Retina Macbook Pro Advice (Keep or Exchange)

mkelbie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting what felt like forever for a Retina Macbook to be in stock in my local apple shop and managed to get the 256GB version on tuesday and I think I am disappointed?

With the demand being so high I think I might of been expecting more from this machine so debating on returning it for a standard MBP or even a Air and save my money.

A few things concern me regarding the build, the SSD & Memory being pretty much non upgradeable and the battery being difficult to replace means I am stuck on the same hardware and defnitniely need to spend another £270 on applecare with all the hardware being so expensive and soldered together.

Not sure what other people opinions are but that does concern me and will 8GB be enough ram for 2-3years? I know I dont plan on spending £1800 again anytime soon on a laptop.

Secondly what has me thinking is this retina screen, yes it looks nice but is it really that much better? I can see some improvement but not what I was expecting. is this a software issue whilst developers improve apps to take advantage of the screen?

Just looking for opinions/experiences of other owners and if anyone else has returned theres for any reason?

I won't be using my macbook for its full potential but I like to have a good spec machine and not have any issues so happy to pay a good price but would the standard pro and a saving of a few hundred quid be a better choice and could always install my own ssd & upgrade the ram when required or even get a macbook air and save the £700-£800 and see what comes in the future?

Or just maybe I havent given this macbook a chance yet....?

I looked at a retina MacBook the other day in Stormfront, like you I was disappointed. I would save your money and go for he std macbookpro. My mother purchased a new iPad and again I was disappointed an improvement yes but resolutionary, ermm no

Blue

I looked at a retina MacBook the other day in Stormfront, like you I was disappointed. I would save your money and go for he std macbookpro. My mother purchased a new iPad and again I was disappointed an improvement yes but resolutionary, ermm no

Blue

Just doesn't seem like you are getting a whole lot more for you money but I don't know if this is software playing catch up.

Big factor also is 0 future upgrades.

Secondly what has me thinking is this retina screen, yes it looks nice but is it really that much better? I can see some improvement but not what I was expecting. is this a software issue whilst developers improve apps to take advantage of the screen?

The software has caught up which is why we're seeing it in a laptop now. High resolution displays generally are nothing new.

But specifically what sort of apps are you using? Some stuff like the web will be scaled up and won't take advantage of the high resolution and that will gradually change in future (although in that example probably not in the lifetime of your macbook).

EndlessWaves said:
The software has caught up which is why we're seeing it in a laptop now. High resolution displays generally are nothing new.

But specifically what sort of apps are you using? Some stuff like the web will be scaled up and won't take advantage of the high resolution and that will gradually change in future (although in that example probably not in the lifetime of your macbook).

Well safari iTunes & Tracktor is all I have used so far. I don't do any photo or video editing but I will eventually start using dream weaver again.

8GB will be absolutely fine. With flash storage as well, even if you do get page outs it'll be to fast storage. 8GB is a lot though, way more than most people need, so unless you radically change your use you'll have no problems over the next few years.

Lots of applications are being upgraded to support the Retina screen, so don't worry about that, especially since this is a long-term purchase. On day-one you might find some applications don't look great (Office is a good example) but upgrades will come, probably quite quickly too. Even basic ones like Google Chrome look better if you're using the developer versions (which feed into live versions when fully tested).

Just want to be sure as I cant upgrade anytime. I just want to get my moneys worth, would much prefer this over an Air or standard Pro but want to to be sure saving £700+ now and get a new macbook in 12-18months wouldnt be a better idea?

Will be gutted if after 12 months I need start looking for a replacement

Just returned from the apple store. played with a 13' air and ended up exchanging for that. I am about £600 better off and this Air is a good bit of kit and even got applecare with it. Can get good basic use out of it for 12-18months and see what happens with the pro range next time there is a refresh.

Powerful machine but just not quite got the wow factor i was expecting. My opinion of course but I had been waiting and waiting to get my hands one 1 and it just wasn't quite what i was expecting.

maybe there will be a macbook air with retina but will it not kill the price. would like to see all macbook pros to be upgraded to the slim design with retinas and more flexibility with the spec and upgrades.

Hopefully i dont regret my decision as I am sure many will think i have made the wrong choice but i have £600 gift card and 12months to save up for what ever comes out of wwdc 2013 :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom