Retains recording requests

Old Sea Eagle

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good day
I recently purchased a Humax HDR-1100S Free Sat recorder - it works fine.
We have been told that whilst we are abroad the Electricity supplier will have to cut the supply to our properties to carry out works. The power cut will last for 6 hours. Will we lose all the programmes we have set up to record? Does anybody know what the fail-safe "no power" period is, as for the odd short power interruption, the machine seems to keep its memory. Thanks

After a power cut, the box wakes briefly to re-start the clock and then goes back into sby, so you won't lose anything apart from obviously anything scheduled during the actual power cut.

To be ultra safe set the box to wake up at say 0600-0615 on BBC 1 every morning either using a power on and power off timer or set a daily manual watch reservation at the same time. This gives the box time to update the epg. The Non Volatile RAM used to store the epg will retain it's contents potentially for years.

Thank you grahamthompson. I have set up the box to power on and off as you suggest. BTW what does "epg" mean and what is a "Non Volatile RAM"? I take "sby" stands for "stand by".
Thanks again

Thank you grahamthompson. I have set up the box to power on and off as you suggest. BTW what does "epg" mean and what is a "Non Volatile RAM"? I take "sby" stands for "stand by".
Thanks again

Epg - Electronic Programme Guide - what you see when you press guide. NVRAM - non volatile random access memory - retains it's contents when power is removed. RAM - random access memory like you have in a PC loses it's contents when power is removed.

Thank you grahamlthompson.
I am glad I took your advice and not that of Humax who, when asked the same question last week, and have only just replied, stated "...I would recommend disconnecting the device before you go on holiday, a sudden electric cut-off can break the HDR, this wouldn't be covered under the warranty so we would be unable to repair it if this happened..."
Interestingly, they couldn't (wouldn't) repair my previous model when it ceased to function and tersely told me to buy a new one! Not very helpful me thinks!
Kind regards
Old Sea Eagle

Thank you grahamlthompson.
I am glad I took your advice and not that of Humax who, when asked the same question last week, and have only just replied, stated "...I would recommend disconnecting the device before you go on holiday, a sudden electric cut-off can break the HDR, this wouldn't be covered under the warranty so we would be unable to repair it if this happened..."
Interestingly, they couldn't (wouldn't) repair my previous model when it ceased to function and tersely told me to buy a new one! Not very helpful me thinks!
Kind regards
Old Sea Eagle

It would be a very poor pvr if you can't use it while on holiday. I have to ask what difference does it make if you are on holiday or not, you could still get a power cut, and the box has to be left in sby to work anyway ? I would complain to Humax as this advice makes no sense at all. In fact the supply company would be liable in any case if a fault on their system damages your kit. To be ultra cautious plug the box in via a surge diverting adaptor.

eg

Masterplug 4 Socket 10 A Internal Extension Lead 4m White | Departments | DIY at B&Q

A surge protector would offer some protection, but if you have a situation where the power blips frequently, or you get multiple brown-outs, then all bets are off. If you want to get maximum protection, use a UPS. That said, they're not ideal either. Once their batteries have been exhausted, you'll still loose power, but when AC is restored most UPS devices that I've looked at need a manual power-on again, which isn't a lot of help if you're away from home.

In this situation I'd be inclined to follow the advice offered by Humax -- disconnect the kit from the mains. I'd also disconnect anything else that might be sensitive to mains outages if I was going to be away from home for an extended period and I knew that power supply work could result in all sorts of temporary supply issues.

Clem

A surge protector would offer some protection, but if you have a situation where the power blips frequently, or you get multiple brown-outs, then all bets are off. If you want to get maximum protection, use a UPS. That said, they're not ideal either. Once their batteries have been exhausted, you'll still loose power, but when AC is restored most UPS devices that I've looked at need a manual power-on again, which isn't a lot of help if you're away from home.

In this situation I'd be inclined to follow the advice offered by Humax -- disconnect the kit from the mains. I'd also disconnect anything else that might be sensitive to mains outages if I was going to be away from home for an extended period and I knew that power supply work could result in all sorts of temporary supply issues.

Clem

What a weird idea. Whether you are away from home or not you are just as likely to get the issue. If you are sitting in front of the box what can you do about it ? If you are away 2 weeks it will make sod all difference if you are home for the other 50 weeks.

You do not get brown outs in the UK. If the voltage or frequency deviates outside the statutory minimum then automatic and manual load shedding switches of the demand to prevent the grid from collapsing completely.

In any case the switch mode power supplies used in electronic kit maintains it's DC output voltage level over a massive range of external ac input voltages. Typically they are designed to work from 110V to 250V at 50 to 60Hz. (Basically anywhere in the world).

Think of the millions of Sky boxes that do not even have a low power standby, they are effectively fully on 24/7.

Damage to kit from mains surges is very rare and is usually associated with lightning induced issues. (National Grid Planning for 40yrs).
I have had pvrs for many years and never had any problems as a result of leaving them on 24/7. My Foxsat-hdr has been connected since late 2008 and still is used every day.

Last edited:
I disagree about the brown-outs, because I've experenced them first hand at my last home. The local area was supplied with an underground cable whose capacity had effectively been exceeded by too many new homes being built. Power cuts/blips/dimming lights were commonplace until I got my MP involved to try and help get the situation resolved, which it eventually was. We had eighteen power cuts in under 9 months. During that time for a week or so I had a power supply monitor fitted to my property's incoming electricity supply by the National Grid. That showed voltage drops and brown-outs. National Grid supplied me with UPS kit FOC for my computers because I often worked at home. I lost a PC and my first Sky satellite box because of power supply issues. The power would disappear for a second or two then come back, not once, but several times in a row. Stuff like fridges handled that OK but electronics just didn't.

You can also get multiple blips during a power cut in an adjacent area. Although your supply is fine it apparently (because I asked) can be affected by switching as the grid people try and re-route supplies.

Stuff like Freesat boxes are computers in all but name. If you keep messing around with their start-up sequences by frequently interrupting power eventually something will break. I stand by my comments to the OP's original post. If there is a risk of power supply interruption because of maintenance work, then you have no idea how things might go. You could have several interruptions in a short space of time. Personally, based on my experiences, I wouldn't chance it .....

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom