1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retail store knowledge.....oh dear.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Biccy, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may not have the most significance but its something i had to post;

Was walking round one of my local electrical superstores today (not sure if im allowed to give the name so i wont just in case, lets just say they are one of the biggies) and I heard a right gem from one of the salespeople. I was looking at some of the hi-def stuff on show & there was a salesman talking to a family about about hi-def, i wasnt paying a huge amount of attention, just heard him going on about how good it would be, the best bit was when he talked about movies & that HDMI stood for.....High Definition Movie Encrypt!

How bad is that, not just that encrypt starts with an E and not an I! Seriously though, im guessing these sales people must have some training, and that most unsuspecting general public are going to be relying on them for advice & will believe what they're told. Too bad.

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Currys and Comet, like Dixons and PC World are given **** all training other than how to steer a customer into buying the extended warranty at the time of purchase.
    Seriously, those who know their stuff only do so because they care or are interested. Those who are there to pick up a wage each week, couldn't care less about being correct or misinforming the customers.
    Basically, you need to do your research beforehand and use the store to see product in the flesh before buying. Otherwise, you'll walk out with the wrong thing or paying more for something with features you'll never use.
    It's basically preying on those who know no better, or are too trusting that they'll be told EVERYTHING they need to know and be told which is most suited to their needs.

If you really want to **** yourself laughing, head into PC World, hover around the Macs (with someone who knows them fully, if you don't) and listen to what utter drivel gets spouted when you ask a normal question.
    The best one I heard about was the employee who admitted he knew very little about Macs other than they use Windows 2K.
    I'm sure Steve Jobs would pay a fortune to see one of his Macs running Windows, without the aid of Virtual PC!

3. mistrip

mistrip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What does HDMI stand for :confused:

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    High-Definition Multimedia Interface

5. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wonder how many people have come out of these stores lately and have been totally mis-informed about HD.....im not saying i know alot, but for these sales people to work selling TV's, at £000's of pounds, & not know what the abbreviations stands for is abysmal. I mean if they cant get the words right how much can they know about the technology, & then explain this to the public!

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thing is, a large %age of those buyers will probably never bother with HD, and the telly was bought cause it looks nice and keeps them ahead or in touch with Jones's!
    If they do get a HD DVD Rec/Player, you can almost guarantee they'll hook it up with the SCART cable that comes with it, presuming it's not supplied with a HDMI one - in which case, they'll not have a clue as to where to stick it.

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The best one I heard was a salesman telling a customer 'It's best to go for the gold plated printer cable as it produces better quality printing' :oops:

8. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    My own favourite was a salesman trying to sell a Philips DVD recorder who said that DVD+R was better than -R because it recorded colours in a different way so they were much more lifelike!

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    If there is one good thing about HD, its that someone (mostly Panasonic) have their act together with sending out demo kits. And these just plug into the set, so no more RF distribution of a dodgy Sky feed.

10. Biccy

Biccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny thing was the store i went in had about 6 or 7 screens in a row and they all seemed set up really well, i know they probably had a dvd playing that had a top,top transfer as it was a HD ad-disc (guees it could even have been proper HD stuff from a PC but i didnt see any near the screens)...but the picture was pretty outstanding compared to any other stuff on show at other stores. shame the sales guy wasnt on a par with the goods he was selling!

in case its of any interest the panny pv500 & the hitachi 7200 did look stunning.

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It sounds to me like he got HDMI and HDCP mixed up. They probably told him that HDMI is also HDCP encripted, but he probably wasnt listening!

I also do all my own research before buying anything. And to be honest I preffer buying online as I have no need for a salespersons assistance, making these large shops pointless for me.

Online shopping cuts out the cost of buying at large shops which cost more due to the phisical shop being built and (useless) staff wages.

The only benefit to a shop is being able to get a demo and being able to see the product before you buy.

12. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Have to say I try and always buy TVs from John Lewis, or a local dealer who matches them. Why - they have a five year guarantee as standard for their TVs.

My mum bought a 21" Sony from them, and it failed 3 years after it was bought. They repaired it. It then failed 4 years and 11 months after it wass bought, and they replaced it with an equivalent brand new Sony, with a 1 year warranty.

They are usually competitive for price (you can price match within certain limits) and their assistants are usually better than the high-street box-shifters (Currys, Comet, Dixons etc.).

13. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    This makes me want to tear my hair out. Most of the salespeople just seem so ignorant that things have moved on in the AV world, and can still be heard harping about how "This telly's got 3 SCARTs!" (The name of that infernal connector used as a plural is a pet peeve of mine).

I once worked in such a store for 8 days. It was ghastly. The whole place was just so aimless, the manager spent most of the time in the staff room munching sausage rolls, and what clinched it was when I tried to set up the (mostly widescreen) TVs to display the letterboxed image they were being fed in the correct aspect ratio. I mean, why would you want customers to see a widescreen TV with a squashed image? The manager appeared behind me and asked me what I was doing, so I explained to him. He looked at me completely dazed, squinted, and said "Eh?" as if I was just playing with the TV to pass time. I never went back to the store. I absolutely cannot stand that arrogant attitude, not even bothering to try and understand what you're selling to people.

I think I was the only person on the sales floor who could help customers with queries as to Freeview decoders with RF modulators, NTSC compatibility on TVs etc. Yet I was confined to the back room to stack boxes of toasters. What happened to people who were actually interested in the job getting the positions/training they need?

14. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    That costs money, money the BOD would rather be used on their holidays or golf outings.
    Seriously, the words Dixons and training are onlyused in the same sentence to portrait an oxymoron. Same too for Comet/Curry/PC World!

15. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Overheard a salesman explaining progressive scan on a DVD player the other day. "with a normal TV the picture is scanned from top to bottom, and then pauses, before scanning from top to bottom again With progressive scan it scans from top to bottom and then (without pausing) bottom to top and so on" Almost plausible! He then said "yes it'll work on any TV with a scart socket as lond as it RGB compatible" When the potential purchaser mentioned HDMI, the guy was completely stumped

16. spidermaxx

spidermaxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You'll find that different stores, will have different levels of sales knowledge, all depending on what the managers priorities in that store are.

It's also down to the individual members of staff, as within the company I work (Mentioned in a post above) All the learning is on a database, and it's down to the individual wether or not he want's to learn it!

The reason for this, is managers are more interested in high volumes of sales, and quick sales, as most stores don't have enough staff to spend time with customers, without other customers walking out!

All in all, it's the fault of the directors of these companies, being to tight to actually spend money on staffing, to get enough Staff into the stores in the first place.

Oh, as for HD information, I had to learn it all myself from sites like this, as my company have not published many details on the staff knowledge database :eek:

17. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    My 2p worth.

I was in one of these warehouses the other day looking at the new Samsung LCD. The picture was dreadful, so I asked if he had an HDMI DVD Player he could hook up so I could assess the picture properly. He said "Oh yes, we have a JVC over there but we don't have any HDMI DVD's". :thumbsdow Eh, what? Then he proceeds to find said dvd player and connects it via SCART, which was obviously in composite.

TBH, this kind of incompetence actually works to my advantage sometimes. I have had a lot of customers come into my shop under the impression that they won't buy a Plasma TV as the picture is not as good as the CRT they currently own. Cue me showing the 505 on the wall showing HD1 and a Pio 868 running HDMI and taking of money :D

18. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    I can't help, when reading this thread, thinking about the spotty youth who's voice is just breaking in The Simpsons. The one who's always serving in the shops they visit.

Steve W

19. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,345