Retro PC Idea?

IamREB05

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey, I wanna build a pc (early to mid 2000s) I want the pc to run on Windows XP Professional x32. I have a couple of parts already such as dvd r/w drive, usb mouse & keyboard, monitor, ram, hard drive, power supply (700w) etc (I don't have a case yet.). I would like to know what gpu and cpu would be good. I wanna run games like halo, gta, doom, guitar hero 3. I also wanna do things like editing videos, browsing the web (Isolated network with no access to my home WiFi). Please write back with suggestions.

Maybe AMD Athlon Barton 2Ghz or 2.2Ghz model is circa 2004 and still 32-bit, after that AMD created x86 64-bit.

For GPU something like GeForce 6800 Ultra is also from 2004 and would run all those games quite well.

It's also possible to use theoldnet via proxy with web browser and that will reach into the way back machine archive.

Maybe AMD Athlon Barton 2Ghz or 2.2Ghz model is circa 2004 and still 32-bit, after that AMD created x86 64-bit.

For GPU something like GeForce 6800 Ultra is also from 2004 and would run all those games quite well.

It's also possible to use theoldnet via proxy with web browser and that will reach into the way back machine archive.
Thanks for the suggestion, I was actually thinking about getting the 6800 but didn't. The websites I am gonna access is mostly all modern sites. Hopefully I can get the Barton 2GHZ someday.

That hardware is on ebay shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of.

Modern web sites could be a problem though, there arent many up to date browsers that are still compatible with win xp that can render present day web sites. Otter browser still have a 32-bit winxp build you can try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom