Question Retire the Sony STR-DA2400ES or not?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jt57, May 6, 2018.

1. jt57

jt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I have been using my Sony STR-DA2400ES for 9yrs now and it's never missed a beat.

I use it in a 7.1 configuration with a set of Eltax LR speakers which have power towers for the main fronts that each have a powered sub built in (don't mock as they have been brilliant in all my setups for the last 15ish yrs).

Like all of us I am wondering if a new receiver would give me a significant upgrade over the DA-2400ES.

I have been pondering on getting either the Sony STRDN-1080 or Denon AVR-X2400H but as of yet have no need for Dolby Atmos or any Heos or similar functions and have no 4K video equipment.
    Streaming over bluetooth and playing off a usb stick would be a bonus but I have the Sony on the network so can cast things to it anyway.

My question is do you think I will gain any significant advantage sound wise by upgrading or wasting money on functions I don't need and if so which of the two receivers I am looking at do you think is the best all rounder.

J.T.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,962
    Hello. I have a Sony 3500ES, which I am using on stereo duties in a second room. It is a nice receiver, and probably perfectly fine for a 7.1 set-up, especially if you are using additional amplification within your speakers.

What you might like with a more modern receiver, is the room correction / bass management. I would suggest that if you can push the budget to the Denon 3400, that would include a better version of Audyssey than the 2400, and with the app, you can use it to EQ just the bass. Also will you need pre-outs to your powered speakers? If so, the Denon 2400 doesn't have those, but the Denon 3400 does.

Audyssey is what made the biggest difference to me. I went from the Sony 3500ES in my main room to a Yamaha RX-A810 which didn't sound that much different to the Sony. I also had a Cambridge Audio CXR 200 for a while, which did sound different, mostly due to a brighter sound and a lot more power. Moving to a Denon 6400 / Marantz SR7011 and now a Denon 4400, I think the main difference in sound (apart from the additional speakers) from the Sony is how Audyssey makes the bass sound in my room.

3. jt57

jt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Rambles and thanks for your reply.

In all honesty I have always had to tweak the auto setting for the bass due to the subs being side firing.
    When they were near the corners of the room, firing towards the wall, I found the Sony DCAC, and the system on the previous Pioneer receiver, always set the sub bass level far too high and made it boom excessively.
    Things got a lot better when I set the subs out of phase with each other and turned the levels down considerably.
    We have recently changed the outlay of the room and the front speakers/subs are further from the room corners, away from the walls, and I have now found that the subs sound better in phase with each other.

If you think that the main advantage would be a better configuration system I will just stick with my Sony and tweak it manually as necessary.

If anybody else has advise on whether to retire the Sony or not please give me your opinion.

P.S.
    From reading the specs on the Denon site I thought it said that both the 2400 & 3400 had 2 sub pre outs but the 3400's were individual as in .2 configuration, but I may have got it wrong.

Thanks again.
    J.T.

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,962
    Okay, I thought you were saying that your front main speakers were active, not just the subs. The 2400 does have 2 sub pre-outs. The 3400 also has two sub pre-outs but the subs can be EQ'd independently of each other on the 3400 using a better version of Audysey (XT32).