1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retail shops in Cardiff or Bristol

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dfield2000, Dec 17, 2003.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I may be asking the impossible here, but does anyone know of any shops (you know, those things you used to go into to buy stuff before someone invented the internet) where I can buy a pj, like the pt-ae200 or 300, or a infocus x1, in the Cardiff or Bristol area, which don't charge rip off prices ?

Cheers.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    www.radfords.co.uk

Suppliers of one or two PJs on the forum, including me. Not as cheap as the net but reasonable RRP discounts and good service, with a great demo room.

I recommend them.

Cap:)

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nice one. Looks like it's a trip down Glocester Road for me this lunchtime.

4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just went to Radford in Bristol - the only thing they had in my price range is the Infocus 4800 for £1200. I've read up on the Infoucs X1, but I haven't heard much about this model

5. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Well,they arent in Cardiff,but the peoples champions"IVOJO" are in Haverfordwest,if you fancy a little drive on this lovely weather:smashin:

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmmm. That's a little too far for me.

I realise you can save alot of money buying online, but it sounds like many projectors are high maintenace - stuff like filters and dust and dead pixels etc, so I'm thinking it might be wise to purchase from an actual 'shop'.

I live in Cardiff and work in Bristol, so I'm trying to find somewhere which stocks £1000 stuff - like the Panasonics, Toshibas and Hitachi - but it's proving almost impossible.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I can confirm that Bristol is a projector ghost town. Its a shame too, as its an ever expanding market with the average consumer showing interest.

Sevenoaks on Whiteladies road stock the odd model, but give em' a call first.

Wouldnt it be great to have a company like nexnix or Ijovo on the door step.

Shame about Radfords only having the new infocus in at the mo. Its the new version of the X1 which has a good picture, but is prone to rainbow.

Cap:smashin:

8. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I also bought mine from Radfords and think the service is great.

Other shops that have some PJs in Bristol are :-

Audio Excellence on Park Street. Have demo room. Bought my screen from there. Nice and freindly

Paul Roberts on Gloucester Road Opp Radfords. Have demo room. Only do one make I think.

Sevenoaks on Whiteladies Road just up from Richer Sounds. Have demo room. I think you have to ring to see what PJs they have so they can set up demos for you.

Laservision on North Street in Bedminster. Only do one make I think. No demo room

Dont know of any in Cardiff

Hope that helps.:clap:

Ghidorah

PS Captain have you read my PM yet ?:confused:

9. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Ghidorah,
    I went into Paul Roberts and the only pj they had was the Infocus 4800 also, but they wanted 1400 for it ! Can't see how they are going to sell many of them when you can get it for 200 quid cheaper literally across the road !

10. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi dfield2000,

Would you buy over the net for a £400 saving? Nexnix currently have the IBM clone version of the X1 for under £800 delivered. the Screen Play 4800 is the same basic machine as the X1 with different software and adaptors supplied. Go to the FAQ sticky at the start of this section for a link to site dedicated to this machine. There is of course the issue of rainbows and limited inputs - but this is a great machine for the price.

Paul

11. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dfield2000,

I went in to P Roberts to demo one but dont know if it was that one but could see the dreaded R a i n b o w s on the one they had in there at the time.

But had a look at the sharp 91 that Radfords had and did not see any at all.

I have the AE300 and think it is good. I have not seen the AE200 so cant comment on it.

Good luck on your search

Ghidorah:smashin:

12. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Aaaahhh !!

I'm finding it so difficult to decide which PJ to go for !

Looks like my budget might be down to 800 quid, so I had resigned myself to the pt-ae200, even though I know in the back of my mind I'd be secretly longing for a DLP.

I spotted the IBM clone earlier and it looks like a great deal for 800, but as you say - there is the rainbow and connectivity issues.

I don't understand why it only has the pc or s-vid input. I've read somewhere on this forum that the picture suffers quite badly when you feed the X1 with s-vid. If I remeber correctly it even went on to say that you shouldn't use s-vid for ANY projector. Would you say that this pj only really performs decently if you feed it via pc ? How have you connected yours ?

Also, are people exagerating about these rainbows or what ? I've heard the X1 talked about a few times as one of the worst offenders - but it can't be all that bad, can it ? I mean, the way some people go on about it, it sounds like it is almost unwatchable ! Surely they couldn't sell something like that - it wouldn't be fit for purpose.

13. Ghidorah

Ghidorah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is so hard to choose what is right for you

The best thing you can do is try to find a demo to see if you see the rainbows or not as not everybody can see them.

Kramer has done a great review on the Sharp 91 PJ on this forum but I would try the other shops that I said about earlier

The other thing is to go onto www.projectocentral.com and look at there reviews and the projector calculator to work out what type of PJ will fit in your room.

14. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi dfield2000,

I have a X1, which when purchased was in the region of £1100 & I have very occasionally seen a rainbow artefact. Of all those who have also seen this unit in action, not a wide sample perhaps 10 other people, no one has ever commented on anything unusual. The connectivity issue is that the unit has a special Svideo socket for component (extra pins) input (interlaced) and uses the VGA plug for progressive so you will need to purchase the adaptor if you get an X1/Clone - these are, I believe supplied with the 4800. But if you are using the Svideo as a component input, you then have no Svideo input, which is very good by the way. So the limitation on the inputs is based on how many sources you will require projecting.

But make no mistake, given the onboard electronics this PJ uses, especially the Pixel Works scaler it is capable of great results.

Paul