Retailers selling "used" Blu-rays as "new"

Celticbhoy1888

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I received Changeling Blu-ray in the post today as part of Play.com's 2 for £12 offer.

The case was shrinkwrapped in a material similar to clingfilm. Thought that was a bit odd and when opened the case was quite clearly used with several scuffs and marks on the front and back. Even the disc has a couple of fingerprint marks.

I am raging that a company like Play.com would try and pass this off as "new"

Anyone have an experience like this before ?

Cheers

dont say that, i got got a backlog of 10 titles from them

Tbh this is the 1st bad experience I have had with them. Spent thousands with them over the years. In fact I shudder to think what the total would be :eek:

The clingfilm wrapping is not always a sound of something used. Discs from Amazon and Indigo Starfish can come like that too.

Thing with Play.com is if you decide to send it back, they require you to pay for the postage upfront and refund later.

well i have 1 in this tight shrink wrap that you speak off the rest all have normal wrapping or wrapping with the blu-ray peel strip

I have had tonnes of the shrink wrap and no problems. They have all been new condition.

Like everything else, Universal use cheap wrapping.

well i just opened the 1 with this type of wrapping

Caddyshack on Warner Brothers, disc looks brand new, nothing to say its a return or used of any form

the only thing else i can add is that it had a plays in high def on playstation and blu-ray players sticker on the wrapping, so i conclude this has got to be new

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The actual case looks like it has been dragged along a pavement. And fingerprints on the disc. There is absolutely no doubt this was used then re-sealed and sold as "new".

Very dissapointing service from play.com

And I've told them that !

And fingerprints on the disc.

There is absolutely no doubt this was used then re-sealed and sold as "new".
!

Aye, I'd say you'd been sold a pup.

Fingerprints on a new disc. Shouldn't be.:thumbsdow

Does it say 'Made In Mexico' on it? Ho, ho!

Ive had the exact same issue!

My play 2 for £12 (couples retreat and perfect getaway) both reseals. I can normally tell due to the artwork being angled/misplaced inside the case.

I have to say alot of my blurays from hut/zavvi come as apparent reseals.. Are they actually customer returns or second hand? I would love to know if anyone knows?.. As it has often bothered/made me curious..
Especially the cheaper titles all appear to be resealed, i know some studios do shrinkwrap in different ways though.

If play.com want it returned then fine. But what will they do with it ? Reseal and pass off to someone else probably.

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

I had the same thing from amazon.co.uk. Clingfilm type wrapping, a mark on the cover (possibly from a Biro) and lots of finger prints on the disc. I sent it back asking for a new disc rather than a refund but they would only give a refund. (Half of the 2 for £15)

Never happened to me and I must have bought hundreds of DVDs and Blu-rays from Play.com. If it did happen, it wouldn't be that big a deal for me. I don't believe it's general practise. If you're not happy, return it with an explanation and ask for a refund. End of it.

Last edited:
Todd Tomorrow said:
Never happened to me and I must have bought hundreds of DVDs and Blu-rays from Play.com. If it did happen, it wouldn't be that big a deal for me. I don't believe it's general practise. If you're not happy, return it with an explanation and ask for a refund. End of it.

For me it's the principal of it. Whether is £6, £60 or £600. A clearly used item should not be sold as new. Especially from a retailer like play.com

For me it's the principal of it. Whether is £6, £60 or £600. A clearly used item should not be sold as new. Especially from a retailer like play.com

If I got myself into a knot over everything because of the "principal of it" then I'd probably enjoy life a lot less then I do. There are issues where sticking to your principals is important, but mistakes happen and this is piffle. I don't believe it's common practice for major retailers to sell used items as new or that they are generally trying to rip people off, but occasionally something goes wrong. Then you demand a refund or replacement and that should be the end of it. Starting a drama over it and making it sound like it is general practise ? Life is too short.

Todd Tomorrow said:
If I got myself into a knot over everything because of the "principal of it" then I'd probably enjoy life a lot less then I do. There are issues where sticking to your principals is important, but mistakes happen and this is piffle. I don't believe it's common practice for major retailers to sell used items as new or that they are generally trying to rip people off, but occasionally something goes wrong. Then you demand a refund or replacement and that should be the end of it. Starting a drama over it and making it sound like it is general practise ? Life is too short.

Starting a drama ? Get to eff !!!

Starting a drama ? Get to eff !!!

I don't see why anyone should accept it. It was just luck that the disc itself wasn't faulty (was it?). Few times now I've been to argos and been presented with packages that have clearly been returned and have been badly re-sealed (and in some cases missing parts) - I refuse to accept them and demand an unopened package. It's a bit cheeky of them but if they send out a new one then that seems a satisfactory conclusion. All a bit shoddy really though.

nwgarratt said:
The clingfilm wrapping is not always a sound of something used. Discs from Amazon and Indigo Starfish can come like that too.

Thing with Play.com is if you decide to send it back, they require you to pay for the postage upfront and refund later.

If you arrange to send back using the online return part on the site they allow you to print a pre paid postage slip

If you arrange to send back using the online return part on the site they allow you to print a pre paid postage slip

That must be a new thing.

Amazon let you print a returns label. Never seen Play do it.

Amazon let you print a returns label. Never seen Play do it.

That is what I thought as I was talking about Play and they have changed their site layout recently.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom