1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return of the 9986 Buzz

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by simonn5, Feb 17, 2005.

1. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knew it was too good to be true. After having exchanged my last screen due to the contrast buzz issue and an uneven backlight I find that my replacement v2.0 screen also has the dreaded contrast buzz below a contrast setting of 97 :(

Interestingly this is a very different buzz to that on my previous screen which came from the top of the screen and was quite high pitched. The new buzz is much lower in tone and is coming from approx the middle of the right hand side.

I will see whether I can live with the noise over the next couple of days as at least this screen has no dead pixels and the backlight is perfect. As someone has already mentioned on the forum its clearly not right that customers paying these sort of prices have to play russian roulette with QC issues!

2. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry m8 i know how you feel :( . mines off to be repaired on monday after having 2 buzzers i feel this is my best chance for one that doesnt.

3. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hunter,

Do you know exactly what it is that they are going to repair? Is this Philips or the retailer?

4. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know what they have to repair yet. This is philips or a subcontractor they use for repairs they are called 'philips flat panels' or something like that and so far seem pretty much on the ball. e.g quick to ring and arrange stuff for you.

5. Warp

Warp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    guys

can you confirm that this buzz is not related to the ambilight.......i.e. if the ambilight is off then the buzzing is still there?

6. simonn5

simonn5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never use the ambilight as the screen is placed in a bay window and I don't fancy advertising it to Mr Chav.

There are a few of us on here who have the buzzing problem and it is definitely linked the contrast setting. The nearest I can compare it to is the noise you get when you turn down a light dimmer only louder e.g. the noise changes in pitch and loudness as you increase/decrease contrast