1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Results of my pv500 horizontal survey watford

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by oaker99, Oct 16, 2005.

1. oaker99

oaker99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as some of you know, got my PV500 a couple of days ago and after reading the forums went looking for any faults etc. Well, after using the 'DVD Spectacular' disk saw the dreaded line dead centre as per other forum posts.
    It isnt very easy to see with normal films, but seen on Ice Age and similar.

Well, decided that i would go to Watford today and visit the retailers with the PV500 and check myself.

Anyway:

Comet - Yes, line visible when using test disk
    Currys - Yes, line visible when using test disk
    John Lewis - Yes, line visible when using test disk.
    Panasonic shop - At first i thought was not visible but having got the panasonic guy to rig up the dvd player using an RGB feed instead of basic scart settings, Yes, line visible. Although this was the least evident, but still visible.

They were all 42inch i tried. Had an interesting chat with the panasonic guy who didnt believe me till i put the disk on. He said he hadnt noticed it before and had no returns based on it.

Well, not sure what to do now. I have got a replacement coming next week for this one. From my test i am 100% sure that every set is the same!
    Although with normal viewing unlikely to notice the line, especially if you sit more than 10ft away. Hope some of you find the survey useful. As it did take a lot of hastle getting the comet, currys to even rig up a dvd player!!!!

Cheers

OAKER :cool:

2. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Whats the "dreaded line dead center"?

3. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well done for your efforts :clap:

I am not sure I would want one :(

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    if you really look for it then yes you might see it, but ive never seen it on mine, so its not an issue and this is my second one and never saw it on the first either.

5. oaker99

oaker99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update: Contacted the team that do the reviews for the magazines and they are contacting Pansonic to get their views.

Cant wait to find out!

6. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

A bit like having a couple of dead/stuck pixels.

You learn to live with it.. :rolleyes:

7. morganog

morganog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a life Oaker!!!

8. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    That's harsh :thumbsdow

If there is a perceived fault, people should be made aware so they can make an informed judgement :smashin:

9. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    yeah but lets get this into perspective, believe me im the most difficult to please, and ive looked really hard at both the pv500's ive had and ive never seen a line, i just dont think this is an issue along with the buzzing if youre not looking for it.

Ive got a feeling that there alot of people that come on this forums and are just looking for faults, bottom line is if you have any doubt DONT GET IT!!

Leave us to our flawed plasma's, which BTW have a great picture with NOT 1 FAULT!

10. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I for one dont mind the line at all....I have only seen it once and thats when I was close up and there was no signal...and then only cos I looked for it cos people have mentioned it on here...otherwise I think I would have gone for the life of the screen without seeing it. To me it is completely undetectable during normal viewing even when just one colour is on the screen and so I just look at it as thats the way this tv works to bring such gorgeous pictures...it works in 2 halves and thats how its designed.
    On the otherhand if people can see it on their tvs during normal viewing then that is unacceptable and Panasonic should exchange the tv without question....ps btw gr8 idea checking out those Tv,s in the shops tscotsman....its nice to know that it is common among pv500s in general if you own one

11. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Morganog at least Oaker is posting something constructive and useful rather than just pointless remarks like yourself!
    This line has been at the heart of some heated discussions between PV500 users with some saying their plasma was perfect while me and others maintained that this line was on all plasmas and this is just more evidence to back that up but yes this information needs to be out there and its a shame this sort of info is never available on these so called magazine reviews that rant and rave about how its gods gift to man well thats not the case, it may still be the best plasma out there but its by no means perfect. Would be interested to hear the comments of those people that insisted for soo long that their plasma was perfect and had no line or auto contrast and made it more difficult for me and others to determine whether ours had a fault or whether all PV500s suffered. :D

Thx for your work Oaker, much appreicated.

Tscotsman: its not like folk look for faults more like they present themselves to an observant viewer ;) So for anyone who was observant to see the line do you expect them not to post here and determine if it is a fault or normal? I do agree that it means folk like yourself become aware of something that maybe you would never have seen but really you have to expect that on an open forum but its that sort of info that people need when they are deciding which plasma to get.

12. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    For what it's worth: I've had the 42PV500 for about two months now and watch DVD's more or less on a daily basis (hardly any TV). I've seen the line at most two or three times, and only once while a non-uniform screen was displayed (during playback of a dark scene from a DVD). My wife (who doesn't read AVForums) noticed the line once while the screen was blank.

Are either of us bothered by this infamous line? No way -- we love our PV500!! :clap:

13. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was looking forward to the launch of the PV500 as I imagined it would be a killer screen, which it generally is, and I want to get a 42" screen next year.

But you're right, I'll notice (if it had )the buzzing, the contrast changes,screen retention problems and this horizontal line thing. Most people seem happy with their sets 70% according to poll, but I don't want to take the chance with 2 grand to be one of the 30%.I think I'll wait until they bring out an improved version. :cool:

14. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Older sony portable that I own has lines across the screen too side to side and top to bottom.

I suppose it would look something similar to the effect on the Panny plasma, however only noticeable at times and was easy forgotten.

I seem to remember being told that it was a wire that the Sony's used as screen tensioner?

Mind you it might have been the beginning of April and my brain has been fried by too much time on the computer and is from time to time befuddled ;)

:rolleyes:

15. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I've tried everything I can to see the line (using the DVE disc, and 300 hours of watching), and it's not visible on mine. Don't mean others don't have it, just not mine.

I do think it rather funny that those folks who are laying into the PV500s for not being 'perfect' because they're spending £2000 have yet to come up with anything better (at remotely like the price). The Pioneer? Blacks still aren't good enough, IMHO. Would they really rather have a Philips, LG, Samsung, Tiny, etc...?

THe PV500 gets the flak because it's the one to beat. Scrutinise any other screen as closely as some of you guys have the PV500 and you'll find a lot more to moan about.

16. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes, but I want a to watch it, not shag it. It does worry me the amount of love some people have for a TV.

17. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sulis!! LOL! You are still denying it! You made my day. By the way proving its existence is not putting the tv down but just proving its not a fault and that ALL the PV500s are like this. You are an exception to this rule of course.

18. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    And your research is posted where?
    Have you actully contacted 'Sulis'? met? and then tested his tv?
    Claming a whole line of tv's is defective with little or no testing by you, kinda makes you sound like a sad little man.Have you been burnt by panny at some point and find you have to jump on every little issue that arises with one of there products?
    Pioneer 6series have noise issues which can be clearly seen from 1 or 2 feet away, maybe you can use your investigateive (or lack off) skills to get to the bottom of it?

Will.

19. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd love to have that ability to see noise :rotfl:

20. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Picture Noise

Click here for info

Although I must admit rover2002, I can only see noise on my 436XDE when on a freeview channel with very poor quality broadcasts.

21. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes i was aware of that, but thanxs anyway

22. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    im exactly the same as sulis ive never seen the line on 2 pv500's now. Even if it is there i dont care cause i dont notice it and i dont think it can be seen under normal conditions so im not bothered about that at all.

Of course I agree that the purpose of the forums is bring problems to the attention of would be buyers, but for me the line, buzzing, contrast is just not an issue.

As far as im concerned the pv500 is the best plasma out there and its cheaper than the pioneer.

23. oaker99

oaker99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the comments everyone! I am not sad but you must understand if i needed to know if it was a fault with my particular set. If it was obviously i would need to get replacement. If it is inherant with all the PV500s i would know that and would not bother getting a replacement. It was just the fact of not knowing either way. I agree that you dont notice it very often but if it was just 'mine' then i would want it replaced. If it is all PV500s, which from my mini survey appears to be the case (42inch) , on balance i feel i could live with it. I agree the picture otherwise is excellent. I like panasonic and have had a crt panasonic for 8years, so no problem with anything or anyone. PS The pansonic manager swore there is no line until i showed him armed with my demo disk! on his own shop plasma. Do those doubters really not understand why i had to make sure it wasnt just 'my set' that was strange ?

Thanks to all those that have contributed to this subject and we can await the feedback from the magazine, (who said they would respond on the forum after contact with Panasonic). Also the magazine confirmed a 'PREPRODUCTION' model was reviewed (as standard with most reviews) and NOT the final shipped version!!!! .

PS. Should note that i think the issue of the lines is most evident with the brightness, contrast etc. set low. (Ive set my really low, for the run in period)

Also i must say i didnt notice the line on the 37inch but wasnt able to use my test disk on that one

24. oaker99

oaker99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And just to add, no i dont spend my freetime watching test patterns etc. but as this purchase was probably my most expensive (on electrical gear) i want to make sure all was well. PS I agree with tscotsman as i Cant afford the Pioneer and know that nothings perfect! with the panasonic being as near as we can get at the moment.

25. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    tscotsman

OK, I think you've mentioned that countless times.

What was the issue with yours that made you exchange it? The only reason I ask is while you've found every opportunity to post the above you haven't mentioned much about why you had yours replaced.

26. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Priceless, priceless my friend :rotfl:

27. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    FYI Peter it was changed because i thought it was suffering from retention, but it wasnt it was my stupid mistake, so thats 2 Pv500's ive seen with my own eyes and not seen any of the problems that people have noted on here, aswell as of course the Pv500's Ive seen in the shops, thats includes Comet, JL, Dixons. By far the Panny seemed like the best plasma.

The only reason i reiterate that these PROBLEMS are not an issue is that for a helluva lot of people it simply isnt an issue. It seems that some have been persuaded that all of these sets have these problems and thats just plain wrong.

28. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I definitely agree with you on that point, it's exactly the same for the Pioneer but to say
    Well :rolleyes: Best what? Blacks? Maybe, Colour?, Connectivity? Styling? There's alot to be taken into account and just because it's cheaper doesn't make it better, better value for money maybe but not better.

Anyway, I might be able to compare for myself, the company I originally bought the 42PV500 from credited me when I canceled my order but never actually canceled the order, they've called me twice since to ask if I'm still willing to wait. I'm still showing on their website as having one allocated, so lets see what happens.

29. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    well of course its all down to personal preference but i still consider the pv500 to be the best and thats taking everything into account, be it styling, PQ, connectivity, price etc

30. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I owned one of these sets so this thread is of interest to me and i will jump into any thread i wish as this is an open forum so why don't you grow up and post something constructive rather than having ago at me. Go look at some noises are summit :D

This post proves its existence, i similar test was carried out by another member on this forum and i believe he took it one step further and tested 10 PV500s all of which showed the horizontal line so its not a defect but rather a side effect of how the panel was built. Nuff said.

tscotsman: yep agree with your assessment.