Retrofitting a Grafik Eye

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by steveabdn30, Dec 25, 2011.

1. steveabdn30

steveabdn30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at retrofitting a Grafik Eye for my living room / dining room and wondered about the wiring - is it simply a case of pulling the existing wires out for the PELV Lutron wiring or does it require something more complicated??

Just looking to weight up the rewiring work against say a Rako install

Cheers

2. LightBrigade

LightBrigade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

The lighting circuits need to be wired radially from the Grafik Eye. The Lutron cable is only required if you want to interconnect Grafik Eyes or wire keypads to a Grafik Eye. You could get away with cat5 (I didn't say that).

Having to rewire mains is the big disadvantage of all wired lighting control systems because they work on centralised control. Distributed wireless control - e.g. Rako - wins in this respect.

The Grafik QS can also do shade control out of the box, which may be something to consider if you are pulling wires around a living room/dining room. The engravable seeTouch keypads and Grafik QS buttons are very nice compared to some of the alternatives. There are a lot of featues in a single unit, and I would suggest having a good look at the brochure and spec.

3. steveabdn30

steveabdn30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice, I personally think the Lutron system is far easier on the eyes than the Rako anyway so I'd rather do more work to install the Lutron than put in the Rako

I'm putting a sun lounge on the back of the house this year and want to install a Lutron system in there, it backs onto the kitchen so pulling those cables shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

So it's a case of pulling all the power cables back to the Grafik eye which should be easy enough, might be a wee bit more cable needed than if I was doing it from scratch but I will be able to pull everything back to a single point using the existing wires as draw wires.

For 2 way switching its a case of pulling 1 supply wire to the light to be controlled and a cat5 between the Grafik Eyeand the wall station?

It is going to a bit of a chew but I'm sure i can manage all that using the existing wiring to pull new cables and as I say although it's not going to be the most efficient uses of cable but it saves me banging holes in the walls

4. LightBrigade

LightBrigade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If by two way switching you mean in the conventional sense, this doesn't really apply to controlled lighting.

The load (light fitting) is connected directly to the supply (Grafik Eye). Any wall stations are connected to the Grafik Eye by low voltage cable. The wall station or Grafik Eye buttons are used to issue commands to the Grafik Eye which will then respond as programmed. Any button press from any wallstation can activate any or all connected loads.

Inputs can also be applied via sensors if you wanted to extend the system to areas where occupancy detection is particularly useful. Entrance/exits/corridors/bathrooms etc.

5. steveabdn30

steveabdn30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I wasn't very clear there, I will be replacing 2 way switching so I'm thinking I will just replace those switches with wall stations and allow control from as many places as possible as I said in the last reply I will be pulling the supply to the lighting itself and control cabling between the GE and the wall stations

Thanks for your info light brigade, appreciate your help

6. LightBrigade

LightBrigade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    That sounds good. Clearly you understand. Although there are other models available, I would go for the QS. Its the latest product and has an excellent feature set.

Cheers

7. steveabdn30

steveabdn30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have it pretty firm in my head what I was needing to do but there's never any harm in checking with people who actually know!

I think the QS would be over specification to be honest with you, I wouldntbe using it to control the blinds just the lighting. I'm quite interested in being able to control the heating remotely but that's about it other than lighting. Any ideas what the differences between the 3100 and the QS are?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

8. LightBrigade

LightBrigade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Quite a few differences.

Built in astro timeclock (expensive extra on the 3000), seeTouch keypads, wireless support, shade support (optional - don't pay for it if you don't need it), one onboard contact closure input, more presets, more scalable, energy saving display.

There is an online visualiser here, that shows all the colour and zone options interactively

https://grafikqsdesigntool.lutron.com/

Plus you can call the UK office and they will answer questions about products and differences.

Hope that helps

9. steveabdn30

steveabdn30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More good info! Definitely interested by the QS, I'm going to be controlling things in the sun lounge mainly with a Pronto 9200

Might be quite tempting to put in an occupancy sensor to go with the astro clock, that would be awesome to open the doors in the dark and have the lights come on like a fridge!!

Once again Light Brigade your info has been spot on

10. LightBrigade

LightBrigade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No problem. Remember, its an astro timeclock. So in addition to knowing the time of day, it knows when sunset and sunrise is all year round. Just plug in your long/lat.

So you could for example set a scene that kicks in M-F, 15 minutes after sunset that warms up zones 2,5,6 to 40% slowly (say 10 minutes) and a different scene Sat, Sun but also making use of sunset. Perhaps also automatically turning everything off (sloooowly, say over 10 minutes or longer) from midnight (thats making use of time of day)

You could combine this with occupancy to bump the level to say 75% on movement detection (selectable fade rate) for a set period and drop back to 40% after a set period. This is a typical Homeworks type function - good for outside / approach lighting, corridors etc. but now possible with the Grafik QS. You can't easily do this with a conventional Grafik Eye.

Software is freely available on the Lutron website, so you can download and have a look at the functionality. Its pretty intuitive.

Software Downloads

11. steveabdn30

steveabdn30
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again thanks for the info, these boards are a mine of information! Having looked at the QS I do think it may be just a bit of overkill, tempted to put in 2 x 6 zone 3100 GE's for my downstairs, the sun lounge because the entrance is through the kitchen I just need to wire the kitchen back to the sun lounge and put 2 x wall stations in the kitchen, that way I have a wall station at the entrance of the sun lounge with the IR remote to select the scenes in the sun lounge itself.

I think I could get too fancy about this for what I need, I'm always tempted by bells and whistles buti need to be realistic about the stuff I would actually use

Cheers for helping me through the options