Retailer Experience

M

mysmob

Readers might be interested in my experiences in trying to order a Sony KV36FS76S on-line. First try was with empiredirect.co.uk. I ordered just prior to Xmas and was pleasantly surprised to be contacted after only a few days promising delivery at the end of that week. What arrived though was the old model FS7OS, albeit in a FS76S box. To make matters worse the set was DOA. So now I was stuck with a hulking great monster in the corner of my living room which would not even switch on. No sign of a replacement from Empire so I duly cancelled the order. Only with some chasing was my credit card refunded.
Next up was qed-uk.com. Lots of 76s in stock I was told. So I waited to be contacted re a delivery date - nothing. "Oh, we've lost it" they said. A week goes by and they apparently track it down in the warehouse and promise delivery in a couple of days. Nothing again. "Oh, it's gone missing. We think it has maybe been stolen". So, once again I cancel the order and am waiting to see if QED live up to their promise of a prompt refund. I have in the meantime placed an order for a Panasonic TX36PB50C with unbeatable.co.uk. I have my fingers crossed.

I tried PRC Direct, RGB and Techtronics. All promised they had the FS76 in stock when I placed the order but then I got a contact saying it would be 1-3 before any would be arriving (this was back in early October 2002.

I then ordered from Empire Direct and it arrived within 5 days but with the wrong stand packaged in and Wega 2 box (too much of a coincidence????). The stand was then replaced after a week and I had one weeks happy viewing before the television displayed a fault. I have since been stuck with a faulty FS76 because NO ONE IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY has one in stock.

House of Fraser called me yesterday to say Sony had put the next delivery date back AGAIN, YES AGAIN!!!..., BY TWO WEEKS. They will not be getting any until mid Feb at the earliest and therefore I would be waiting until the end of Feb for delivery at the earliest!! OH MY G*D!!

All I want is to replace my faulty Sony television. Have Sony got one man in Spain making these televisions and carrying them over to the U.K by himself, one by one????

I give up!...but what I have learnt is that in my experience it can be very wise NOT ORDER ONLINE if you want a hassle free order. It is not Empire's fault my tv is faulty and it is not the other companies fault they did not have the tv in stock as promised by Sony. But I will now happily pay the extra pounds just to be able to walk into a shop and speak to the manager face to face.

Tom

What you say has merit and is very tempting. But those "extra pounds" in the case of the Sony could amount to as much as 500 or so. Enough of a reason to stick with the frustrations of on-line ordering!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom