.

Anyway, as much as I enjoyed isaac I don't think I could cope with a game where after a couple of play you die and you start again.
Isaac is different in that respect where most runs are 30-50 minutes depending on the path (not including repentance dlc) and the items you unlock can make the game much easier.
I know this has a couple of similar features but the fact that a run could take three hours and there's no way to save is ridiculous.
Really?

I was intending to buy it a few months down the line when it's cheaper, not sure I'll bother at all now. The more I hear about it, the less I want to play it. Despite a few patches already it's still prone to crashing apparently and wiping out your progress as well.

Not had any crashes at all, apart from numerous ones in my ship after my numerous deaths!

For all those moaning about not having the time etc - you have Rest mode just like the PS4 has.
Also, if the game updates while in rest, you lose your run.

It's not moaning, it's a simple expectation that a modern game implement a quality-of-life feature that has been standard since 1981.

Also, if the game updates while in rest, you lose your run.

It's not moaning, it's a simple expectation that a modern game implement a quality-of-life feature that has been standard since 1981.
I always update my games manually - so no issue here for me.

Its clearly not a game for you, the game is what it is.

...the game is what it is.
Yes, and what it is ... is a decent game that clearly needs a save option!

Housemarque have said as much last week with their recent 'We hear the community' update around the issue.

It's not a rogue-like feature, it was an oversight.
Hades, Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon - they all have quit/save options.

Last edited:
For all those moaning about not having the time etc - you have Rest mode just like the PS4 has.
Rest mode isn't a reliable option though and it's poor design if you have to rely on it IMO.

If they could enable just a few save areas it would make a huge difference to this game for the average player ..example at the start of Biome 2 &3 so you can do a little character building in Biome 1 each run with the benefit of knowing you have a save point coming up.

Once you die in Biome 2/3 it takes you back to that save point at the start of the Biome rather than back to the ship and ground zero every single time!

It may sound a bit of a cop out to some, but if the majority never get to the end of the game, then surely that isn’t a good thing for us or the developer?

'We hear the community' update around the issue.
This was a bit of a cryptic one. Because they also said "no plans...enjoy it as it is." which could be a placeholder for 'the feature is being developed' or it could be a 'thanks for your feedback but the game is done.'

I've not got an issue with the return to crash point on death. That's part of the game's mechanics.
You die, you start again a little more experienced.
But a return to the start really should JUST be for a death.

I get that it may be a design choice from the developers, but it seems like they could be doing themselves out some sales by not including a really straightforward way for more people to enjoy it without altering the actual challenge level. A simple 'delete save on reload' would prevent the vast majority of people from save-scumming if that's what they're trying to avoid.

I don't think anyone is really asking for a quicksave or a multiple save slot feature. Just something that lets us play without worrying that we absolutely have to set aside hours of the day.

As it stands, it's a really great game with a design flaw that pretty much guarantees I won't play it.

This was a bit of a cryptic one. Because they also said "no plans...enjoy it as it is." which could be a placeholder for 'the feature is being developed' or it could be a 'thanks for your feedback but the game is done.'

I've not got an issue with the return to crash point on death. That's part of the game's mechanics.
You die, you start again a little more experienced.
But a return to the start really should JUST be for a death.

I get that it may be a design choice from the developers, but it seems like they could be doing themselves out some sales by not including a really straightforward way for more people to enjoy it without altering the actual challenge level. A simple 'delete save on reload' would prevent the vast majority of people from save-scumming if that's what they're trying to avoid.

I don't think anyone is really asking for a quicksave or a multiple save slot feature. Just something that lets us play without worrying that we absolutely have to set aside hours of the day.

As it stands, it's a really great game with a design flaw that pretty much guarantees I won't play it.
I suspect Housemarque may be 'encouraged' by Sony to implement the quit/save option whether they want to or not!

It's getting a heck of a lot of negative press purely because of the save issue - and will definitely be affecting sales on what is, after all, the only PS5 exclusive Sony have had in 2021.

Was tempted by this, but now I know more it's not a game style which will suit me.

Crazy as with a save option or check point the same as pretty much every other game has I would have purchased.

Could have been a top seller.

That is an appallingly bad option to use as a save point
I always update my games manually - so no issue here for me.

Its clearly not a game for you, the game is what it is.
And people quite clearly have an issue with it and they legitimately have a right to raise their concerns about it rather than just go "oh it's just the game that it is"

If a company loses sales over something as simple as not having even an optional save system, then they need to take heed. Ignoring complaints about this is not doing the game an injustice.

Things have moved on since Viewpoint.

How much!!?!

Sorry, is it just me being a tightarse?
I think I'll be waiting for a sale on this one ta.

Could this thread maybe be merged with the pre-existing Returnal thread?

I guess the developers take on justifying the price is the longevity with no checkpoints etc. Maybe the game would be much shorter with them and so wouldnt justify £70?

How much!!?!

Sorry, is it just me being a tightarse?
I think I'll be waiting for a sale on this one ta.
You're not alone, I refuse to pay that much as well so am patiently waiting for a drop or will get it 2nd hand in a few weeks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom