retention to screenburn

M

mx-revelation

guys when does retention turn into screenburn, as a rule of thumb?. im slightly worried. dont say the obvious dont use plasma.
my son and i play the xbox 360 for many hours playing graw 2,, and recently noticed retention i think its always been there but graw may be a prob i dunno its life bar is neon blue.
yes it goes after 10 mins of tv, fyi i have the hitachi 42pd7a10 same as the 7200 but in black.
i have a therory assume the sun cast a shadow on a wall over a prelonged period of time that wall will disscolour, close curtains paint the wall (dif picture) and that wall is new ?
i dunno lol
while im here whats your thinking of skys balls up on that lack of movies via their new line up ?

Take it as a warning, if I were you.
Check your contrast and brightness settings, as they may need turning down a bit.
If it goes after 10 mins of running, it's retention, which is not so bad :smashin:
But I'd hate it to become permanent.
I'd suggest using shorter periods of gameplay, try half hour, followed by 10 mins of normal telly and see if it's ok.
If it is, up it to an hour and do the same again etc.
You should be able to find a safe limit that way.
My 7200 has never had a hint of a problem, but then I only game with a Wii, which has constantly changing pictures.

btw my brightness and contrast is round the 0 mark and only see retention on a black screen non av input for 10 mins
you suggestion is a wise one ob 1

Take it as a warning, if I were you.
Check your contrast and brightness settings, as they may need turning down a bit.
If it goes after 10 mins of running, it's retention, which is not so bad :smashin:
But I'd hate it to become permanent.
I'd suggest using shorter periods of gameplay, try half hour, followed by 10 mins of normal telly and see if it's ok.
If it is, up it to an hour and do the same again etc.
You should be able to find a safe limit that way.
My 7200 has never had a hint of a problem, but then I only game with a Wii, which has constantly changing pictures.

I totally agree with you Badger and your advice. But it is damn annoying when you cant use the TV in the way you want. I told my kids 30 mins and 10 mins of TV too as that seems safest to me. But got to be honest 15mins on any game with menu items and I find that retention is present. People say on here that they dont get it, I've seen retention on every single plasma after gameplay its the one thing that does put me off them. Put a white or black screen on and its there but it goes and its not noticable when watching TV. But that said I've not seen screenburn on one :) I would not want to be the one to say it but I'm begining to think that retention is normal and screenburn is rare (ish) :)

From what I've seen on friends screens retention is as you say just normal and I've never seen burn on a modern Plasma, if you put a completely white screen up on a normal CRT tv after game playing you see some slight retention for a few seconds too (obviosuly not as bad as Plasma technology though)

No one seems to mention the anti-burn technologies these screens have these days like 'wobble' and so on? Do they help with game playing?

I'm guessing wobble just shifts everything around by 1 pixel or so every so many minutes which I guess wouldn't do much good as if an energy bar on say a game takes up 6 pixels high and 30 wide, wobbling it by 1 pixel will only change the colour of the edge pixels around that bar and not the middle ones, so sounds like a bit of a pointless technology to me?

I totally agree with you Badger and your advice. But it is damn annoying when you cant use the TV in the way you want. I told my kids 30 mins and 10 mins of TV too as that seems safest to me. But got to be honest 15mins on any game with menu items and I find that retention is present. People say on here that they dont get it, I've seen retention on every single plasma after gameplay its the one thing that does put me off them. Put a white or black screen on and its there but it goes and its not noticable when watching TV. But that said I've not seen screenburn on one :) I would not want to be the one to say it but I'm begining to think that retention is normal and screenburn is rare (ish) :)

Same here, I get retention from the 360 menu if I leave it on for seconds! I do use Dynamic mode though which most people wont touch with a bargepole! It does always go after 15 mins of TV watching. It is slightly annoying though beacuse you never feel 100% comfortable having major gaming sessions. I limit myself to about an hour at a time.

Never had a spot of retention on my screen ever, from any games console.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom