1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resurrected TV. Is it a miracle?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by staxdoobie, Jun 10, 2003.

1. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this one. Bought a Toshiba 42PW23P Rear Projection TV about a month ago. Given me no problems so far, until...

Watched Never Mind the Buzzcocks last night, switched off, and returned about half an hour later. Switched TV back on, power light came on, etc., but there was no picture at all. No signal whatsoever either from Sky or DVD (both connected via Scart). I could get the TV's set-up menus on the screen, etc. (when the set eventually responded, after some time, to the remote), just no picture.

Anyway, tried switching back on this morning and it was fine again. I've arranged for an engineer to come out anyway, as clearly something was amiss, but I've been told - get this! - that there will be a charge if the engineer doesn't find a problem. It's under warranty, I've only had it a bloody month! Cheeky gets.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    When you say you switched off overnight, then on again in the morning..... did you actually 'cycle' the mains power to the unit?

1: By disconnecting at the mains OR
    2: If the switch on the front of the TV actually kills the power source, rather than putting the set into 'standby' - in other words, if you have switched off at the front, do you have to switch back on at the front, or can you use the remote?

...or did you just put it into standby?

If you 'cycled' the mains power, the most likely thing is that some 'glitch' in the software occurred, which has been resolved by 'rebooting'. It may never happen again. If you don't see the same thing happening soon, I'd cancel the engineer for now.

If it happens again (it's always difficult to prove intermitted faults) if you can, try using a camcorder to videotape the evidence of the problem.

3. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the reply. What you say makes a lot of sense.

As it happens, I think I've isolated the cause of the problem, but still can't put it right when it happens! It appears that if the TV is in stand-by mode (ie - red light illuminated on front), it's by pressing channel up/down to turn the telly on that the problem occurs. Don't ask me how I discovered this, I just did, OK!

DVD/Sky scarts go into an Argos scart switch, which in turn plugs into AV1 in the TV. I really can't understand why it's happening. It's as though if the TV is switched off whilst receiving a signal to AV1 and I then turn on with the channel up/down button, it gets confused that it isn't receiving an AV signal and just bombs out. Is some sort of internal memory in the TV getting confused? Or could it be conflicting with the switch box? I just don't know.

Any more advice?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    Well, from what you say, it clearly isn't right. If you can now reliably recreate the problem, I think you can call for that engineer, who will have little justfiable cause to deny that the problem exists.

5. staxdoobie

staxdoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Just as a final update to anybody who may be interested, the engineer came out to look at my TV today, and was able to diagnose the problem immediately from my description of the fault. He described it to me as a known 'manufacturing fault' with the Teletext board, which he replaced, and now everything is fine. He also told me he had further appointments that day to do exactly the same thing to two other TVs.

He also assured me that the manufacturers had taken steps to rectify the problem. Presumably I got a set from old stock, who knows?

6. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Heard that before about the teletext board. It didn't fix it on theirs though.