Results of a musical DVD player vs PC test

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NaTT, May 24, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Amp = Yamaha A2

DVD Player = Pioneer DV-717 connected using optical Spdif

PC = Fujitsu Siemens Home PC comprising:
    3.2 Ghz processor
    1Gb RAM
    Audigy SoundBlaster 2 (bog standard)
    MediaPlayer 9
    Some unbranded DVD rom (best info I got was HL-DT-ST?) connected using coax SPDIF + 3.5mm jack to female rca adaptor 'cause Audigy don't supply the right connector.

I had the Gypsy Kings, Gypsy Kings CD in both players running at the same time. It's got some good base and percusion so always serves as a good reference. My amp can toggle between inputs so I could switch A-B-A-B... to my hearts content.

Would anyone consider that the optical / coax difference sufficient to re-test?

Anyway, I was mightily impressed by the PC. Certainly better than my xbox which was the last test I did.
    The PC sounded slightly warmer. My DVD player sounds quite "harsh", but I attribute this to greater detail, what some people call layers in the music. I prefer it and wonder if there's anything that can be done to the PC set-up tp get that very slight improvement in fidelity?

PS the difference was very slight. Only really noticable in a back to back test. Some people might even prefer the sound of the PC.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Is the Audigy resampling to 48khz, instead of 44khz, and perhaps causing a loss in definition? I believe the M-audio cards avoid resampling (ie. support 44khz).

3. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Yeah better test would use:

Winamp with ASIO out plugin
    Use ASIO drivers on your soundcard
    ...above means no resampling (?)

There's also a CD-Reader plugin for digital extraction in Winamp just incase it doesn't use it by default.

That would be a better test. It's my current setup, tho I have everything ripped using EAC, encoded with Lame and --r3mix setting. To be honest at times I'm hard pushed to tell the difference but my setup is a £450 Denon AVR1700, and KEF Coda 9s, using a Sony DVD-S715 as a CD Player (What Hi-Fi said it was a fantastic CD player which made a difference with DVD players).

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    ah thanks guys.

win amp certainly does improve matters (always have to remember to point Audiograbber at winamp not MP when I re-build, otherwise my Mp3 come out awful)......
    Still not quite on a par with my DVD player, there's missing trebble and base. BUt less than before.
    I used the CD reader plug-in. Couldn't find the ASIO plug-in?
    Anyways Winamp shows that it's plating away at 44khz, where as my amp when set to not faf, says it's dealing with a 48Khz signal.
    Perhaps this misalignment is loosing the fidelity as you say.

So how do I output at 48K?

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    i found the ASIO plugin here:

http://www3.cypress.ne.jp/otachan/out_asio(dll).html (about 1/2 pages down is the link)

Using ASIO will stop windows doing any resampling but don't know about your sound card :)