Retaining the date and time from the Camcorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rgbell, May 3, 2007.

1. rgbell

rgbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to retain the date and time info when creating a DVD. This is the time displayed on my camcorder when recording footage. Does anyone know of a DVD recorder that has the ability to do this? Also is their software that retains this info?

I woul deven settle for the time and date displayed during scene transitions.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
    Robert--

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
  3. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    It depends how you connect the camcorder to the recorder. Firewire (aka i-Link or DV) gives the best quality, but you can't superimpose the date and time on the picture when you use firewire. The date and time is contained in the data stream, and can be extracted by software in a PC, but I think most DVD recorders discard it. (Though justnod said, in the thread Gavtech gave a link to, that his auto record captured the date in the title.)

If you connect using a composite or s-video cable then you can superimpose the date and time on the output (assuming your camcorder has this feature) and this superimposed information will be recorded by your DVD recorder. It's permanent - you can't turn it on and off when you play the recording. Having it on all the time is a bit distracting, so you might want to display it (in the camcorder) for the first few seconds of the recording then turn it off. If you are assembling a recording from scenes taken on different dates, you could turn the date/time on again for a few seconds at the start of each new date.

If you've got a camcorder tape containing lots of short recordings taken on lots of different dates you could copy the whole tape to the DVD recorder twice, once with the time and date turned on and then again with it turned off (which could be via firewire). You could then use the date stamped recording as a reference for editing or dividing up the unstamped recording.

You could try searching or asking in the camcorders forum for more ideas or suggestions. Here's an example thread on this topic.