1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'retro' TV q - Thomson 28ws23u vs Panasonic 4:3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bascombe, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

just looking for peoples opinions - I currently have a 4:3 Panasonic TX25X1, a pretty old TV the family has had kicking around for about 10 years. I'm the current owner, and its done me proud for the past 5/6 years. My mum upgraded to ws a while ago, to a Thomson 28ws23u, and shes recently upgraded again. When she got in contact with the people she was renting the Thomson from and asked them to take it away, they offered it to her for half the rent shes paying - £8 a month.

Now, I'd love a w/s tv, and would be prepared to take on paying out £8 a month. But I've no idea how the Thomson looks with dvd/gamecube. If i swap it for the panasonic, will it be a case of having widescreen, but a poorer pic quality generally? What are peoples experiences of the THomson set, or thomson generally. I know theyre both old sets, but if anyone has relevant experiences I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers,

Bascombe

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    £8x12 is £96 a year. New widescreens are available for £200 upwards. If they were flogging the set ex-rental it would probably sell for £100. Personally I wouldn't rent it. I might offer them £100 and expect a 3 month guarantee with it though if its a nice set.

3. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hhmmm, that makes sense. Have to say, if I was forking over £100 for a set, I'd rather hold out for the distant point in the future when a tx28ps12 is in reach! After sitting thru raiders of the lost ark and temple of doom this evening, I think I can definitely live with the current set a bit longer :)

Cheers

Bascombe