Results from NexNix Demo

L

Lydecker

I'm back from a Nexnix Demo for a Panasonic 6 today.

The people who dealt with me were Lucy and Matt who make a great team for combined consumer/technical information.

First of NexNix only sell the corporate models (In both Black and Silver) - the Silver model they stock is NOT the consumer version - it is simply the Corporate model in silver (hence the funny model numbers on their web site). This means that both the silver and black models that they sell come with the higher emission levels then the consumer silver (as discussed in an earlier post).

Not that I demoed the Black model which comes with a RBG/Svideo input card. This PDF (cick here) shows you the defaut inputs you get if you were to buy from NexNix (note this isnt the standered consumer model PDF thats floating round the web).

(Nexnix also sell the consumer silver corporate model but with a SCART card bundled).

We had a few problems with set up - trying to get RGB+S to work for a Digibox with the TY-42TM6Y card (included). Against what panasonic tech support originally told me @ 9am this morning - YOU CANNOT USE RGB+S WITH THE TY-42TM6Y IN THE SERIES 6. You could with the series 5, but NOT WITH THE SERIES 6.

Also against Panasonics word - The TY-42TM6Y comes with BNC connections for the RGB inputs NOT RAC connections (not such a big deal).

We ended up taking the SCART output from the digibox - placing it through a JS converter box which outputs YUV then inputing that to the TY-42TM6Y RGB connections. YOU CAN HAVE BOTH SVIDEO (or composite) AND THE RGB INPUT as 2 inputs (again, panasonic were wrong and claimed this was not possible, but it is!). Also it is possible to have the two video source inputs in Picture-in-Picture mode unlike other plasmas like the Hitachi where you can only have One Video source and one VGA source.

The Screen was excellent. We tested it with Sky, Tivo, and DVD.

We used the following DVD's for testing (straight YUV from DVD) :
-Bad Boys (final airport scene)
-Matrix (intro scene and lobby scene)
-Star Wars 2 AotC (Scene with all the clones being made)
-24 Season 1 DVD (1am Walsh and Bauer shootout scene and 11pm bauer/drazen shoot out) these were good scenes for testing blacks
-Animatrix (intro scene)

I was seriously impressed with the results. The panny 6 produced the best Blacks then any other Plasma I have tested in the last month. By defaut the Contrast level on the plasma is turned right up to the max (I believe panasonic do this to help prevent screen burn??) - however once the visual settings were modified it was possible to produce images which I honistly would match to my CRT (for the DVD testing).

I really wouldent consider buying any other plasma model at this stage and pan to buy one of these bad boys in the coming week from NexNix (just need to figure out my inputs for my equipment!).

I would like to thank NexNix for a successfull afternoon - I recommend them to anyone looking into plasmas, their staff are commited to providing great service and I plan to use them in the future :smashin:

I hope this clears up any questions that were floating around the forums in reguards to the TY-42TM6Y.

NexNix RULE!!!!:kisses:

By defaut the Contrast level on the plasma is turned right up to the max (I believe panasonic do this to help prevent screen burn??)

The reason why the panels (all panels) contrast levels are set so high in Factory's has nothing to do with protecting from screen burn.

When you get your panel a far better strategy for avoiding screen burn is to do the exact opposite..........:D

Lydecker

Sounds like a fun day at NexNix.

Can I just clarify a couple of points (before I get inundated with enquiries and complaints).

01. Panasonic 6 Series standard definition display -
UK Business model - TH-42PWD6BX (Charcoal - all video boards are optional)

UK Consumer model - TH-42PW6B (Silver - normally supplied along with the TY-42TM6TB SCART board).

02. Business Systems 6 Series display:
There is NO official Panasonic UK PWD6 display with a Silver bezel.

Any PWD6 Display in Silver you looked at either:
A. Started off life in Charcoal and had a re-spray.
B. Had a replacement bezel.
C. Is a Euro import (it wont have the BX suffix in its model number) and wont have an ON Site warranty provided by Panasonic UK.

03. Your PDF link:
This link shows the TY-42PWD6UY - this is not a product supplied by Panasonic UK; you'll notice that the info at the bottom of page two all relates to Panasonic in the USA.

If you want a PDF for the TH-42PWD6BX (the only official Charcoal display supplied by Panasonic Business Systems UK) please drop me a line.

04. On site warranty:
Only Displays provided by Panasonic Business Systems UK or Panasonic Consumer UK will have an official Panasonic On-site warranty - imported units would have to have a third party warranty applied.

Best regards

Joe

Jo,

1. True

2. The model was a UK model. From what Nexnix tell me it was corporate in Silver (it was not consumer). This was news to me, but they say it does exsist.

3. Sorry re the PDF - its just that that PDF shows the TY-42TM6Y as coming with the plasma by default. THe BX is here

4. I did ask about Warrenty - they confirmed it came with a one year on site from panasonic. THey also gave them a call to check prices for upgrading it to a 3 year warrenty.

There may be a clue in Nexnix's pricing. They are so cheap. Well below UK trade I'd have thought. As long as they are willing to do the swap out bit themselves, it shouldn't be a problem, but they really should be truthful about the origins of their screens. Did you see the boxes? That's the sure fire way to tell where they are from.

Lydecker

02. Well someone better go inform Panasonic Business Systems UK! they dont supply a TH-42PW6SBX!

For this to be UK it would have to be left over from a 'Special Project' (that's orders over 1000 units) where PWD6 where supplied with Silver bezels - and I dont believe any deals of that scale have been done with the new 6 Series as yet.

Best regards

Joe

PS I'm guessing that you have another thread relating to differing emissions from a Consumer and a Business systems display - with the Panasonic 6 Series they both have the same emissions; they are both built to the 'Consumer' standard.

Originally posted by Joe Fernand
Lydecker

PS I'm guessing that you have another thread relating to differing emissions from a Consumer and a Business systems display - with the Panasonic 6 Series they both have the same emissions; they are both built to the 'Consumer' standard.

Joe,

There is another thread knocking around about this - It wasn't me, but someone did bring up that Corporate models had higher emissions so I took their word for it. However inlight of general public views, I'd be inclined to agree with you with the emissions being the same :)

Joe,
Sorry about the emissions comment, it was probably me again, someone asked why the price difference @ nexnix for grey against silver versions.
I had read on the US forum that the emissions were different and assumed this to be still correct information.
I did say that you had reassured me in an earlier thread that this was'nt an issue anyway.
I'll try to remember this for future use.

Anyway, I wonder why NEXNIX charge different prices if they are both commercial units?!
(unless they are changing the bezels themselves).

Steve.

Actually not, Joe, but just down the road from them! I trust you don't need to know. I left my previous employ over this issue, and what I was 'ordered' to tell customers. I don't give a damn about euro imports, they are after all identical, but it should be made clear what you are buying, and the dealer could swap the screen for you!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom