1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Games - Any good memories?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Gordon, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Gordon

Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was telling a story today at work which made me remember my first ever games machine. It was a Vectrex. I had completely forgot about it and the memories came flooding back.

I thought that this was the best thing I had ever played. I was addicted to Scramble, Berzerk and the footy one (can't remember the exact name).

I had so much fun with this when I was a boy, it also reminds me of how great my dad was. He bought me this one day as a treat for being good. We used to go to our local Woolco and they had the Vectrex as a demo and every time I went into the shop, I ran for it and only left it alone when it was time to go home. Well one day my dad came home from work with it for me. I can't believe I ever forgot that day.

Anyway, have any of you guys got any good memories/stories of getting your first games console.

A bit sad I know but with all the talk of PS2/X-Box/GC its good to look back at what you used to have. Or am I showing my age?

2. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not really a console but what a great piece of kit the 16k, rubber key, ZX Spectrum was!!

Jetpac, Horace Goes Skiing, Tranzam.....lovely!

Then upgraded to 48k - WOW! Manic Miner, Brian Bloodaxe, Spyhunter, Way of the exploding Fist etc etc

Those were the days. Saying that, I can't bring myself to get a Speccy emulator on the PC, I'd rather looks back with rose tinted glasses.

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and all those Jeff Minter productions through Llamasoft

gridrunner - my all time favourite
    Attack of the Mutant Camels
    Revenge of the mutant camels
    Sheeps in space - I think he lost the plot on this one :)

Has anybody got the MAME project? This is an amazing piece of software. It actually runs dumps of the EEPROMS from the arcade games.

Scramble, Defender, Galaxians, PacMan, Sapce Invaders. There's something like 2500 games it can run. Amazing

now that is a nostalgia trip and a half

4. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might want to stick with the memories as the reality can sometimes be a big disappointment. In my case I thought I'd check out some Atari ST emulators. Some games, like The Sentinel, Captain Blood, Nebulous and Rainbow Islands still have some charm, but others are total pants. If the only games that you still enjoy amount to a handful from a catalogue of thousands it can be quite a sobering experience. The fact of the matter is that we are always spoiled rotten by the latest games hardware. Amen to that.

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    not so much consoles but arcade machines shinobi,bad dudes vs dragon ninja,double dragon and altered beast and who could forget streetfighter2.played altered beast an double dragon on a friends pc a while ago an was shocked to see how bad they where lol

6. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What About the old "table top" games.Pac Man,Space Invaders etc...Two players,one facing the other,you could even rest your milkshake on them....If you were caught making those hand movements under a table these days you,d be nicked!

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The speccy was for me but when I upgraded to the C64 what a mind blowing music revolution it was.......Rob Hubbard, WeMusic, Ben Daglish, etc........ Uridium, Saxion, Thing On A Spring and probably the best sound track of all all all time.......CrAzY cOmEtS.........................WOW

They were good days indeed:D

8. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Believe it or not there's actually a thriving retro music scene at the moment. There have been a few club events recently. These were attended by all of the old heroes (Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway. Got to meet Ben Dalglish and share a 'herbal cigarette' with him :D ).

Check out www.c64audio.com

John

9. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aah, Rob Hubbard. Now there's a bloke who knew how to squeeze a decent tune out of the Commodore 64.

10. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Have I??!! Most of my HD is taken up by the arcade Roms!:D

Just waiting for faster/better emulation of MAME on my Dreamcast and I will be in heaven!

11. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I'm with Gordon,
    Infact I still play my Vectrex every now and then, nostalgia is great for an hour or so on a Sunday afternoon...
    Scramble and Minestorm still play perfectly..

12. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Talking of old games I can't stop plying Paradroid on my C64 emulator.

Has to be one of the finest games ever made.

As for were it all started - that would be the Vic20.
    Still got it kicking around somewhere in the loft :)

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember that game, you know. Things came out of space and that and you had to shoot penguins at it. And then it blew up.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    What game are you on about?

15. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, hangover just starting to clear..........................

16. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll never forget the first time I played Defender at the arcade. Awesome. I have had good versions on the C64 and PC since but it is never quite the same.

In terms of home computers, Jet Set Willy and the Ultimate games (Atic Atac, Sabre Wulf, Knight Lore) stick out for me. I agree that is better to look back with fond memories than try to play them on an emulator. I tried Jet Set Willy and it was a big disappointment. The funniest thing is playing some of the old football games like Match Day. In a time when you are used to FIFA and ISS, it is quite a shock!

17. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont have to remember, i still have most consoles and computers i have ever owned, about 18 at the moment.

fave is probably tempest 2000 on the jaguar at the moment, jeff minter fantasticism :cool:

3d0 is a nice console, all these namby pamby next gen consoles, the gameplay gets worse as the gfx get better :eek:

well, i still fancy a game cube, nintendo always made great games, particularly since the now have sega on there side :)

edd

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I've had some disappointing revisits to old classics, (mostly on the Atari 2600) there are a lot of arcade games that still stand up, and the gameplay is just amazing.

Also, I'm shocked at how brutally hard some of these games were. (I don't remember Burgertime being this hard!)

Some of my Mame Favs:
    -Tron (best arcade game of all time. I just wish my PC had a paddle control for aiming)
    -Bank Panic
    -Punch-Out
    -Commando
    -Champion Wrestler
    -Mario Bros.

And I finally picked up a decent controller so now I can mimic the double-joystick action in games like Robotron, Smash TV, and Tutankham.

If you haven't checked out Mame yet, give it a whirl. It's an amazing piece of software. Course, the best part about the old console emulators, is the size of the games. I think the entire 2600 library only amounts to a few 100 K.