Retail News

Roimata

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought there could be a thread about retail which would include all kinds of news.

Here is some John Lewis news to start off the thread: John Lewis announces eight store closures

John Lewis has said it will not reopen eight stores once lockdown eases.

The retail giant, which recently reported big losses, says certain locations cannot sustain a large store.

The closures include four "At Home" shops in Ashford and Tunbridge Wells in Kent, Basingstoke, Hampshire, Chester, Cheshire, and four department stores in Aberdeen, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire as well as Sheffield and York in Yorkshire.

Nearest John Lewis to me is at Exeter. Still 60 miles away. I did wonder if it might be under threat.Only been open a few years but given the south west is a low income area I do wonder how profitable it is.

Last edited:
Not sure that I would miss John Lewis if it went, not a store I bought from regularly and their 'Not knowingly undersold' policy did not seem to be as simple as it once was.

It has been a weird year here at the Co op normally we would have our pay rise announced and voted for.
Min wage goes up in April and i still have not heard anything
Mid counties co op seems to have settled but my one Central England i havent a clue.

The Basingstoke John Lewis is attached to a Waitrose, I wonder if that's staying open?
Haven't been there for over a year, but it always seemed devoid of people inside the John Lewis part. And it's a bit of a hike from the main shopping centre.

Big one in Sheffield is down to close. Sheffield council were banking on them staying to help with recovery in the city so I wonder how that will affect things. It's right across from my office and was always busy, so it will be a shame to see it go. The building is old as hell though and full of asbestos apparently, so if they decide to pull it down it'll be interesting.

My nearest one is in peterbrough and they are going to closing it with the loss of 340 people

I hear that Woolworths might be about to close - I'll piss their miss n mix.

I thought there could be a thread about retail which would include all kinds of news.

Here is some John Lewis news to start off the thread: John Lewis announces eight store closures

John Lewis has said it will not reopen eight stores once lockdown eases.

The retail giant, which recently reported big losses, says certain locations cannot sustain a large store.

The closures include four "At Home" shops in Ashford and Tunbridge Wells in Kent, Basingstoke, Hampshire, Chester, Cheshire, and four department stores in Aberdeen, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire as well as Sheffield and York in Yorkshire.
I guess people shop more online for John Lewis and especially with the pandemic.

I think I have been to the one in York once in the 8 years I have lived here.

I used to go to it all the time as a kid when I lived in Edinburgh with my parents.

It was their "go to" for everything so it has some nastalgia for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom