1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retailer fails to deliver again (and again, and again..............

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by gliderpilot925, May 19, 2005.

1. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Electro-Centre Ltd trading online as Digital-Point took my order online and immediately charged the item to my card without informing me that they were out of stock. The goods, a Hitachi LCD TV, were shown on pricerunner as being in stock and were shown in Digital-Points own website as being in stock.

I would have phoned to confirm the stock situation before ordering, but the website clearly stated ..........."Our website is monitored 24 hours a day and all stock information is up to date. If an item is listed on our site, it is in stock. If an item is not in stock the product is automatically removed. If you haven't received your parcel within 48 hrs please only then contact our sales line." .............

After 48 hours had passed with no delivery I waited another day before phoning Digital-Point, when I was told that they had no stock, they couldn't say when it would be in and told me to phone back in 48 hours.
    I phoned a different contact number the following day (Thursday)when I was told the goods were coming in the next day and would be delivered on Saturday or Monday. I waited in vain. I phoned again and this time I was referred to a manager who apologised politely and told me the TV was coming in Thursday when they would phone me to tell me whether it would be delivered Friday or Saturday. I was offered a free DVD player to compensate for my inconvenience. Thursday morning Digital Point phoned to tell me the TV would be delivered between 12 an 4pm. I cancelled a days work to be home. At 1pm they phoned to tell me they weren't going to deliver it after all. I was offered a DVD player (presumably the same one) as compensation and told that Hitachi had let them down and that delivery would be Tuesday or Wednesday next.

All this stemmed from the initial insistence that the item was "in stock". Apart from the initial phone call when the Digital Point phone-answerer was abrupt and off hand all of the other people have been polite and seemingly helpful. The bottom line is, however, that despite promises I've been let down repeatedly which has wasted 5 days waiting at home for delivery, so far.
    I wish I'd ordered somewhere more reliable.

2. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interestingly - I've got exactly the same problem with the same supplier, for probably the same item (32ld7200). :mad:

Ordered on 10th May, still waiting - was promised it tomorrow or Saturday, only to be told they won't get it in until Monday now. Again - website said in-stock but obviously wasn't. :mad: :mad:

If I don't get the item by Tuesday next week I'm gonna cancel (luckily I paid via finance, so cancelling should be easier).

3. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wander is Hitachi are doing a 'toshiba' and having the same supply problems as the 32WL48? This is beginning to sound familiar..

Having said that, it's probably just a problem with Digital Point.

Interesting...

Ben

4. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The item is a Hitachi 32LD7200. It's interesting to hear that others have had/got the same problem. I searched around a number of "budget" sites to find out who had current stock and most didn't, which is why I went for Digital-Point after their very positive assertion that their website was kept up to date and that items out of stock were removed from it.

When they subsequently told me they were out of stock I went back to the website and found the Hitachi 32LD7200 still shown as available. Just before I posted the thread starter I went to Digital-Point's site again and found they had finally removed it.

Another intersting feature of Digital-Point's website is that they show a Pricerunner customer evaluation feedback page with a score considerably higher than the one shown on the Pricerunner site itself. Perhaps that's something else they just haven't kept up to date.

5. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't necessarily have minded too much if I had been informed of supply difficulties. Apart from the initial order confirmation email, I've had absolutely no contact from them whatsoever. I've had to do all the ringing/emailing.

I rang the finance company today to enquire how easy cancellation might be and they said they'd ring Digital Point on my behalf to see what/where the problem might be. What she told me was that they'd found that the TV was faulty and that a new one had to be ordered in to replace it. Again, I probably wouldn't have minded if someone had the courtesy to tell me. This excuse does sound dodgy though. :confused:

I shall see what next week brings - if I've not heard anything on Monday then I shall try and cancel. I think small wait for a more reputable supplier is worth it in the end.

Feel better now :suicide:

6. zenji9

zenji9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had EXACTLY the same experience as the thread starter with the same company. Told them to STICK their DVD, and cancel the order. Managed to get one from John Lewis in Notts.... no problems.

7. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    Hi all, I've had a very similar experience to you all with Digital Point. (Warning - this is a long one).

I ordered a Hitachi 32LD7200 from them as their website stated said 'in stock', order confirmation received straight away. I contacted them 48hrs later to enquire about delivery, I was told that someone from 'the delivery department' would contact me the next day.

I contacted them the next day, to be told to call back after 11am as the delivery department are in between 11am and 5pm :rolleyes: . I rang back at 11:30 to be told by the same person that the delivery department worked between 3pm and 5pm :rolleyes: . At this point I got a bit shirty, to be told by the person "you will definitely get the television by Saturday". I received a call the same afternoon (Wednesday) saying that I would receive delivery on Thursday - the next day :) .

On Thursday, the delivery driver called me at 08:15 telling me the TV would be delivered in the afternoon. :clap: . Two hours later I received a call from Digital-Point saying that the driver had reached the depot and "unfortunately Hitachi didn't have any stock". :( . I challenged him on this, as the website stated 'in stock'. He started offering me free leads, dvd player, etc. I rebuffed these and requested my order cancelled, he got a bit panicky and then assured me the TV would be with me first thing on Wednesday morning. :rotfl:

I contacted other companies and found that there is a 3-4 week delay from Hitqachi UK. I called Digital-Point back and demanded my order be cancelled. They said that they couldn't do this :mad: , I went over the statutory rights garb and eventually they agreed to cancel the order/refund my money. I am still awaiting this to happen though......

Anyway, I sourced one from my local John Lewis depot, collected the same day with free 5yr guarantee :thumbsup: . They are the first internet company to really put a question mark in my head about the security/validity of internet transactions.

*Quick good point though - I dealt with Pixmania and ordered a Samsung HD945 DVD Player and it arrived within 48hrs!!! :smashin:

Cheers,

Steve

8. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    Just 1 minute after posting on this thread, I've received an e-mail from Digital-Point confirming my refund has been applied!!! :D

Hope you all get things sorted....

All the best,

Steve

9. dave_e_field

dave_e_field
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same address/phone as www.electrocentre.co.uk

Was tempted to order a Philips 9976 from them (electro ctr) but this has kinda put me off.

10. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes same company mate. Will update on Monday - I've been promised a call then. If I get nowhere then I'll cancel

11. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Just to add to this, if you ever see the location of their premises (in a dodgy area of Birmingham) you'd never buy from them. Imagine Tottenham Court Road with more gun crime :)

12. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Yep i have had problems with these myself, regarding a toshiba dlp tv which i managed to sort out myself without any help from them. Was told three times that the manager would phone me back and he never did.

13. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone reading these forums anything good to say about these guys?

Bad service tends to provoke a response (as in this thread), but good service seldom does. Which is a pity.

I like to think I'm an even minded sort of guy and will give people the benefit of the doubt, but my gut feeling tells me that I'm gonna have to cancel my order and look elsewhere.

14. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been told that it's in stock now and I should get delivery either tomorrow or Wednesday.

I'll believe it when I see it though.

15. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received an email this morning (to one I sent this morning too) :-

Hi,
    We were expecting delivery of these Monday 23rd but have been let down again so we are going to collect these from Hitachi's depot on Tuesday and hopefully get some delivered on the way back the same day.

Our delivery department will call you to let you know the status of your order.

We are trying everything in our power to get these TV's to all of our customers.

Best regards
    Customer Support

Sounds a bit suspect. :confused: :nono:

16. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    So yet again, they were going to miss your delivery, and but for the fact that you had mailed them, they wouldn't have told you...

Sounds very suss to me. I'm not keen on these internet retaiolers selling stock they haven't got, and don't know when they'll get. It's very easy to advertise stock you haven't got, get the sales, and then spin plenty of lines to get people to hang on while you sort it out. I was going to order a Samsung from Be-direct, was told delivery should be about a week, and then I looked on here, and someone else was told that it would be well into June (this was about 2 weeks ago...!)

Well, you live and learn, that's 2 internet companies that I won't trust anymore... It just damages the whole business doesn't it?

17. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Indeedy. I've had enough and cancelled my order. I'm gonna buy it from John Lewis I think - although it's more money you do get the 5 year warranty and a bit more piece of mind. :)

18. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anywhere to buy the Hitachi 32PD7200 apart from John Lewis? Anybody got firm/reliable info on when these sets will be available again?

19. Kaminsky

Kaminsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago from Digital Direct. I already knew they were out of stock as I called them before I placed the order - but I figured practically everywhere was out of stock too. I've phoned them a few times and they assure me that I'm getting the screen later this week. They are supposed to be giving me a ring when they are about to deliver it. They've already charged my credit card (which I'm not too happy about). They also mentioned that they've got about 200 orders outstanding for the Hitachi screen. I think they're going to ship them directly from the distributor or something, thats why they've already charged my card. So I'll believe it when I see it. If I dont get it this week I might cancel.

Nick

20. Clown

Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I ordered my Hitachi 32LD7200 on Sunday. It arrived today. I didn't tell anyone because I wanted one, and they had two in stock.

www.futurehome.co.uk

They seem like a decent company.

21. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rang them already this morning - they have none in either. :(

22. countryman

countryman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi guys,

I got the other one from FutureHome!

Haven't posted before but I've been observing this forum since January when I had 32WL48P on order with TV & Video Direct. Cancelled that end of April and ordered 32LD7200 from DigitalDirect 3rd May. They didn't charge my credit card but I got fed up last week and tried Futurehome on Saturday. They said had two left so I jumped straight in. I'm using the TV now in the living room to type this (while watching SKY PIP) and I have to say so far it's great.

(Thanks go out to MattP for the settings cause I was worried when it first arrived that I'd made a mistake - I haven't!)

Flash, I'm sorry to hear your story but all I can say is as all things in life there are good and there are bad. Futurehome was true to their word when I called saturday and delivery first thing this morning. I can't say fairer than that.

Finally, I'm just glad to have a TV after waiting total of 5 months and definitely recommend the 32LD7200 to all. Next will be getting a HDMI cable for my recent HD850 to see what it can really do.

23. Clown

Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Bwaahahah. That's why I didn't tell anyone :)
    I've only really been lurking for about a month. I'm more of a compulsive buyer who likes to research what he's compulsively buying.

24. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gonna wait till next week before doing anything - I've not got the refund for the deposit from Digital-Point yet anyway - that might take a while :rolleyes:

Even if I don't end up getting the Hitachi, there's some more great sets coming out over the next few months, so I'll not be too gutted.

25. handsome devil

handsome devil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Ordered Mine Over 2 Weeks Ago From Tv & Video Direct ,went To There Shop And Actualy Spoke To Salesman Who Advised Me To Get On The List
    Because There Was None In Stock Anywhere.was A Little Scepticle But Did As He Said And Paid A Deposit . Have Contacted Rgb,crampton And Moore,sound And Vision ,sis,digital Direct,and Many More Every 3 Days Or So And They Tell Me The Same Thing ,hitachi Have Been Caught With There Pants Down ,hopefuly Should Start To Come Into Stock Thurs But Cant Guarantee.so My Advice To Anyone Who Has One On Order Should Stay With That Company,no One Has These In Stock And Canceling Your Order Would Only Meen You Going Further Down The Pecking Order. All Good Things Come To Them That Wait ! All Be It A Bit Frustrating,good Look And Lets Here From Anyone Who Actualy Gets There Hands On One By Weekend.

26. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Im having the same problem with www.unbeatable.co.uk. When I ordered they told me it would be 10 - 14 day wait. Fair enough I thought, no rush. Thats was on 23rd April and i'm still waiting. I have chased just about everyday since the deadline, and they still dont have any in stock. Latest mail reads:

"I have chased this with Hitachi sales but they are directing me towards our account manager for information. Our buyer is meeting with him tomorrow so I will be able to update you then. I hope that will be o.k. and I will be in touch as soon as I have news. Many thanks."

Sounds ominous to me although it seems there is a problem with Hitachi supplying demand, dont think its the retailers fault. But they could do there homework better !

Anyway Ill let you know how I get on tomorrow, im hoping th news is good.

27. rich1231

rich1231
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive bought a few things from digital direct over the last few years. always had the items delivered quickly and without incident. Used www.net-power.co.uk in Germany for my Projector and they were great as well.

Ordered my SPL LCD from Austria (Ebay) and apart from a long wait for delivery they were great too.

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is the aftersales service as good with customers as it is for the staff :rotfl:

29. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Got One!!! :thumbsup:

Managed to get one after all - went to Crampton and Moore in Sheffield and picked it up yesterday - they just got 12 in. When I was leaving he said he'd sold all but 4 of them.

Well chuffed :smashin:

30. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eh??

Was he plugging his own company or something?

Ben