1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro re-hash.

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by ramseyculdesac, Aug 1, 2003.

1. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone buy these re-makes of old games such as space invaders and super monkey ball, which manafacturers keep making for new consoles and phones? I personally like owning the originals , perhaps for that feel of nostalgia.

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Personally I don't see why anyone needs any of these fancy computer things anyway. Lets stick to board games. In fact even that is too 'modern' - it's a hand made hula hoop or nothing.

:rolleyes:

3. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its nice to get up to date with things. Just dont know why they cant spend more time coming up with new innovative games rather than re hashing the old ones. Which we already know and love.

4. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its nice to get up to date with things. Just dont know why they cant spend more time coming up with new innovative games rather than re hashing the old ones. Which we already know and love.

5. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    It's hard to come up with innovative games for two reasons.

1) There is a finite level of innovation
    2) Innovation represents a financial risk when publishers can invest in safe sequels

And innovation is not the guarantee of a good game anyway. Some of the greatest games have been sequels or homages to other games.

For instance :
    - Grand Theft Auto : Vice City is the latest in a string of sequels
    - Half Life offers little innovation over the likes of Quake 2
    - Civilisation III is just a sequel
    - Championship Manager 4 is just a sequel

There is a lot to be said for the evolution of gaming. Take something good, and make it better.

I'm all for retro gaming - I'd LOVE to see a GBA cartridge with classic C64 games on like Wizball for instance. But I don't see the point in being misty eyed about it, and just because some game did a particular concept first doesn't automatically make it superior.

6. ramseyculdesac

ramseyculdesac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i get what you are saying. Its just when new gaming consoles come around, for example the n-gage, or someting which is allowing you to play games on a new format, i just wish they would try to come up with something new and fresh. Not just re do a version of say tony hawkes which you can play on anything, or old games such as super monkey ball. Make something new and interesting which makes us want to buy whatever it is they are selling.

7. PlasticTaff

PlasticTaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The games industry of late i believe have forgotten some basic concepts of the gaming universe.
    Firstly excellent graphics DO NOT make an excellent game!
    There will be those who will say that the potential of the modern next-gen consoles has to be pushed to the limitas the public want more realism more pixles more shaded polygons....but at what price.
    GAMEPLAY!!!!
    Thats the price us gamers have paid
    When games were games (in the 80's)the developers had very little to work with,the graphics weren't the best the sound was awful(till Rob Hubbard appeared)so the whole game was sold on the back of its gameplay.
    I've recently managed to find a revamped version of Head over Heels which I installed earlier today, and its the absolute dogs nuts.
    Its the playability,the gameplay...its what makes a game a great game.
    To digress a second its the same as films,everything is cgi, or other fx, there are very few films recently that stand out on the merit of script and acting alone!
    Anyhoots to blow my own trumpet i've got virtually all the consoles that were released in this country including the 3 new big hitters, the machines that get played most are my Neo Geo AES and my pc,only cos im running speccy and c64 emulator cos they just take too damn long to load! :)
    There's a section in the mag Games TM which have a superb dedicated retro section,one regular feature is"WHY DONT THEY REMAKE"...after playing HOH im tempted to dig out my old C++ manuals and have a go myself.
    LONG LIVE RETRO!