• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Retune Problem.. *another one!*

big_fella_andy

Standard Member
Hey, I've got a 32 inch Samsung.. well, it's actually my dads now.
anyways. Last night he tried viewing channel 5, and it told him he had to do the retune...

Anyways. I retuned it.. and i found 62 channels... (but i know theys more than 90 channels / services available)
so i checked... and BBC 1 and 2 were missing, with a few of the higher end channels...

then i retuned... and this time found 32 services.

tried again. finding 69 services.. The most i've found was 88, but dave was missing.. (normally channel 11 i believe)

I've tried moving the TV downstairs to do this retune (the Downstairs TV picked up all channels fine)

And i had the same problem again. the TV can find all channels... but it's just not finding them all together!

Any sugestions on what to try for this? I'm going to have one more try, then do a factory reset, then try again... any sugestions on what else to try?

thanks
Andy

*edit* retune resulted in me finding only 32 channels :(

another detailed Edit explaining more...

I've just been watching it...

And... It finds 32 channels between - and 70% of the scan... then it finds nothing more...

and on the next scan... it will get to 70% finding nothing... then between 70 - 100% it finds 59 channels...

but it won't find 91 chanels from 0 - 100, it's only doing it in each half! It stops at random percentages... (where the channels are) like it knows their there.. but it just isn't finding them :(

Last edited:

ROYOLD

You could try a manual scan of the six main channels from your designated transmitter.

These main channels supply the six multiplexes and you scan each main channel in turn therefore you need to know which transmitter you are receiving freeview from.

Welcome page | ukfree.tv - independent digital TV + switchover advice, since 2002

To ensure that you start off with a tuner cleared of all previous data first remove the aerial and do a full scan on autotune. It should find NO channels. Then replace the aerial co-ax plug and do a manual scan of individual channels as mentioned above.

Before you do any of this you could check to see if your missing channels are listed in the 800 range. This would indicate that your aerial is picking up freeview channels from more than one transmitter.

hottentot

I showed a ninety year old lady how to rescan her Samsung last Tuesday, (I couldn't go there on the Wednesday). We practised a scan four times and made notes till she knew exactly what to do.

On Wednesday afternoon she phoned to say she had done it and got channel 5 but not BBC 1 and a string of others. I returned on Saturday thinking I might have to do a factory reset but when I got there found the set was stuck on ITV 2 and none of the numeric buttons worked. Worse is that the D. Menu button does nothing too so I cannot get at the reset function.

No amount of button pushing would improve matters so I had to settle on analogue only. Even with that the the numeric buttons don't work. The screen responds with the requested channel number but doesn't change the channel.

A web search shows I am not alone with this. Does anyone know how to reset a Samsung when the D. Menu button is inoperative?

Gavtech

Administrator
I showed a ninety year old lady how to rescan her Samsung last Tuesday, (I couldn't go there on the Wednesday). We practised a scan four times and made notes till she knew exactly what to do.

On Wednesday afternoon she phoned to say she had done it and got channel 5 but not BBC 1 and a string of others. I returned on Saturday thinking I might have to do a factory reset but when I got there found the set was stuck on ITV 2 and none of the numeric buttons worked. Worse is that the D. Menu button does nothing too so I cannot get at the reset function.

No amount of button pushing would improve matters so I had to settle on analogue only. Even with that the the numeric buttons don't work. The screen responds with the requested channel number but doesn't change the channel.

A web search shows I am not alone with this. Does anyone know how to reset a Samsung when the D. Menu button is inoperative?

If you are unable to do a factory reset, try a power reset. [ Disconnect from mains for 10 minutes ]

hottentot

Thanks, but it was left unplugged from the mains overnight Saturday to Sunday and it is still the same, stuck on ITV2. None of the digital buttons being responded to.

hottentot

Ahh, just what I was looking for, the service menu. :)

Only problem is I'm not very popular with the old lady now, it's all my fault apparently. My guess is she did something unnecessary while the scan was in progress and the fragile Samsung software screwed up.

A friend who lives close to Crystal Palace found (long before retune day) the same set (32" screen instead of 26) would only pick up a 'half' the channels from each Mux. All muxes were present but not all the programmes they carried. A further rescan would do the same except the selection of channels changed. This was repeatable, scan 1 gave one choice of programmes, scan 2 another, scan 3 same as scan 1 etc.

Thinking it might be overload as CP can be seen from the window I took the set to my home in a fringe area. It did exactly the same thing, so the set had to be passed on to a Virgin cable user. I'm a little suspicious of Samsung's DTV tuners. :)

Thanks Adrian.

hottentot

I wasn't able to attend to the old lady's Samsung until today. I used the Info/Menu/Mute/On trick to get to the service menu but pressing Ok on Reset did nothing.

I rang Samsung's helpline and they said 1) that leaving the set off for ten minutes or two days achieves nothing and 2) that the Reset requires a right arrow press and not the OK. After that all was well. :clap:

I must say the Samsung guy (Manny) was extraordinarily pleasant and helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom