1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

retrodata 808s

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by odskaggs2, Jun 14, 2004.

1. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help. I just got a retro 808s and I can't get a picture on any source. The adjust menu and converg work fine. Briefly yesterday my pc desktop did pop on but went away again after I tried doing a rough convergence. 2 LEDs are on (Main PWR, Stndby) a 3rd LED blinks rapidly (Processor cycles)
    ANy suggestions on what I need to look for?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds like a sync issue. for the PC.
    You have no block match light up which means the projector cannot find a source.
    I'll bet if you hit the text button on then off you will get "No source found"
    Does it find the first DOS check screen and lock up to 800x600?

Try just composite video on input 1 to start with check that you don't have another problem. (PC will be on source 5 BTW)

You have an awsume rearpro unit there. A liquid coupled 808, 54" wide, screen gain of about 4. Leave the cutains open and the lights on!

3. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.
    I think I made some progress. If I pull out the convergence tray my video sources will start working. Does this mean the convergence tray needs replaced or is there something else I can check ? As soon as I plug the tray back in I lose all video sources again.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You are not doing that convergence in out with the projector running are you?
    This is really strange as no signal processing is done by the convergence board. It will be forced into scan fail if the image is set too big or one of the boards is bad. but that's not happening because you can get the internal pattern up.
    Have you tried composite video?

5. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No way man. I turn the retro off before I remove the convergence tray. It is very repeatable though. WIth the tray in sometimes I get video signals for awhile then the screen just goes blank regardless of which source I use. If I remove the convergence tray I get video every time. Maybe something on the tray is over heating? I read a post that the STKs might over-heat but all 4 are very cool every time I check. As a matter of fact I'm surprised that given their size and the size of the heatsinks they are attached to that they aren't at least warm. Any ideas what I should try next

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry to be pedantic but, with the Conv board in you get no picture but can still access the menu?
    I'm sure you have done it already but check all the little yellow connectors.Also check for bent pins on thye main connector.
    Failing that I'm stumped a faulty Conv board will normally shut the eht down to prevent damage.

7. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me clarify just a bit. With any source connected I may get video for awhile say 20 minutes then the screen will go dark and won't come back. If I remove the converg tray then any source will work again and doesn't go out.
    Let's say I'm using source 2 and all of the sudden the screen goes dark. If I try to get into the service menu nothing happens it still stays dark, however if I select say source 4 with nothing attached I'll get a source not found error but then the service menu will work. Now I can play with the setup menus but as soon as I choose source 2 again the picture remains dark until I pull the convergence tray.

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This truely is a wierd one.
    When you use the word "dark" do you mean no picture at all or just dim?

I'm getting confused by some of your answers so forgive me if we are going over old ground here.

Run the projector from cold untill you lose the picture.
    Then without touching any buttons or switches please can you answer the following.
    1. Is the mains indicator light on the back red or green?
    2. Are the fans still running?
    3. Looking at the diagnostic lights (row of about 10 green or red) next to the main power supply. Which ones are off or red?
    4. The EHT module is situated at the back of all the other boards,it is black and has white writing on it. It will be attached to the chassis by two slotted chrome screws. Look through the holes on that board can you see a red LED on?
    5. When the picture does it's 20 min going off Does it fade away or reduce in size?

Make sure you have text switched on in case the projector can give warnings of failures (rare with the picture going off, but worth a try)

This may be worth a go too.
    Go to the random access menu and select an internal pattern say 31Khz. exit all the way out of the menu untill you have just the cross hatch on the screen. Now reduce particularly the contrast but also the brightness so that you have a grid but it is not shouting at you. Leave that running and see if the image shuts down (couple of hours at low settings will not burn the tubes).

9. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help Roland. I'm at work but tonight I'll follow your directions and see what I can report back. I happened to be looking in the tubes one of the times it lost the picture. The picture appeared to flicker a couple of times like it couldn't sync or something then went dark. The red tube stays on very dim(can barely see it on the screen but visible in the crt) with some diagonal lines but no picture

10. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fans stay on but I'm not sure the fan in the convergence tray comes on.
    It's hard to get at so I put a piece of paper in the blades hoping it would make a whirring noise to confirm operation. However I heard no noise during operation from the paper so I pulled the tray and the paper was still in place.
    Is this a temp operated fan or should it be on all the time during operation

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    odskaggs
    I am trying to help. but I need the answers to the above as they will help me understand what is going on with your projector.
    All the fans are linked so they will run together.
    If one fails you will get a very distict warning on screen (with the text on) and yes the projector will shut down.

PLEASE can you read my post, follow it and give me the answers then I can help. If you can't do that then you are on your own. :lease:

Husband asks wife "would you like a drink?"
    Wife replies "the rubish needs taking out"
    10mins later, wife asks "where's my drink"

12. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that Roland was just trying to post info as I was getting it.
    Here are the answers to your questions
    1 The mains indicator is green
    2 The fans are still running
    3 The following leds are on STDBY,MAIN PWR,PROCESSOR CYCLES(flickers)BLOCK MATCH all others are off
    4 I did not see a red light on the EHT module
    5 The picture doesn't fade or reduce in size from what I can tell it just instantly goes dark

After performing your tests I looked closely at the CRTs. The red is lit but very dim and no source image. The blue and green have small glows at the bottom very dim looks like the sun coming up over the horizon. Also by mistake I disconnected my source cable during this mode. After the cable came loose three seconds later all 3 CRTs flashed extremely bright(like a camera) Then the source not available message appeared and went away.Reconnecting the source appeared to have no effect. The only other thing I've witnessed is that during this fault mode, small areas will sometimes appear filled with colored static(about the size of one of the convergence blocks)

13. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hey thanks for that.
    right the projector is not shutting down which is good news.
    Shame you didn't get to try the internal pattern test.
    This still sounds like some sort of screen saver or sync loss to me.
    After the screen goes blank press the text button. If you still get the H+V readings then you projector is being given a sync but no picture.
    Have you tried just a straight video into the projector?
    Does it do the same thing?
    If so conect a video signal into the Green input an select input 4 on your remote. You will get a green picture but does it loose picture?

14. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 OK I did leave the internal cross hatch up and it never went down
    2 I pushed the text button after I lost the picture and nothing happens
    3 Once it loses picture switching to any connected source does not work. S-Video RGB and Video all remain dark and nothing happens when I push the text button or adjust button on any connected source. If however it loses the picture then I switch to an unconnected source I am then able to use the text button and adjust button
    4 Yes the straight video does the same thing. I used video as a source until the picture went dark then I plugged the video into the RGB(green) and nothing happened when I switched to that source except for source not found message.

Roland I really do appreciate the help. Luckily I have a nice Sony TV that I use but I'd love to be able switch over to this retro

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ok I'm fairly happy you have a bad RGB switcher card.
    Follow the yellow bunch of leads from the controller board (black box with the red LEDs viable) one bunch will snake accross the top of the 10 modules that sit like a bunch of PC cards.
    It attaches to the RGB switcher card.
    On that card check all the yellow leads are home and have not come loose. Also reseat the card incase you have a bad connection.
    Incedenttly that card has a bunch of green LEDS that tell you what mode it is in. you should be able to see the writing with it in situ. when the screen goes off does the green light go too?

16. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, when the picture was on ,with video as the source,the video LED was lit on the RGB switcher card. It stayed lit after the picture went dark and the block match LED was on. I powered down the unit and restarted it. The picture remained dark.This is typical after losing the picture it usually doesn't get a picture again until it feels like it.
    Upon restart the video LED was still lit(but no picture) however the block match LED was off. So it seems the block match LED lights when the picture works and stays lit after I lose the picture. After losing the picture though the block match LED doesn't light upon reset. The only way to get a picture now is to pull the convergence tray and/or if I reset all cards and cables that sometimes gets the picture back too.
    Thought that might be helpful information

17. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How are you restarting the projector?
    I'm still still with the RGB card

18. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To restart I hit the standby button, then I turn off the mains button then pull the plug

19. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello,

I dont know if this helps but I had similar symptoms with my 708 as posted in the thread below:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96867&referrerid=5831

It turned out (as well as being an intermittent fault) that a solder had cracked on the input board.

I may be wrong in your case (as I'm not a pro like the rest of these fellas), but replacing the board solved the issue instantly.

Good luck

20. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that PFM. Think I'll take the board out and have a really close look.
    Any idea where I get one of these boards off hand ?

21. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've got loads fire me an email

22. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland did you get my email ? I'd like to get one of these boards. thanks

23. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes got your email and sent a reply.
    As you are in the USA I have suggested a contact that will save on shipping costs.
    Please keep us up to date on what happens

24. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland
    Sorry but I didn't get the email. Could you send the contact name again I have another email account eztheater@eztheater.com maybe that one will work.
    Thanks

25. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You have mail :thumbsup:

26. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Roland. It's been awhile(building a house)but I took your advice and replaced the RGB switcher board. Sadly this doesn't seem to have helped.(or my replacement board is toast) The internal menus come up fine without a source connected and seem quite stable. If I connect any source to any input the tubes go dim after a minute or two and the TEXT or ADJUST don't seem to work anymore. Now when it's in this state I did notice something. If I watch the dark screen long enough occassionally I'll see very small radom areas that try to light up. At first I thought this was random static or video noise. However I noticed I could see some of the BARCO text in these small areas when they would flicker on. One other thing I observed. The molex connector that you change for 120v or 230v had a burn mark on it. I replaced a jumper wire in this as it had a burn mark also. The unit powers up fine but not sure why a burn mark is present.
    Thanks for any help
    Dave S.

27. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland I stand corrected. You were right it was the RGB switcher card. After thinking about it for awhile I adjusted the G2 settings. They were turned way too low. So it was both the card and the G2 settings. I'm watching a DVD on it as I type.
    This weekend I'll try getting better at the whole converg procedure.
    Thanks a million.

28. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Glad it worked out for ya

Enjoy your Barco!!

Kindest regards

29. odskaggs2

odskaggs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah
    Now the fun really starts. I've seen so many fantastic looking images from barco 808s that I won't be able to rest until mine looks at least half as good.
    Thanks for all the help guys.