1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retractable ceiling mount for projector

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Bert Coules, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Has anyone made - or even thought about making - a retractable ceiling mount for a projector?

If I hang my Panasonic AE100 just below ceiling height, the projected image is far too high for comfortable viewing (I'm reluctant to use the keystone adjustment); but if I put the projector at the right height for a useable screen, it hangs too low into the room. Since the only thing above the ceiling of my viewing area is the loft, it occured to me that a housing which went up and down (either manually or by cleverer means) would be ideal.

Is there anything commercially available which could be pressed into use (whether designed for the purpose or not?) Does anyone here have any hints or tips?

Thanks in advance,

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    you can definitely get projector lifts - I've seen at least one website that does them, but they wouldn't be cheap. Can't help right now with a link, but I'll dig around when I get to work and see if I can find it.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Richard, thanks for the reply. I'll try a websearch myself for "projector lifts" (one phrase I didn't think to check for before) and see what I find, but if you *do* come across anything I'd appreciate the info.

Bert
    htp://www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. naim4

naim4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vogels do a ceiling lift for a projector. Try Eurotemps Website However, it costs about £2k, so not cheap. I am also looking for a more affordable system for exactly the same reason. I'll keep an eye on your thread.
    Regards

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Well, it's over seven years since I started the thread and the responses haven't exactly been rolling in, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Try a search here, on the forums. There are other threads on the subject, including one where a poster talks about having made a DIY version, but none of them seem particularly active.

All the commercial models I've seen, including second hand ones on eBay (where one supplier posts them regularly) are hugely expensive.

Bert

6. deefadog

deefadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Just an idea if you want to go DIY, but if you get an office chair that moves up and down with the leaver, you could easily fit the legs part in the loft and get the mount welded or attached somehow on to the top of the piston.

May be a bit crude but should work, you's have the leaver showing on the ceiling side unless you can thing of another way :)